“Amazing, Affordable, Charming”

Posada San Francisco Old San Juan
Canada
“Amazing, Affordable, Charming”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Perfect place for singles, couples or groups of friends travelling to Puerto Rico. What you save on accomodation, you can splurge on food and drinks in the area. This hostel is opposite Plaza Colon square in a beautiful part of Old San Juan. Lovely cobbled streets full of shops, bars and restaurants are really close by. You can walk down to the boardwalk but the best beaches are a cab drive away. The hostel rooms are air-conditioned and bathrooms are basic but very clean and well maintained. Bathrooms even had fresh towels and each floor has several bathrooms, one next to our room was always available and clean. My favourite feature of the hostel was its charming balconies where you can hang out, read a book or enjoy the amazing sea breeze. They even have kitchens where you can cook your own meals if you choose to. Most tour operators will pick you up and drop you off right in front of the hostel entrance so that was very convenient.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Posada San Francisco is perfect for its location and the price is very good.
If you are looking for a nice hotel with nice decoration, don't go there. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, but it is simply the minimum.
The view is nice though and the people at the reception were very nice and helped us to plan trips. Great value!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 April 2014

By far the best hostel in San Juan/Old San Juan. I did a lot of research before I went to Puerto Rico and The Posada Hostel seemed to have the best reviews. The location is perfect for anyone wanting to see what Old San Juan is about. You are right in front of the Plaza Colon and off the side of one of the historical forts of OSJ. When I arrived I was checked in by Dania, who was really nice and helpful. The check in was extremely quick and she took me to the floor I was staying on and showed me the facilities. I was really impressed with how clean and neat everything was and how extensive the kitchen was. (perfect if you want to check out the local market at LA PLACITA and pick up some food to cook)Always check out the local markets when traveling somewhere new  After unpacking a few things and getting settled, I met some of the other hostel guests which I immediately could tell were the types of people that are easy to get to know and go out with, which was what we did. The next day, I wanted to venture off and do my exploring, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t following victim to all the tourist traps.. I find that some hostel employees can be less than helpful when you ask a million questions, but this was not the case with Dania. I had a list of questions, which I would have felt uncomfortable asking if she wasn’t so approachable. I had questions ranging from,” what bus do you take to get to this place”, and “what place should I go for authentic Mofongo”, “what is the location of this picture that is on the wall”, etc etc. She answered every single one and was absolutely correct… Her recommended Mofongo spot, was 100 times better than the other ones that you are told to go through tourist sites. She told me of a few hikes that are not as touristy as some of the other ones and they ended up being my favorite time of the trip. If it wasn’t for her, I probably would have ended up at Senior Frogs on one of the nights :/ instead of awesome salsa clubs where the music went till early in the morning. Even when I was staying in the 10 person dorm for my last night, it was a great experience and did not have to deal with rude bunkmates or anything like that. The facilities are clean, it is really affordable, the location is amazing and the staff are the best. Definitely coming back to Posada when I return.

-Max April 2014

Room Tip: for a few extra bucks, you can get the private dorm. The 5 person room is good too.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank madmaxamer13
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed in the budgeted tiny private room on the 6th floor. The room was nothing to write home about as it was just bare bones, but a decent shower and bathroom to use, but overall, the place does have a historic feel. The balcony is incredibly gorgeous with great views of the San Castillo fort, the ocean to the left, and overlooking the district. It's affordable, the environment was pleasant. I met many wonderful travelers there. Would definitely go there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Randall_Kimball
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A really lucky find, location couldn't possible be better, and the inside is just as nice. It's right in the middle of old town San Juan, so it's in a very safe and tourist-friendly area with plenty to see nearby. Kitchen facilities inside were also a plus, we were there a week so we cooked several times. One of Puerto Rico's very few hostels, hope they get more like this one!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I went to PR for about 6 nights and it was awesome, I meet a lot of people from all over the world and we still friends! The rooms are ok, the service ok as well.
So,if you are planning to go to PR this hostel could be your best option.

• Stayed May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked at the Posada San Francisco in late February. My girlfriend and I stayed in two different private rooms due to availability. The first night was a two twin bed room (which we pushed together), and the second was a full bed. We were pleasantly surprised to find a mini refrigerators in each room (I recommend storing water, and aloe vera gel in our case because we got sun-burnt). The rooms were clean as well as the large communal washrooms. The hostel must have been close to fully booked, considering we had to switch rooms… that being said, we did not experience prolonged periods of time for a washroom. Lodging at the PSF is modest and perfect for those focused on exploration rather than luxury lodging. The only feedback I can possibly give PSF is the customer service. One young lady seemed very cold and inhospitable; she made us feel like we were checking into the principal’s office. There were no name tags present, but she was petite and Latino-looking with dark hair. However, our second check-in was assisted by an African American young lady who was absolutely pleasant. PSF, I understand it isn’t easy dealing with young travelers from all over the world (I work in hospitality)… but don’t let poor customer service take away from your historic charm and more-than-adequate facilities.

The highlights of PSF are its affordable price and close proximity to anything you want to experience in Old San Juan. You can’t beat the view from the communal area’s balcony, which faces Plaza Colon. Starbucks feens, your barista is less than a 3 minute walk away. PLEASE NOTE: There is a tiny convenience store directly on the corner of Calle San Francisco and Calle O’Donnell, right next to PSF. They sell the most AMAZING home-made empanadas I have ever eaten, hand-made by the shop owner’s wife. We must have purchased a total of 15 throughout our stay, and stocked up when our visit was over.
If you rent a car and are driving to Posada San Francisco (especially on a weekend) you will find a hectic scene on the road with scarce street parking. We found it easiest to post up at a garage on Calle Recinto Sur (3 min walk from the hostel). Please note, there are TWO parking garages side by side on Calle Recinto Sur. We opted for the seemingly modest garage, assuming prices would be cheaper. In reality, you will find the western-most garage nearest to Calle Tanca is cheaper and better-kept.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple