“Exceeded my high expectations”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband, parents, and 2.5 year old enjoyed our vacation at La Terraza Hotel at the end of May 2011. The apartment was clean, well maintained, and beautifully appointed. It was the right size for our family and was well equipped with laundry, dishwasher, air conditioning, etc. The location was perfect. We were close to good restaurants and sights, but far enough away that we did not have tourists trolling down our street at night. The rooftop terrace was closed the week we were there, but we were able to take advantage of it one evening. It really was very serene and romantic. It was a great experience and I would absolutely recommend La Terraza if you are staying in San Juan.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 June 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at La Terraza Hotel before and after our cruise in mid March, 2011. We were skeptical (at the time there were no reviews anywhere on the web) and we RELY on tripadvisor's reviews. If it wasn't for the "special offer" listed on tripadvisor we would have ended up somewhere else. Keep in mind that even though we stayed during the high season, the rates we paid were significantly less than La Terraza's website list.

The exterior of La Terraza is charming, the rooms were luxuriously appointed, the common areas are beautiful, and the location is perfect for anyone looking to explore what Old San Juan has to offer.

We stayed in Apt #4. We were blown away as soon as we walked it. The place was huge! The kitchen was nicer than ours at home (and we love our kitchen!). It had everything you could need. The living room was great. A 55" flat panel TV!? Wow. The bedrooms were just as nice. We had plenty of room and the canopy bed was a nice touch. There is more closet space than you would need if you lived there. The bathrooms may be the nicest rooms in the apartment. Each had architectural stone sinks, tile, and separate wet rooms. Needless to say, the apartment was beyond expectation. I do believe it was the nicest rental I have had the privilege of staying in on any vacation.

The rooftop deck was an added bonus. Within an hour of arrival we were enjoying a cocktail with other guests that had gathered to spend a wonderful evening atop the hotel. We met Kendra (who's also written a wonderful review you should read) and her husband and we all agreed how lucky we were to have taken a chance on this place!

Not everything was perfect. Not having a 24 on-site manager leaves something to be desired. We locked our keys in the room and waiting an hour to be let in wasn't ideal. When Szaritza was at the hotel she was WONDERFUL and helped us with any questions we had. There is still minor to moderate construction going on; nothing that would affect your stay. The elevator was a little too "authentic" for my taste, so I used the stairs. The cafe was not completed, thought what was done was very nice. There were a variety of stray animals in the area, mostly cats. None ever bothered us, and some were quite entertaining, but it was an off-putting just because of the sheer number around. Street parking is available, but difficult and scarce. Taxis are your best bet.

It's a 10 minute walk to anywhere in Old San Juan. There are historical site (El Morro, San Cristobal) 3 blocks from your door. The night life was fun and varied enough that a wide variety of tastes could find something they enjoyed. Never did we feel unsafe, however, I don't think I would have sent my girlfriend out alone after dark. The food! The food was fantastic. Fefo's was our favorite and we ate breakfast there several times. There is a bar just down the street that is perfect for an afternoon drink or a nightcap on your way home. The owner is from the states and he also offered great advice (and tap beer which is rare in OSJ).

My advice: STAY HERE! Try not to pay full price. Any of the full sized apartments are wonderful. I prefer the higher floors, but that a personal preference. Ask for a room with a balcony. Get a quote from your taxi driver before you get in, the rates have a funny way of changing. Bring a cooler so you can spend the day of the roof soaking up the sun. If you're staying before a cruise and need a taxi to the ship, be sure to plan a ride the day before. It is a hike with luggage. We managed without any problems, but anyone not in good shape should consider it. Tour one of the forts. Tour the cemetary. Don't expect to get off cheap in many places. Price are comparable to the states, and in some cases a little higher. Look for coupons and freebies in local papers/flyers. And Have Fun!

Room Tip: Top Floor, Room with a Balcony. Ask for 4A.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ValueReignsSupreme
Reviewed 7 May 2011

La Terraza is a small hotel in the perfect part of San Juan. It has been beautifully restored and is decorated very stylishly. It's located on a quiet street, but is just a few blocks from the more noisy and bustling parts of OSJ. The rooms are very clean, the staff is extremely responsive and helpful (especially Saritza, who brings a lot of heart to managing the hotel), and the amount of space for a family is very generous (two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen and living room with sleeper sofa). Since the hotel is so new, there are a few areas that are still in the "needs improvement" stage, such as: the hot water and water pressure in the showers (repairs were being made as we were leaving, so this may no longer be an issue), and the fact that there is no valet parking even though this is listed as an amenity on the website (there is street parking if you can find it, and a parking garage a few blocks away). However, the view from the rooftop terrace made up for any glitches we experienced as a result of the hotel being so new! I gave La Terraza a "five" in all categories, but a "four" overall because of the few kinks that still need to be worked out to earn a top overall score, as well as the fact that the cafe has not yet been opened (there are plenty of dining options nearby). My family definitely plans to return to La Terraza and I look forward to upgrading my overall score to a "five" once the water and parking aspects of the hotel have all been fully worked out and the cafe has been opened for dining.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We were looking to sat at Old San Juan during spring break and we were lucky enough to find La Terraza de San Juan Hotel. We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment/suite and it was gorgeous... tastefully decorated...simple and yet elegant. Huge kitchen, beautiful bedrooms with extremely comfortable beds & pillows. Last but NOT least… the terrace on the top floor had an amazing view; it was a delight to sit up there at night and enjoy the astounding Caribbean breeze. The location was perfect! Close to many restaurants & attractions & plenty of shopping locations. Zsaritsa, the manager, was very charming and extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the area and made us feel right at home. We would recommend this to anyone and look forward to visiting and staying at La Terraza de San Juan again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank beccka1
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Arriving at this hotel was a pleasant surprise. We ended up arriving to San Juan several hours before check in and Szaritsa(sp) made it possible for us to put our luggage in the room so we could explore town. We were a family of 3 adults and 2 children and there was plenty of room in the 2 bedroom unit #5. The place is a mix of old style and modern. The kitchen was beautiful and the living room had 2 large couches with a flat screen tv. The beds were comfortable and very nice bathrooms. The upstairs patio is beautiful amazying views and beautiful plants. The place is just a few blocks away from the main shopping area and restaurants. We could walk to the forts and the free trolley. Whenever we called Szaritsa quickly responded. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bettegirl
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My husband & I stayed two nights at La Terraza Hotel before we boarded a Southern Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. The hotel is fairly new and we took a gamble on staying there, as there were no online reviews at that time. It was a gamble that paid off!

Szaritza, the hotel manager, is energetic and friendly! Before our trip, we chatted on the phone and via e-mail and her correspondence was prompt and informational. Upon our arrival, she provided us with a map and made recommendations on some local bars, restaurants, site, etc.

The hotel is gorgeous - beautiful tile, bright colored stucco and hand painted wall designs/borders. Our apartment had a full kitchen and living room and Szaritza even left us a bottle of champagne, a sweet treat and rose petals on our bed as a special honeymoon surprise.

The hotel restaurant wasn't yet opened when we arrived, but we were within blocks of some great restaurants and bars and never ONCE needed a cab (aside from the ride to/from the airport). We even walked (with our luggage) to the cruise ship port with no difficulties. We felt completely safe walking the streets, at any hour of the day/night.

We will DEFINITELY be back and we hope to bring our family and friends. This hotel is a gem in Old San Juan!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I found this absolute gem of a hotel on Tripadvisor. Fairly new to the BNB hotels I decided to give it a try and book my stay. From the first phone call to my day of departure Zeritza was amazing!! She made sure to book my stay and re-confirm a few days before. When I arrived she made me and my friend right at home. She gave us a tour and answered all of our questions. The building is absolutely gorgeous. The architecture is rustic and authentic spaniard style with a modern flare. We stayed in the one bedroom apartment. My room was equipped with extra linens and the bed was ultra comfy. The terrace offered breath-taking views of the island. It was very quiet at night even though we were at the heart of it all. The restaurant, not open at the time, will be a big bonus offering authentic puerto rican cuisine. I am looking forward to returning to the island and will definitly stay at La Terraza. Thanks to Zeritza and the staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple