“Great small place”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Our party of five stayed here for only one night in March so we could show our relatives around Old San Juan before departing the next day. It was perfect for our needs! Excellent location with the sights within easy walking distance. The manager, Joe, was gracious and simply fabulous! Quirky and lovely decor. Beds comfortable and showers were fine. Having a kitchen was a definite plus. Morning breakfast provided by Joe was excellent. The terrace on top of the building has beautiful views of the city which are especially enchanting at night with the city lights. Public parking close by with discounted rate for guests if you are driving. Much better-- and less expensive-- than 2 separate hotel rooms. Would love to come again!

Room Tip: I understand all rooms are quite similar except for the number of beds
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 May 2012

My husband and I would definitely stay here again and have recommended the hotel to all of our friends. We had a wonderful time. We only stayed two nights pre-cruise, but that was plenty of time to get a feel for the place.

Joe Uribe, owner/manager, was a most wonderful host. He certainly understands the importance of providing a high level of service to guests. I emailed Joe prior to booking and he was readily available and responsive. I appreciate this very much. The hotel itself far exceeded my expectations.

Upon arrival at the airport, we easily located our driver. He was quite friendly and helpful with pointing out good local eats. We were in our room in 10 minutes flat. Joe helped us with our luggage and then took the time to explain the city layout, and gave us a list of good places to eat, and things to do.

Our room was more than adequate in size. The room came with a fully equipped kitchen, a washer/dryer (no detergent, buy yours at Walgreens at the town square), and a balcony that lined the entire side of one room. Air conditioning was fabulous. The living area was extremely large and comfortable. I loved the decor and furniture. Very nice. The bedroom was perfect in size. The bathroom was not large but suited our needs fine. One suggestion: Hooks are needed for towels, clothes, etc. The door would be a good place for these or just outside the door.

I was impressed with the secure doors and entrances. We used the roof top terrace one evening found it an enjoyable place to hang out.

I had forgotten to bring my cruise documents, and so Joe let me use his office to get them printed. Every morning Joe brought us French press coffee, baguettes, cheese, meats, fruits, and fruit juice.

The location was absolutely perfect. We walked to El Morro, an evening festival, the town square, lots of exciting restaurants (including El Barrachino - the flamenco show is a must see - be sure to make reservations and show up 15 min early). Finally, for other cruisers, we rolled our luggage to the port with no problem at all. It is all downhill. There is a CVS right next to the port so we rolled our luggage in there and did some shopping just before boarding.

Starting our vacation at La Terraza was a great choice. We felt like we got two vacations by starting here and then enjoying our cruise. Any questions please email me. Thanks Joe for a great time!!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room.
3  Thank traveltripper
Reviewed 22 May 2012

La Terraza De San Juan in old San Juan Puerto Rico was amazing. It is located on 262 Calle Sol. Old San Juan. I had a great time in San Juan and staying in this Hotel which was more like a personal suite made it an incredible experience. This suite was about 800 to 1000 Sq. ft. The decor was in old Spanish style and very comfortable. Joseph Uribe the owner was extremely nice and helpful; he brought us a delicious breakfast every morning. The breakfast was fruit, a pastry and Puerto Rican coffee. It was central to everything in Old San Juan. I will plan on coming back and staying here again in the future.

3  Thank JHTravler71
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I am one who over researches every detail of our trips. We loved our stay here and wouldn't consider any place else when returning to SJ. First of all, Joe is an excellent host. Not one problem from the time I emailed him to him helping us with an early morning cab on our departure day. The location is superb. It is a quiet and charming street but you are literally 2 blocks or so from everything minus the traffic and the late night commotion. The whole town seemed very safe to walk at night. The apartment is large, well equipped, and VERY clean. Super comfortable beds and wonderful A/C! The roof top deck puts the place over the top though. After dining out we purchased beverages at the nearby Walgreens and adjourned to the roof each night. The view of the city lights, the harbor, the skyline, lit up cruise ships was spectacular. In the mornings we enjoyed opening our balcony doors and drinking coffee as we watched the occasional passerby. I seriously contemplated El Convento and a few other inns but why would you pay more to be in a crowded and noisy area? Joe will help you find or get to wherever you want to go. I would give La Terraza 10 stars if I could!!

Room Tip: We had 3rd floor facing the street with Juliet balcony. Apartment below us had full balcony.
3  Thank DJTA
Reviewed 19 May 2012

The hotel is a perfect mix of Mudejar architecture and funky Antilles exterior paint. There were four adults in our group, and we stayed in a two bedroom unit, roomy, each bedroom with a private bath, kitchen and living room. The hotel is classic old San Juan, on a hill far away from the noise of the cruise ships.

The owner/manager, Joe Uribe, is highly knowledgeable about Puerto Rico and San Juan; and brings a daily breakfast to your unit of fresh tropical fruits, fresh bread and delicious coffee. The hotel even sends you a useful guide to Old San Juan with your room confirmation. There is a great terrace on the roof with a view of Old San Juan. Uribe is completely bilingual.

The price was reasonable -- $275 for four adults. I chose this hotel from Trip Advisor reviews and could not believe that everybody raved about the place: they're true; kudos, Joe.

Room Tip: Unit 6 was perfect for four adults, and essentially a penthouse suite.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank beechmk
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is the fifth time in several weeks that I've spoken to a property in San Juan that promised a room, then reneged. This was one extremely disappointing since I spoke directly with the owner, Justino. I initially inquired about a home rental, but when that wasn't available, he directed me to La Terraza, which had availability. I even sent him all my payment information. He then informed me (the next day) that it was a two night minimum. I understand that it's peak season, but shouldn't he have known that already? Poor customer communications, but at least he followed up unlike some of the other properties.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank BeckyinCleveland
LaTerrazaHotel, General Manager at La Terraza de San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

I lament your poor experience with Justino and the other five properties that offered and reneged. I can certainly sympathize with your frustration.

However this has nothing to do with La Terraza de San Juan.

I would like to clarify that Justino is an independent, short-term rental broker who on occasion refers guests to us. He has his own company. He is neither the owner nor an employee of La Terraza de San Juan.

There was no communication whatsoever between you and La Terraza de San Juan, therefore I find it inappropriate that you have posted a comment about poor communication on our review page.

I wish your experience had been different but I also wish you had posted your complaint on their pages, not mine.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I would highly recommend this place. We will definitly stay again. We just returned from a trip to Puerto Rico. Our party had four adults and two small children. This place was very comfortable, clean and in a great location within Old San Juan. Our two bedroom suite was well decorated and had a lot of space. A few of many pluses to note include: beautiful kitchen, great furniture and high ceilings. It also had a common terrace which is fantastic. We had dinner there during one of the nights.

The property manager was a wonderful host. We arrived at 3 AM in the morning. He was there to great us and helped with our luggage. He also provided many suggestions.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family