“A Secret Hidaway in Old San Juan”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 11 October 2013

What a great bed and breakfast our son found for us! We stayed in room #4 and #2 before and after a Caribbean cruise. Our only request was to stay in a hotel with authentic Puerto Rican ambiance. This we found in La Terraza. The rooms are very spacious with 14 ft. ceilings, colorful, comfortable and modern without losing its latin flavor. The bathroom is so wonderful large like the 2 bedrooms with modern amenities. I can't say enough about Devon, the assistant manager and Joe,the manager. Both are friendly, warm and the best resource persons for anything you want to do or see in San Juan. We received personalized, friendly, service with breakfast nicely laid out for us in the kitchen counter when we woke up. The hotel is within walking distance to all services and historical sites. We will definitely go back to La Terraza and hope you try it too. Thank you Joe and Devon, we appreciate the good coffee, conversation, warmth and excellent service!

Room Tip: Ask Devon for the best room available. We stayed in room #4 and room #1
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed in room 4. The construction noise everyone else was complaining about was very mild. Wonderful place both Joe and Devon are great. I will definitely stay here again in the future. A hidden gem in the middle of old San Juan for sure.

Room Tip: Swimming Pool will be a very nice addition once it is built :>
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Natlus74
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I had a wonderful time here. The staff is wonderful. Where else can you check in and they give you a complimentary espresso. I usually avoid continental breakfasts, but they have the best. They hand you a cool cloth towel when you come in off the streets. And its within 5 minutes walking of everything in Old San Juan. My room was a little quirky, but I expect that in old buildings. The rooftop patio was great for hanging out in the evening. They are building a rooftop swimming pool and bar, and that is my only complaint. The contractors started too early in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for Devon, the manager. She will take care of you
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank TEX2MD
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I really loved this hotel, and hate to say anything negative, but we did have one issue while staying there.

First, the pros: Our room (3A) was beautiful, with a full kitchen and living room, nice TV, washer/dryer, great closet space, powerful A/C, high ceilings, and nice little balcony. I could not have been happier with the room! We traveled with our 2-year-old, and it was great having a separate room for him to fall asleep in (the hotel provided a Pack'n'Play). I loved the in-room breakfast as well. Other reviewers have said it simple, and that's true, but it was definitely enough for me, healthy, and so convenient. The location was ideal, and we enjoyed the roof terrace.

Now, the con: I have seen construction on the building next door mentioned in another review, and I have to say that it almost ruined our trip. It began at 7am on our first morning (after our delayed flight got us in after midnight!) and sounded like someone was hammering a nail directly into my skill. The noise is deafening, ruined my sleep, and scared my toddler. After talking to Devon (who is lovely), I learned that the construction is not supposed to begin until 9am, which would have made a big difference. Also, the work does not happen on the weekends, so if your stay there is not M-F, you should be fine. Devon apologized for the early morning with a bottle of wine, which was much appreciated.

I really recommend this hotel, but before staying there again, I would call in advance to see if the building next door is still having work done!

Room Tip: We loved room 3A for ourselves + our toddler, but before staying there again, I would call in advanc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Megan L
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I just stayed at La Terraza during Labor Day and I was so impressed. They have married the old colonial charm with modern amenities with phenomenal hospitality. This hotel is extremely well located if you want to enjoy the charm of Old San Juan, its history, the forts and castles, restaurants shops and nightlife. The free wifi makes it very business friendly. Clean, charming, incredible hospitality by the staff, oh and I forgot, the view from the rooftop terrace is incredible! Def my favorite place to stay in San Juan.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Our stay was in the two bedroom apartment with another couple. It was comfortable, spacious and the décor was very cute. We had a European style continental breakfast delivered to our door every morning and the room was serviced daily. The owners were very nice and very very helpful, they even helped organize a birthday surprise. From the hotel everything in Old San Juan was only a short stroll away. The upstairs terrace is a hidden little gem and recommend sunset drinks there. I would stay there again if I went back to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley B
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We traveled as two couples and absolutely loved staying in La Terraza. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was beautiful. The decor was old Italian feeling with all the modern conveniences. Joe met us when we arrived and was so nice, helpful and knowledgeable about the city. He even helped my friends to organise a surprise bottle of champagne to be waiting for me when we got back from a day trip for my birthday. We took it straight up to the gorgeous roof top terrace which has stunning views of the city. It was so much nicer staying here than in a hotel, we felt much more at home. Also loved the breakfast which was brought up to us at our convenience. Great location too-the city is small and you walk to everywhere from La Terraza.

I don't have anything bad to say about La Terraza at all! We would come back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends