“Perfect hotel”

Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We only stayed for one night and wished it was for longer. The hotel is in a fantastic location in the old town. It has a lovely balcony to chill out on and see the sunset. The pool is small so not great for keen swimmers but perfect for those that just want a dip.
We had a lovely room with a big balcony with two chairs. We were lucky with the room as I suspect it was one of the best.
There was a hair dryer and iron in the room and the shower was really good.
They were really helpful when we turned up and told us all the best places to go. The breakfast was really lovely, fresh fruit and warm bread. Can't fault it at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
4 Thank caro6161

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We booked this for a 6 night stay and I was keen to find a boutique hotel with a bit of character. I wasn't disappointed! The hotel is in a lovely part of Old San Juan, lovely narrow cobbled streets, brightly coloured houses, very near to restaurants and quaint little bars.The hotel is really quaint, nicely decorated with local art and very comfortable. The staff will serve amazing locally grown coffee and gorgeous little cakes biscuits if asked. Our room (221) was on the 2nd floor overlooking the street. Although past reviews have mentioned noise, we weren't really aware of this as the bed was very comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. The many staff were always happy to help with booking taxis or trips around the island and we organised a fantastic trip through them to the island Vieques (a day trip on a small plane!) and also a rental car. We had breakfast there on some mornings which fairly basic but lovely but sometimes we had to miss out as the earliest you can have it is 8am and we were keen to get out and make the most of our holiday! If you can wait until 9am breakfast on the terrace at the top of the hotel makes a lovely change. There is a plunge pool up there too although we didn't use it but it looked lovely. Thanks to Sofia, Princess and all of the other staff who were so great (but who's names I didn't catch) you made our trip to Puerto Rico really memorable and we would highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Our room was 221, on the 2nd floor with four windows and a long narrow balcony overlooking the stree...
2 Thank JoannaPickering
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

On our way back from our timeshare in the Caribbean we had an extra day in San Juan due to flight schedules. We had chosen this boutique hotel based on its reviews, and it did not disappoint. The staff was EXCEPTIONAL and the room was extremely comfortable. The roof terrace with the plunge pool was a nice addition. The hotel is pretty much in the middle of Old San Juan and we walked from one end of OSJ to the other. We are looking to bookend our Caribbean trip next year at La Terraza. Hope to see you there!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ScottAHall
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We absolutely loved this hotel! It is a small, boutique style hotel located close to everything in Old San Juan on Calle Sol within walking distance of El Morro, the Cathedral, lovely restaurants & shopping--almost everything you would want to visit in Old San Juan.
My husband and I wanted to just go somewhere for a long Easter weekend to rest and relax. I found the hotel on Trip Advisor and read all the reviews. Every one was excellent and sounded like just what we were looking for. The hotel originally was one building built @1900 and a few years ago the building next door was purchased and also renovated. There is now a large terrace on the top with a lovely knife edge plune pool, bar and shady areas to sit and read/relax. Our room was in the new building on the 3rd floor with a lovely balcony with views to the water. It had high ceilings, a lovely decor and very large bathroom with a fabulous shower. The staff was cordial, helpful and always ready to give suggestions for dining, excursions, etc. The hotel met our every expectation and I would highly recommend it. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner Gustavo and also his parents who were visiting and they immediately made us feel like old friends. Gustavo is continuing to renovate new areas of the hotel to enhance a guest's stay. He is adding a gym and wine bar in the lower level as well as a new breakfast area. This is a true small family style luxury hotel that tastefully has created a quiet oasis to rest & relax in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor rooms in the back with balconies have the best views of the water.
3 Thank Kathleen B
montclair, ca
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

It's a beautiful boutique hotel with a lot of personality of old san juan. The staff was very friendly and the complimentary breakfast was yummy, fresh fruit salad, french bread, crossiant, turkey cold cut, juice and coffee. Location is excellent for exploring old san juan. The only problem I had was the hot was only luke warm. After two nights, I finally brought it to their attention and they were was nice to resolve the issue by upgrading us to a jr. Suite in the newer section of the hotel. If it was not for this issue, I would give them 5 stars. My tips for staying here is to ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel, everything inside has a modern, but yet boutique feel. Also, if you plan on just visiting old san juan, a rental car is not needed. The hotel is within walking distance of everything.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank newtraveler2013
Las Vegas
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for two nights. It is ideally located in Old San Juan. The room was very nice, large, clean and bright. The rooftop offers an excellent view of the city. The staff was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. The breakfast each morning was simple and quite good. It is in easy walking distance to good restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Dmil28
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Luxury has many shades, and some of them stand far from the mere and easy concept of opulence and richness. Travel these days, is all about life event and experience. which in one way or the other, while rough around the edges, leave an unforgettable mark, La Terraza de San Juan, is to me best described as homemade luxury. A true rustic colonial take on Puerto Rico, with impeccable charisma y local traditional camaraderie, deliver by it owners themselves and their casual but professional staff. Located in the heart of Old San Juan, over Calle Sol, La Terraza de San Juan was my ideal epicenter, to discover this charming district, unveiling a new face of Puerto Rico, full of traditions and heritage, which I truly enjoyed. A cute simple getaway trip of three days.

I have been many times to Puerto Rico in the past, but never focused or stayed in the historic UNESCO World Heritage district of Old San Juan, other than walking but the main promenade where the massive Cruises and all tourists where located. That was for me a bit of a turn off, but since it was a short trip, I decided to take the chance. I checked the website of La Terraza of San Juan, (which BTW does not do honor nor truly represents the style of the hotel, plus as for today, does not show the suites and rooms of the new building) and I must say I was not quite impressed with their look, and this got me thinking if I should really stay with them of opt for the classic and safe choices like El Convento or Gallery Inn, right a few blocks away from them. My email exchange with the owners began, and they were so happy to have me come, friendly and happy, that I've decided to go along. Plus I did some background check on them via TripAdvisor and the comments were all very positive.

I arrived to the hotel, 19th Century Spanish colonial building, after a short 15 minutes drive from Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, and the minute I stepped into Old San Juan, a special feeling began growing on me. We drove through the charming and colorful narrow cobblestone paved streets, until we reach our destination. To a warm welcome by Beatriz (my host) and her on-duty staff. Check in was not even so, I felt like my family were waiting for me to arrive and taking me, after a characteristic cup of local coffee, to my old room where I grew up. You know that feeling.

The hotel consists into two buildings. The first building, which was taken by them and turned into a Boutique Hotel, for the last three years, where they have mostly rooms with full kitchens and from 2 to 3 bedrooms (ideal for group of friends or families). But I was hosted at the new building, which adds 16 new rooms and suites to the property, upgrading their classification now, to a full hotel. FYI the hotel is still undergoing some constructions, so keep that in mind if you are planing to follow my advise and travel within the next few weeks.

I must admit, I am a shaded traveler, and I have an avid eye for details and hotel operations overall. As I walked into their property, my first instinct was, ... If I would be a walking client, most probably I would have walked away, and checked in at El Convento hotel... just to be safe...". After spending 3 days with them, I realize, that would have been a great mistake.

I was hosted at a street view with balcony Suite, and I must say in full honesty that I LOVED my suite. I loved the simplicity of it, but still decorated with great minimalist taste. My bed was EVERYTHING, and old wood poster bed, which was so beautiful and went along so well with the colonial concept of the hotel and the Old San Juan experience. I like the fact that the original wood window doors had no glass allowing the life of the streets to come live and present into my suite, despite being perfectly refrigerated by air conditioning and fans. Bathroom was of a very comfortable size. High wood beamed ceilings, lovely colonial artisanal tile floors. FYI my suite was #321. I STRONGLY recommend it. Daily breakfast included, WiFi, TV, Minibar. They are in the process to finish they a small fitness center room. Would I suggest my clients to stay at any of the room, hmmmm most probably not. But I do feel very confident recommending the rooms/suites at the new section of the hotel.

Their rooftop terrace, where I had breakfast every morning, offers spectacular views of San Juan Bay and historic Old San Juan.

Do I agree and endorse their classification as a Luxury Hotel, well probably not. But I do 100% certify, my own particular classification as understated homemade luxury. A luxurious experience of a local Old San Juan house, in a rustic very comfortable way. If you are looking to experience and submerge into the Old San Juan charm, then you cannot go wrong. The staff is friendly and professional, everyone is there to make you feel welcome, share their stories and guide you to the best options, restaurants and tips to make your visit to Old San Juan more enjoyable.

La Terraza de San Juan, was my ideal headquarter for my recent visit to Old San Juan, located on Calle Sol, 15 minutes away from the International Airport, Condado and Santurce, which were the spots were other than Old San Juan, I hang out for restaurants and fun.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo