“BETTER THAN PICTURES! Living like a posh local.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Manila, Philippines
“BETTER THAN PICTURES! Living like a posh local.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I moved to San Juan area (from Condado's Casa Castellana Bed and Breakfast) when my husband left and I had 3 days left in Puerto Rico. I booked my stay in La Terraza Hotel and it seriously blew me away! The pictures doesn't do it justice. So from my Snorkeling trip at Culebra I drove to San Juan and found street parking *lucky lucky* then went to the hotel and got so excited. It looks old but when you go inside the vibe and décor is awesome! The front desk people are so nice (shout out to Princess and Isander). Their front desk is also a "bar". They serve coffee and tea and sweets FOR FREE! Yum! And apparently the antique coffeemaker has a name! (I forgot hehe) It's 2 buildings adjacent together and I was assigned to the newer wing. I think they hay 24 rooms available in different configuration. I was on a budget so I asked for the cheapest room since I was alone... but when I went to my room (interior, no windows) It's HUGE! with modern bathroom. The bed is HUGE and the room smells sooooo nice!!! I fell in love. Oh yeah and the roof top!?!?? OohLala!!!! wading pool and breakfast with a view. Just the place to be! (I feel guilty my husband wasn't there to enjoy it with me) Great location. quiet street. near yummy restaurants (like st germaine and fatty's). I can't stop raving about it.... ok fine... the main entrance was jamming my entire stay so I hope they got that fixed. Definitely a next time for this place. Oh and during my stay... maybe only 6 guests were there too. Peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank UrbanGypsy0220

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We tacked 2 nights in Old San Juan onto the end of our honeymoon (starting in Fajardo) and we loved staying here! We stayed in 3A which was wonderful. The staff is phenomenal - so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Location was great! Rooftop pool was nice when our feet needed a break from walking around! Breakfast on the terrace was a treat. The only downside was when I made the reservations, the gal made it sound like we could find parking on the nearby street very easily since we had rented a car for our whole trip. This was not the case. My husband drove around getting quite lost trying to deal w/ OSJ traffic and multiple one-ways trying to find parking. He finally came back to the hotel and they told us where to park in a structure (luckily there are 2 - one is very expensive and the other is very reasonable) about a 10-minute walk away. Next time, I think we'd ditch the car - although it was nice to drive over to Condado for an afternoon (it's about a $30 round trip cab ride). Overall, we loved La Terraza - would definitely stay here again if ever back in San Juan!

2 Thank swimRx
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived after 10 pm and Franklin was smiling and ready to greet us at the front door. He made my wife an espresso and also poured drinks for us (alcohol is everywhere in Puerto Rico) to create a truly soft landing in San Juan. Franklin also gave us all of the information we would need for the weekend and made me generally feel like we were in good hands. The building is very distinctive with high ceilings and funky staircases. The furnishings are minimal but very functional and stylish. Shower is huge and artfully tiled, but hot water is not consistent. Excellent complimentary toiletries. Comfortable bed and good continental breakfast served in a striking rooftop setting. Our two favorite places in Old San Juan were within two blocks of this place. Struck up a long conversation with Jose Enrique, a member of Fantasmes, who had recently played in my hometown of Austin. Did I mention the rooftop plunge pool overlooking Old San Juan? Any time I return to San Juan, I'll be staying here.

4 Thank SigmundBloom
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Hey...I'm just going to sound like a recording so why repeat all the excellent reviews. Browse through them, all the good is absollutey true.
I just have to mention Old San Juan is where you want to hang out, not in the hotel. That being said, the cute, small infinity pool area is great for catching a little sun and unwinding after a day in and around the area.
The front desk staff, José and Darío were incredibly helpful. We were celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary and the staff treated us like family, it was sooo nice. I just can't wait to go back for a more extended stay.

Room Tip: The Isabel La Católica room, private balcony, super spacious. 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cornelia, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

When I made the reservation, this gem in the heart of Old San Juan was rated #1. I now know why. Very quaint location. I am told the hotel is only 3 years old, although the building was built in the 1800's. The construction and decor is wonderful. The old doors with metal latches and closeable louvers, The exposed beams in the ceilings, it makes you believe you are in a hotel from the 1800's. But upon seeing the kitchen and bathroom, the individually-controlled a/c units in the rooms, the excellent wifi, one would think this was the most upscale Ritz-Carlton around. We stayed in Unit 5, with two bedrooms. There were doors that opened so you could stand out and look down the street. Note to families with small children- these doors did not seem to have any way to be locked! The iron grating on the "porches" needs to be replaced due to corrosion. I leaned against it and it seemed solid, but it looks suspect. The elevator, although new, is very slow and very small. Good for moving luggage up and down, but we used the stairs most of the time as it was quicker and healthier. The kitchen was well-appointed, but we did not use it in the 2 days we were here. The plunge pool on the roof, with the view of the city, is a really neat spot to hang out in the evening. A word about taxis. We took a taxi with a driver that had never heard of, or ever been to La Terraza. We got a 30 minute "tour" of old San Juan (terrible traffic) before finding it. My advice would be to call the hotel and have THEM call you a taxi that is familiar with the hotel and save yourself some time. I will not have to surf Tripadvisor or any other websites next time we go to San Juan as we will only be staying here in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were so pleasantly surprised. Beautiful old hotel in the heart of Old San Juan. Felt safe & welcomed. The staff was so very helpful. We cannot wait to go back. Yes one elevator had a mind of it's own but the other one always worked. Love it and we did not want to leave.

The staff helped with suggestions that worked out beautifully and made reservations for us. Again...can't wait to go back. Thank you all for everything.

Room Tip: Room 122 was great and beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen T
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This 24-room boutique hotel is located in the heart of old SJ – short walk to the Cathedral and both Forts. The service is laid back, not “overwhelming” like in huge hotels, but is impeccable nonetheless. We arrived early and the room was not ready (Check-in is at 3p) but we got a warm welcome, an awesome espresso, a cool glass of fruit infused water, a beach towel to sit by the pool on the terrace and a friendly talk about the city.

The Terrace: the terrace is nice but underdeveloped. They can really do a lot with it but they are still experimenting (for example, they open a bar on Fri but not on weekends); there is really no ambience – just a good space. There are comfortable chairs and tables and you can score some shade and pop a cold one. The pool is just a small plunge pool but it is still nice to sit on the roof top of an old city…in a pool.

The Room: the room was unusual and gorgeous. It was more like an apartment. When we entered, we walked into a living room-type setting with tall windows. There is a comfy couch, a table with a lamp, an iHome device, a retro standing clock and some other décor. The room has its own AC so it was a real breeze to walk in there after a long walk in the 85 degree heat! The next room is the bedroom, also with own AC! It has a large, comfortable high-mattress bed, a plasma TV (regular channels, Netflix), a mini fridge (Ex: water: $1.50; beer: Heineken $3; Madella $2.50, Moet Rose $79, chips/chocolate/nutrition bars $1.50-2.50, etc.) and a separate (glass door) shower and bathroom (also glass door). When you turn on the lights, give it time for it to get from dim to bright.

Breakfast: your stay includes a complimentary breakfast. It is served between 8-10a and guests are allocated a time slot because the hotel is usually full and the dining area only seats about 20 people. The breakfast was already on the table when we got down. There was orange juice, a generous fruit bowl, butter, Nutella spread, jam, soft white bread, some cheese and ham. Everything was fresh and delicious but if you are looking for a fuller breakfast you’d have to go out.

Logistics: Check-in is at 3p; check-out is at 12p but you can still use all facilities (roof, coffee, pool, etc.) if say, your plane does not leave until later that evening.

Restaurant Recommendation: A few blocks down the street (on same street as hotel) is an excellent bistro called St. Germains. Food is so delicious and you can taste the freshness of the produce (we tried salads and sandwiches). There is a full bar and they serve brunch too. We went there a few times during our stay in SJ and were not disappointed. Enjoy and have fun!

6 Thank blackslon