“Super cool hotel, beautiful from top to bottom!”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
“Super cool hotel, beautiful from top to bottom!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The room (#6) was really great. Truly your own apartment in Old San Juan. The two bedroom, two bath with full kitchen served us well. There were four of us (two couples) and you never felt like you had a lack of privacy within the room. There were a few things missed when they cleaned and prepared the room initially but when I brought it up to management, it was corrected immediately. We stayed for 6 nights and could have easily stayed much, much longer. Breakfast was served in our room on time every morning. The cleaning staff did a great job and the best part; you never even saw them, you just knew they had been there. The manager Franklin and all of the staff at the front desk were very accommodating. The rooftop patio/pool is truly a treasure of this hotel. Once they get the rooftop bar completed, it will be quite the experience! The hotel is centrally located to EVERYTHING. So easy to get around Old San Juan and you find yourself never far from the hotel. The charm and character of this hotel will not disappoint. Do yourself a favor and forget all of those big name chain hotels and give this place a chance. You will not regret it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tracy K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Nice hotel overall...but if you suffer from ANY type of upper respiratory problems such as Asthma you may not want to stay here. Even on the newer side it had a strong smell that triggered an asthma attack to the point that we did not stay the night and had to check in to another hotel. Remember, it's a very old structure. This being said, I want to say that the staff was great. They were very helpful, friendly and understanding. It's very centrally located with many restaurants and things to see.

3 Thank Lucy M
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I moved to San Juan area (from Condado's Casa Castellana Bed and Breakfast) when my husband left and I had 3 days left in Puerto Rico. I booked my stay in La Terraza Hotel and it seriously blew me away! The pictures doesn't do it justice. So from my Snorkeling trip at Culebra I drove to San Juan and found street parking *lucky lucky* then went to the hotel and got so excited. It looks old but when you go inside the vibe and décor is awesome! The front desk people are so nice (shout out to Princess and Isander). Their front desk is also a "bar". They serve coffee and tea and sweets FOR FREE! Yum! And apparently the antique coffeemaker has a name! (I forgot hehe) It's 2 buildings adjacent together and I was assigned to the newer wing. I think they hay 24 rooms available in different configuration. I was on a budget so I asked for the cheapest room since I was alone... but when I went to my room (interior, no windows) It's HUGE! with modern bathroom. The bed is HUGE and the room smells sooooo nice!!! I fell in love. Oh yeah and the roof top!?!?? OohLala!!!! wading pool and breakfast with a view. Just the place to be! (I feel guilty my husband wasn't there to enjoy it with me) Great location. quiet street. near yummy restaurants (like st germaine and fatty's). I can't stop raving about it.... ok fine... the main entrance was jamming my entire stay so I hope they got that fixed. Definitely a next time for this place. Oh and during my stay... maybe only 6 guests were there too. Peace and quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank UrbanGypsy0220
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We tacked 2 nights in Old San Juan onto the end of our honeymoon (starting in Fajardo) and we loved staying here! We stayed in 3A which was wonderful. The staff is phenomenal - so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Location was great! Rooftop pool was nice when our feet needed a break from walking around! Breakfast on the terrace was a treat. The only downside was when I made the reservations, the gal made it sound like we could find parking on the nearby street very easily since we had rented a car for our whole trip. This was not the case. My husband drove around getting quite lost trying to deal w/ OSJ traffic and multiple one-ways trying to find parking. He finally came back to the hotel and they told us where to park in a structure (luckily there are 2 - one is very expensive and the other is very reasonable) about a 10-minute walk away. Next time, I think we'd ditch the car - although it was nice to drive over to Condado for an afternoon (it's about a $30 round trip cab ride). Overall, we loved La Terraza - would definitely stay here again if ever back in San Juan!

2 Thank swimRx
Austin, TX
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived after 10 pm and Franklin was smiling and ready to greet us at the front door. He made my wife an espresso and also poured drinks for us (alcohol is everywhere in Puerto Rico) to create a truly soft landing in San Juan. Franklin also gave us all of the information we would need for the weekend and made me generally feel like we were in good hands. The building is very distinctive with high ceilings and funky staircases. The furnishings are minimal but very functional and stylish. Shower is huge and artfully tiled, but hot water is not consistent. Excellent complimentary toiletries. Comfortable bed and good continental breakfast served in a striking rooftop setting. Our two favorite places in Old San Juan were within two blocks of this place. Struck up a long conversation with Jose Enrique, a member of Fantasmes, who had recently played in my hometown of Austin. Did I mention the rooftop plunge pool overlooking Old San Juan? Any time I return to San Juan, I'll be staying here.

4 Thank SigmundBloom
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Hey...I'm just going to sound like a recording so why repeat all the excellent reviews. Browse through them, all the good is absollutey true.
I just have to mention Old San Juan is where you want to hang out, not in the hotel. That being said, the cute, small infinity pool area is great for catching a little sun and unwinding after a day in and around the area.
The front desk staff, José and Darío were incredibly helpful. We were celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary and the staff treated us like family, it was sooo nice. I just can't wait to go back for a more extended stay.

Room Tip: The Isabel La Católica room, private balcony, super spacious. 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cornelia, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When I made the reservation, this gem in the heart of Old San Juan was rated #1. I now know why. Very quaint location. I am told the hotel is only 3 years old, although the building was built in the 1800's. The construction and decor is wonderful. The old doors with metal latches and closeable louvers, The exposed beams in the ceilings, it makes you believe you are in a hotel from the 1800's. But upon seeing the kitchen and bathroom, the individually-controlled a/c units in the rooms, the excellent wifi, one would think this was the most upscale Ritz-Carlton around. We stayed in Unit 5, with two bedrooms. There were doors that opened so you could stand out and look down the street. Note to families with small children- these doors did not seem to have any way to be locked! The iron grating on the "porches" needs to be replaced due to corrosion. I leaned against it and it seemed solid, but it looks suspect. The elevator, although new, is very slow and very small. Good for moving luggage up and down, but we used the stairs most of the time as it was quicker and healthier. The kitchen was well-appointed, but we did not use it in the 2 days we were here. The plunge pool on the roof, with the view of the city, is a really neat spot to hang out in the evening. A word about taxis. We took a taxi with a driver that had never heard of, or ever been to La Terraza. We got a 30 minute "tour" of old San Juan (terrible traffic) before finding it. My advice would be to call the hotel and have THEM call you a taxi that is familiar with the hotel and save yourself some time. I will not have to surf Tripadvisor or any other websites next time we go to San Juan as we will only be staying here in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family