“Service, suites, site and spectacular coffee”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

La Terraza Hotel exceeded my expectations with their staff support, kindness, clean rooms and beautiful terrace. My friend and I stayed our entire trip at La Terraza and never once were in need of anything. They took care of us when we had a question or wanted advice or needed a booking. It goes without saying that returning to Puerto Rico will be at this hotel. This hotel is phenomenal and deserves every one of my 5 ratings. Thank you Eslander!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Christinaninanina

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Beautiful, romantic hotel. Excellent service and location. Close walk to the forts which were amazing. Loved the rooftop and the constant breezes. My husband and I preferred this location and street over the busy Fortelaza (shopping) street where we stayed on a different night. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank naplesnative33
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This unique, authentic hotel was perfect our one night in Old San Juan. I cannot say enough about the employees - ALL of them are offer top notch service all the time! There is delicious coffee and pastries available all the time, and a simple, fantastic breakfast in the morning. The old building is gorgeous with it's wooden shutters and colorful tile floors. They graciously upgraded our room when we arrived at no extra charge. The hotel is within easy walking distance (even for our 3 young girls) of El Morro, restaurants (go to El Jibarito right next door!), and shopping. I can't recommend La Terraza enough!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa1495
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Trip Advisor does it again! I went on a family vacation and dragged my sister here for the first two days. She was NOT into it, and wanted to hang out at the beach in "new" San Juan in a big new hotel.
She changed her tune when we entered through iron doors into this charming hotel and we saw the impossibly high ceilings with massive wooden beams, and then our room, with French doors out to our own private balcony overlooking the rooftops of old San Juan. We were both smitten with Old San Juan--the narrow streets with blue cobblestones, great restaurants, and friendliness of the locals!
All the front desk people at Le Terraza were OUTSTANDING (shout out to Princess--our favorite!) Great breakfast on the rooftop deck included with fresh fruit, ham, cheese, strong delicious coffee, and homemade bread and jam. Tip: Get the front desk people to make you a café con leche--delicious.
The only complaint from my sister was that the beds were a little soft--though I usually like a firmer mattress, I felt like I was sinking into a feather bed and didn't mind at bit!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 324--quiet, one level from the top.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank kitcatta
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stay here when exploring Old San Juan. The location is amazing, the staff is excellent, the rooftop bar and pool are the best in all of the colonial quarter (we tried several others). I would recommend not renting a car if staying in Old San Juan, take the set-price taxis (should not be more than 25 bucks for a couple from the airport). We explored Old San Juan for 2 days and loved being able to stop in at our hotel for fresh water, or a quick dip in the pool to cool off in between sights. Bedding was very comfortable, AC worked very well. The excellent staff sets this place apart from many others that I've been to....well done guys!

Room Tip: we chose the most affordable room, since we spent so much time on the terrace or in the old city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pedrothelion77
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is all that the other reviewers say it is: a great property in a fantastic location with nice rooms and a staff that could not be better. If I go again to San Juan I would return to this hotel without hesitation. My husband and I truly enjoyed our simple but large and extremely comfortable room, and the terrace alone was worth the stay. The staff was like having family downstairs to go to with any question or need or just to chat. They will do anything to make you comfortable, have the drill down pat about holding luggage and calling cabs and giving you recommendations, etc. Given that this hotel has raves reviews and now a top rating, I do feel the need to note a few potential "cons" in the spirit of "expectations management" about what this hotel is NOT. Not luxury in the "fluffy towels, refreshed toiletries, room service" sort of way. Not a place you want to have breakfast if that's an important meal for you (nothing wrong with it, just very limited). Not for you if somewhat seedy San Juan in all its glory (abandoned buildings, etc.) is not something you'd actually want to see from your room or the terrace. But if you want "boutique" and "real San Juan" I don't see how you do any better.

Room Tip: We had third floor with bay view, very nice. Rooms are quite different due to nature of the house.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCBiztraveler
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having never been to San Juan we had a difficult time figuring out where to stay. . . We relied a lot on review to pick this hotel, and realized since we are relying on review so much ourselves we need to start contributing. . .

This is an easy review to write. Old San Juan itself is easy to walk, and this hotel is in a great location close to one of the forts, the free bus around Old San Juan, restaurants and sites. It's not particularly close to the cruise terminal -- we thought about walking from the hotel to the port, but ultimately we were very glad we didn't.

The hotel staff was super friendly, greeting us as we walked in with beverages and a host of recommended places to chill and eat. We ate at a few of their recommended places and were happy with every option they presented.

The hotel sits on a typical Old San Juan street -- that means very narrow. We were glad we didn't have a car to figure out where to park, or try to navigate around. . . I'd suggest a cab.

La Terraza is a very old building, the ceilings are impressively high, and it feels like walking into an old mansion or something. . . Our room was at the end of a long hallway far away from the street. Noise wasn't an issue, except for the occasional slamming door in the hallway, and the construction that seems ever present in Old San Juan.

It was a large, grand room with a very comfortable bed. The TV channel selection left a lot to be desired, but we didn't care too much as it basically was only there providing background noise while we were getting ready. The bathroom was very modern, and the whole place was very clean.

I didn't realize when we booked the hotel that it had a pool on the roof. . . the roof itself is awesome, but the pool was a great way to relax at the end of the night. A bar is available by the pool if you are so inclined, but we preferred to just look over the city from the infinity edge of the pool. The small pool was perfect at the end of a long hot day.

The other big surprise was the food. . . Breakfast was served every morning, while it was basically a continental breakfast it was excellent and served on the roof. One night we were there they also has chirozo available for guests, we had other plans so we didn't partake, but were surprised that the hotel felt less like a hotel and more like staying at a family member's house.

Very cool hotel, great staff, awesome location and nice perks make this an easy hotel to give five stars to. . . next time we're in San Juan we'll definitely be looking to return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple