“Charming hotel with charming service!”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Charming hotel with charming service!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I chose to stay in this hotel for the first two nights of our honeymoon because of the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor. It did not disappoint! From the moment we entered, we were treated as valued guests. Our luggage was taken up to our room for us. We were offered coffee, water, and treats every time we passed through the lobby. We were given helpful tips for good restaurants, bars, and places to listen to music in Old San Juan from the receptionist as well. The second night we were there, we enjoyed happy hour up on the rooftop. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Old San Juan. Parking was very tough here, as we had a rental car and had to park about 8 blocks down from the hotel. I would recommend a taxi as transportation if needed.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Reina Sofia room...mid-range price but still a great location. Located on the second...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank spanteach24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This old-style hotel is worth the trip to San Juan. As everyone noted, the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and quick to offer a cup of their famous cafe con leche. It was the best coffee I had on the whole trip.
The room was spacious and beautiful. Modern conveniences but not at the cost of romantic atmosphere. Breakfast was lovely ( think continental) and everywhere you want to go is a short walk away.
The reception desk is a place where other travelors share tips for dining in town. If every back in Old San Juan...I'm staying here!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BlueMoon193
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Staff was over the top accommodating, vibe was incredibly unique, bathroom was sexy, bed was big and comfy, the architecture was beautiful, the infinity pool on the terrace had a great view of Old San Juan, and the location was ideal. Thank You La Terraza for a very special experience!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron H
Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Located in old San Juan, it is close to all the fabulous restaurants, and staffed by excellent, friendly, and knowledgeable receptionists, Jose and Princess. Free hand-made espresso and cappuccino at practically all times, included breakfast, a nice terrace, and large, tastefully decorated rooms. Everything in my suit was working and clean, quite and peaceful, and the internet was fast enough to watch Netflix. Wholeheartedly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank weltwind
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is extremely old. My wife and I stayed in room 2. It's a dungeon. No windows...AC only in the bedroom and you can't flush your toilet paper in any of the rooms...I asked...I wanted to go and get the local down town charm...it won't happen again...it was hot and gross...next time it will be resort for me...trust me take the shuttle to Old San Juan for the day and get back to the resort!

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank James H
LaTerrazaHotel, Manager at La Terraza de San Juan, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Mr. Halford,

I was very concerned to read your review about your recent stay with us at La Terraza in Old San Juan. First of all I would like to take the chance to clarify that Room #2 is a two room suite equipped with an interior patio and a full bathroom. In fact, it is one of our most popular rooms. Although one of the bedrooms does not have windows, the other bedroom (equipped with a King bed) does have a 7'x5' french door that can be opened to a private interior courtyard.

A great part of this property's charm is the fact that it is a 200+ year old, recently remodeled building located in a 500 year old historic colonial city. We take pride and try our very best to provide all the modern comforts and amenities available while maintaining the historic charm that Old San Juan and it's colonial architecture has to offer.

We are very sorry we did not meet your standards and expectations and I welcome you to contact me directly at your soonest convenience with the interest of changing any ill feelings you might have towards our property.

Franklin Rivera
franklin.rivera.ramos@gmail.com
787 722 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

To be honest, we went in with incredible expectations and perhaps that worked against them, but to be fair, our entire stay was just a comedy of errors (on their part) and a lot of packing (on our part).

I can honestly review three rooms: 3B, 324, and 5. We were there for only five nights, but we stayed in each of these rooms. Oh, where to begin ....

The hotel is in a FANTASTIC location, on Calle del Sol, right in the heart of Old San Juan. Super easy walk to virtually all of Old City, and surrounded by great dining and shopping. The rooftop is amazing (the pool is small - think oversized tub) but deep. You can't really swim, but you can cool off. The views of the city are unparalleled. They have a nice bar up there with a very small selection of drinks, but at least during our stay they were only open during the weekend (July, understood and not a problem). So far we're at easily 4 stars.

The staff is amazing. We had wonderful conversations with each and every person who works the front desk, and with the bartender. And the owner. All super lovely people and very friendly and more than accommodating. Let's add a star! 5 stars!

Beautiful room (3B): Your basic hotel room, with bedroom and bath. There was no window, making time-telling all guesswork, and the bed was in need of a new mattress, but the Spanish details and the decor were exquisite. BUT! Now we have an issue. A teeny tiny almost non-issue. A broken soap dispenser in the shower. I mentioned it to the front desk on our way out the door for the day (first full day) and was told that it would be corrected by the time we got back. You could just leave us a bar of soap, but ... great!

Fast forward through the next rather miserable four days ...

Two room changes (broken soap dispenser, broken air conditioner - in July), both in completely separate parts of the building - instead of just taking a walk down the hall or even a ride in the elevator, both room changes required packing, going down to the lobby, traversing the building, going back up a separate elevator to new room. (-3 stars)

Housekeeping lost keys to BOTH NEW ROOMS. After day 2, I made our beds, and either called down for new towels or WASHED THEM MYSELF. (-3)
We got a chilled bottle of champagne in our room for our inconvenience. (+2)

In short ... we were happy in our first room (3B). We were moved. We were unhappy in our second room (324) - no A/C in San Juan in July is unbearable and there was no housekeeping because they could not find our key (though they were able to enter to leave a bottle of champagne). We were moved again.

Room 5 was a 2/2 apartment with three A/C units and a full kitchen. Plus a laundry ... with someone's linens in the dryer. I unpacked in the 2nd bedroom, hanging my dresses and fine silk in the closet. The lovely woman that brought us to our new room turned on all the A/C units full blast to quickly cool us off, as it was near midnight and we were hot and exhausted from all the moving. 20 minutes later, my travel companion screamed from the 2nd bedroom - the A/C unit that was directly over the closet with my clothes was SPEWING WATER ... well, everywhere.

We quickly turned off unit and prayed that we were not moved again. We had actually looked forward to staying in one hotel for five full nights (it's like moving in! no packing!) instead of our usual routine of spending a few nights in several different cities. The room was fine, I loved the architecture and the ability to do wash, even if I did have to do some towels. And we managed to stay put for the last two nights of our stay, minus one working A/C unit. Huge hassles all around.

I want to stress that the staff was great. But the fact that every room we were in was broken in some way cannot be fixed by a smile. Or even a discount.

Imagine our surprise when ... we got a note with a $150 charge for a room upgrade slid under our door on our last day. (-5 stars)

Again, this was remedied once we got packed and down to the front desk. But the explanation was not a bit satisfactory: "Oh, the person that does that kind of billing really does not know the hotel or our policies." It's a 20-something room hotel ... I just had to shake my head.

I'm afraid I'm being kind with the 2 stars but all in all the hotel had little effect on our amazing time in the fabulous city of San Juan, but mostly because we were rarely there and when we were we could hardly remember where our room was.

Hope you have better luck. And I actually do hope this review does not take them out of the #1 spot. It's not revenge - just a telling of the facts. Stay at your own risk - next time in San Juan I'll try another hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank Teri R
Goshen, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After arriving in San Juan for the start of our vacation/cruise, we were told that our reservation at our hotel had been canceled two months prior, which was not the case. However, we were so blessed to have landed up at the La Terraza Hotel. The staff was so gracious to accommodate the six of us and our rooms were fantastic. We arrived hot and tired with the La Terraza our third try to find rooms for the night. We were offered refreshments right away and were thrilled with our rooms. The terrace was great for enjoying the 4th of July fireworks and we could not have been more happy with the La Terraza. You can't go wrong with staying there and we certainly will in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends