“Great pizza!”

Ranked #15 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$3 - US$26
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant:Pirilo is a rustic pizzeria in which we prepare, with dedication, delicious classic Italian and international dishes; always using the freshest local products. The space is designed and decorated by combining the typical Italian trattoria with the emblematic colonial architecture of Old San Juan, creating a picturesque and warm environment. The Pirilo bar has a wide selection of drinks, exclusive to the restaurant and a variety of more than 50 handcrafted beers.Hours: Pirilo is open every day and offers lunch and dinner during the following times: Sunday 12:00 pm- 12 amMonday 12:00 pm- 12 amTuesday 12:00 pm- 12 amWednesday 12:00 pm- 12 amThursday 12:00pm- 2:00amFriday 12:00pm- 2:00amSaturday 12:00pm- 2:00amReservations:Pirilo welcomes guests on a walk-in, first-come-first-served basis.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We tried to go here for dinner the previous evening but there was a long line out the door, so we came back for lunch. We were able to get right in without waiting this time. We were just about to sit in the crowded downstairs area when someone mentioned the upstairs area, so we walked up to check it out. Don't drink too much or you may have trouble navigating the stairs on the way down! The upstairs dining room was much airier with high ceilings and windows - much more pleasant. We ordered a large pizza - 1/2 cheese and 1/2 papi (asparagus, tomatoes and basil). The pizza was excellent, as was the crust. We were wondering how we would be charged for the pizza since cheese was the least expensive and papi was the most expensive. Well, they charged us for the whole more expensive pizza plus $1. This was great pizza and I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I don't want to steer you wrong but there was a seriously bad odor when we ate here. I'm not sure if the trash needed to be taken out or if the sewers were backed up but 2 of our kids wouldn't eat because of it. So you are asking yourself, then why eat there? Honestly we had been trekking up and down Old San Juan and we were starving. The place had good reviews and everyone in our group liked pizza so why not? Once we got over the smell, the food was really very good. I had the empanadilla sampler and it was to die for! The place filled up very quickly once we sat down and my hand enjoyed the 'secret door' ( see if you can spot it). The small pizzas are big enough for two so don't be fooled into ordering a large. I'm betting the odor isn't there all the time so we would recommend it.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Have visited this restaurant on several occassions and it is consistently excellent! Great service and atmosphere with extensive international beer list.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were very hungry after a fun day of sightseeing. Looking for something casual and simple for dinner and this was a very nice choice. It is an interesting combination of pizzeria and local cuisine which was a lovely surprise.

Atmosphere is very casual and a bit worn. Sitting options consists of a bar area, built-in benches along the wall with tables and stand alone tables. Pretty tight space all over. There is also an upstairs area. We arrived early for dinner so we had no issues with the dining space but by the time we left there was a line out the door.

Our server was very nice and helpful with our selections. We chose a sampler of the local favorites and a deep dish pizza. It was all very tasty. I think in hindsight we would have gone with the thin crust pizza.

I struggled with the rating for this eatery as I thought overall it was nice but not "oh my you must go by" which kept me from rating it with 4 stars. I would suggest if you will have a full day in the city, perhaps stop by here for lunch and select another option for dinner.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We were incredibly impressed with Pirilo Pizza Rustica. The appetizer sampler was excellent. Both pizzas we tried (Carbonara and La Pampa? -forgot exact name) were outstanding. Who would have thought we could find quality NY style pizza in San Juan? Make sure you dine upstairs. The bottom floor is dark and small but the upstairs dining room was lively and tastefully decorated. Excellent waiter who gave great recomendations. This place really made our day. Highly recommended!

1  Thank thouks1