“Very Friendly Hostile”
Review of The Palace Hostel

The Palace Hostel
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was traveling to San Juan to meet an old college friend. I'm from a small town in Nebraska and have never used a hostile before, so I didn't know what to expect.

When I finally arrived to the hostile I was meet by one of the managers who quickly checked me in and showed me to my room. I went into using a hostile with an open mind and was taken back by how everyone was so open and loved to talk to one another. I was just another guy and now a member of the group. I made several friends that week including a small well behaved puppy that made me feel more like I was back home.

My room was very clean, though I wish they would hurry up and finish repainting some areas in the building. The two managers, Chris and Shannon, were very friendly and I hope they still work here when I come back to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I had a great time at this hostel, the guests and staff are friendly and polite. They have a lot of little extra things to make the stay enjoyable. They have the sweetest cutest puppy and the breakfast is good. They will really help you out. I would stay here again because it is a good deal.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank livelife4peace
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

This is a clean tidy hostel on a quiet bit well located street close to transport. We had a good sized rooms, kitchen, lounge, balconies, laundry, Internet and breakfast. Banks and shops ate a 5 min walk. We were very well looked after and welcomed and would recommend this hostel to anyone visiting San juan. :-)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I was shocked to see a rolled up towel shoved through the floor on the ceiling of the female dormitory. What is the floor made of that there can be a hole all the way through it? I checked upstairs to see if I could find the top sticking up through the floor. If I found the right spot, it is plastered over in the upstairs bathroom.

I really don't need to go into further detail about repairs and repainting that need to be done. The toilets, showers, and sinks worked, although the upstairs shower is cold water only. The downstairs toilet rocks if you shift your weight.

Plan to keep your valuables with you. The 1 foot cubbies are homemade. There are security cameras.

Dishes are washed by hand in cold water. You can always microwave water in the jam jar you will be drinking from.

Ask for blankets if the others in your room want the air conditioning running full strength. Always bring an eye mask and ear plugs if you want a chance at sleep. You will feel it when the other person in the bunk shifts weight.

The hostel is hard to find. A bellhop at a hotel was able to use his smart phone to find it and give instructions to my taxi driver after I gave up trying to find it in my rental car. Google Maps will give you names of expressways and avenues when they are marked by route number signs. Get a giant fold out map and decode them the old fashioned way. I made my way back to the hotel to retrieve my car on the city bus. I took the T5. The sign on the hostel is high up and you probably won't notice it. The old architect sign is still hanging at eye level. Buses stop operating at 10pm and they don't have a schedule. You should plan to arrive before 6pm when the sun is still shining. It makes it easier to see signs. The hostel is in between a decent part and a run down part of town.

The redeeming qualities of this inn is that the staff likes their jobs and the hostel environment is conducive to meeting other travelers and sharing stories. If you are traveling solo, it's cheaper than a $50 budget motel room, but if you are traveling as a pair, stay in the budget motel. You'll have your own bathroom and I bet the paint won't be peeling. Your pillow will probably be normal size instead of barely there.

Also, if you don't care to socialize, and you go to bed early, you may find the socializing too noisy. You can try to drown it out with the air conditioner.

Room Tip: It's a hostel. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Hey guys!

if you're a traveller and you like hostels. This place is what you need. It's nice, affordable, and you meet a lot of nice people too. Staff is very helpfull for all the things you can need in Puerto rico.
They have good poop story and great games ;-)

Sure one day i'll be back.

Thanks Chris and Shannon!

The Frenchy's

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My boyfriend and I absolutely LOVED our stay here. We were traveling through Puerto Rico and decided to stop for a few days and stay at The Palace due to all the good things people were saying on TripAdvisor. The staff was UBER helpful and really gave us great insight on where to go/ what to do/ what to see/ and where to eat. Cleanliness was average/ above average. The Palace is in a great location within walking distance to the beach!! (we spent many hours there and caught some sweet rays) All in all, we'll be back again when we come to SanJuan again!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This was by far the best place to stay. Everyone there was very nice, especially Shannon and Chris! They make you feel right at home! It was a super fun place to stay and really clean. With stuff really close, you can do pretty much everything. It's nice to be walking distance from a beach! A really great place!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo