“memories” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Palace Hostel
Tempe, Arizona
“memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I have never stayed at a hostel. To be honest, I was scared. Right when I arrived, everyone staying there just bonded. We were all friends right away, and went out together. The hostel is in an amazing place and walking distance to walmart, beaches, bars, resurants, and clubs. We loved the hostel and the people so much that even some nights and days we just stayed in to spend time with eachother. It was the best memory I could ask for, met amazing people, and was treated so well. I have nothing but good things to say.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We had a late night arrival. I made reservations 2 months in advance with a clear conversation about the late checkin time. We arrived at 1am to find no one working at the hostel. The door was however open indicating bad security. The hostel is in the middle of no where, where two blocks to one side looking very shady. We woke a man sleeping a futon in the middle of the common room, he was a guest and that was his "dorm" bed. Our reservations were no where to be found. We sat on the futon until we could take a taxi to the ferry for the islands. The bathrooms were very large but not clean. The bathrooms upstairs are better however. At 4:30 someone who worked there decided to show up and tell us we did have a room despite the reservation book not having any mention of my name. We just left. If you have a late flight, this place is highly not recommended! The hotel didn't look clean as well, the common room looked like the focal point of a frat party. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 07Boston
jeff f, Manager at The Palace Hostel, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
This Person did in fact NOT have a reservation with us. They arrived and told us they had a reservation but could not produce any confirmation number of any kind. We proceeded with looking at our online database and there was absolutely no record of any correspondence with this person or any kind of reservation. We tried to accommodate them the only way we could which was let them stay in the lobby area ( we were completely booked ). We think they had a reservation with another hostel and looked up our hostel thus making a mistake.

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Shannon and Chris were amazing! They took care of us as if we were old friends. Place had a lot of character, and comfortable beds. Only down side was the mosquitos. But there was also free bug spray. Enjoyed our stay at the palace!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
portland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I spent three nights here. Couldn't find the place. It's in a dead part of town. Checking in was weird. Hard to figure out who actually worked there. Basic room, filled with Mosquitos. We were right next to the restroom which seemed nice, until either stupid or drunk people kept walking into our room asking "is this the bathroom?"

Did I mention the doors barely lock? With enough twist and shove any door will give way.

Thinking it couldn't get any worse and we should just chill back at the hostel and watch tv we headed back. The common area has a tv couch and movies that you can watch until ten, I assumed to be polite about sound, but no one else cared. At 8:45 we headed up to watch some tv and discovered the couch was now someone's bed, we asked what was going on and we were told some one needed to stay here, but was what we wanted to watch available on Netflix? Or the Internet? Completely unprofessional. Everyone was always drinking and seemed like no one was running the hostel.

Our next couple days were always the same. We would walk in and it was silent, like no one wanted us around because we had complained about the tv not being available when its one of the things they offer.

Ready to go on our last night we gave the key back to get our 5 dollar key deposit back, but then we were told since we had such an early flight we would have to call someone to come open the door. It was such an ordeal. No one had communicated as a business that we needed to leave. They are huge on the door being locked, I was yelled at several times to lock the door even when I was mid locking it, which was strange since every time we left our came back the door was unlocked. It appeared I was the only one locking it

Wish I could rate this place a zero.

Room Tip: Don't get one by the smoking patio, people will be out there all night
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TickledRosy
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

This place was great! It's close to the beach and it's easy to plan tours with your new friends. Most nights we cooked food and drank rum together then went out on the town. They even have a puppy that is a total sweetheart.

I've stayed at other hostels on the island and nothing compares to this one. The others don't have the same family style attitude.I loved the free breakfast and memory foam mattresses. The managers, Shannon and Chris, and the other staff keep the place really clean and know everything to see and do in PR. I booked a different hostel and it wasn't what I was looking for. Then I showed up to the Palace and they took me in without a reservation.

I'll definitlely be back. Puerto Rico is like Hawaii but cheaper and in spanish.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was traveling to San Juan to meet an old college friend. I'm from a small town in Nebraska and have never used a hostile before, so I didn't know what to expect.

When I finally arrived to the hostile I was meet by one of the managers who quickly checked me in and showed me to my room. I went into using a hostile with an open mind and was taken back by how everyone was so open and loved to talk to one another. I was just another guy and now a member of the group. I made several friends that week including a small well behaved puppy that made me feel more like I was back home.

My room was very clean, though I wish they would hurry up and finish repainting some areas in the building. The two managers, Chris and Shannon, were very friendly and I hope they still work here when I come back to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed February 2013
Cheonan, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I had a great time at this hostel, the guests and staff are friendly and polite. They have a lot of little extra things to make the stay enjoyable. They have the sweetest cutest puppy and the breakfast is good. They will really help you out. I would stay here again because it is a good deal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo