“Not bad at all...”

Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Chicago, Illinois
“Not bad at all...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at this property from 04/16-04/19. I chose this property because I will be back in June with a group for a wedding, and we had already booked rooms at a great price. I wanted to make sure that my guests would be satisfied with the site, even though the wedding is at another location.

As soon as we walked in, we were greeted, and waited on. I hate that I can't remember the desk attendant's name - maybe Carlos - because he took great care of us. Immediately, he told us that our room wasn't ready, and instead of having us wait, he upgraded our room to an ocean view suite. Great. We had pre-paid our hotel, but he explained that the site I booked on had not charged us a resort fee. I started to argue him down, but I checked my reservation, and he was correct. No problem there.

Oh, he did inform us that there was a problem with the water the day before, and the issue has been resolved, and by the evening, there should be no issue. With that, we got on the elevator and went to out room.

Well, as we go off the elevator, we passed two work men, who came from the direction of our room. One man, stopped, and said something, and came up behind us, and asked which room we were going in. We entered, and he came in behind us...much to our surprise, the room was NOT ready for any guests. The fridge was not assembled, and not even in the kitchen; the kitchen door was off the hinges, and there was dust and trash everywhere. He explained that he had just finished putting in the kitchen floor. Okay, now the problems begin.

So, my sister and I head back down to the lobby, and I let them know what happened. Carlos (gosh, I hope that is his name), was legitimately surprised, and immediately found another room for us. He appologized the entire time, stating that he was sorry, and it showed ready in the system. Again, this could have been a bigger issue, if he wasn't trying to make sure that we were comfortable. So, we are given another room, 1410, and we go up, and we can't get in. I hate key problems. So, I go back down, and Omel is at the desk, and he grabs a key, and comes up to assist us. He opens the door, and explains why it probably wasn't working. Again, it could have gotten ugly, because I was with the Bride I am planning a wedding for. But he was so sincere in making sure we were comfortable, in addition to having a great conversation with him, no tension, no issue.

So, the Bride is less than thrilled about the room, mainly because there was a mildewy smell, but it was clean. She was also not happy about there being some moisture leakage from the air in the dressing room part of the bathroom. So, we unpacked, and went out for a bite to eat.

Well, when we returned, guess what? We couldn't get into our room, AGAIN! The Bride went down this time, and was not thrilled to. She came back up with the desk attendant (again, I can't remember his name, but he was short, and had blonde hair, and pointy toed shoes). He tried to open the door, and couldn't with the key card he had, but went back down. After about 10 minutes, he came back up, and got us in. He also stated that they were changing our room...AGAIN! I'm okay with that, as long as there are no more key issues, no leaking ceilings, and the fridge is IN THE KITCHEN, fully assembled. Again, it could have gotten ugly, because we had unpacked, but AGAIN, the service was great. They even helped us move some things to the new room - across the hall. AGAIN, my client-Bride ws NOT happy. AT this point, she was ready to cancel ALL of the reservations at the hotel, and find somewhere else.

But then we moved into 1409. There was no mildew smell, and it was clean and the view was great. I assured her that I would go down and speak to the manager on duty - who happened to Omel. So, I went down, and I told him who I had with me, and who I was bringing back with me in June, and told him that I needed this to be fixed, or we would cance all of the reservations. He took a look at our current stay, and asked that if he removed the resort fee, would we be okay with that? Considering we got an automatic upgrade, even with three room changes, the service had been great, sure - I would take it. You could see the look of relief on his face. We went back up, and had a great evening.

The suite has a sofa bed and a king bed in it, as well as a kitchen with a sink, a full size fridge, a coffee maker, and a microwave. The kitchen is closed off, and you could miss it, or mistake it for a closet, with the doors closed. There is PLENTY of closet space, as well as a dining area, and two very nice sized tv's. It was easy to work in a separate space away from my bride.

So, the next morning, we go down to breakfast. It was a standard hotel hot breakfast - eggs, meat, potatoes, pastries, yogurt, cereal, milk, fruit, juices, coffee, and waffles that you make yourself. it was good, but my only complaint - it just was not HOT. Everything was room temp or cold. Nonetheless, it was included, and it worked.

The hotel has a small pool, which is fine with me - I don't swim. It works...if not, the beach is a block away. They also have a small gym, which I did use - two treadmills, an elliptical, and a stationary bike. No problem there. Oh, speaking of beach, one really cool thing - you can get beach chairs from the front desk to use. No charge, nice perk.

I could go on, and I tend to, but when we booked for the wedding guests, I think in February, there were no reviews. I was at ease when I read the first review on this property, and the second, and the third. Then when I had to visit, I knew we had to stay for the entire experience. The hotel IS older, but they are still working on it. As a matter of fact, there is an area that was being used storage near the elevators, that was closed off, with doors that were put up. There were areas in the cafe/dining room that were painted. There were small improvements that were being made while we were there - which leads me to believe that once they have completed all of the renovations, the hotel will be in a great position.

A couple of final items - the hotel is in the Condado area, which has lots of restaurants and bars around. It is on busy Ashford Avenue, so a certain level of noise is around - no big deal. We stayed at the Marriott the first time we visited, and to be in the same general area, at 1/5 the price is a steal...See you in June!

Room Tip: Invest in the ocean view or partial ocean view...and BOOK NOW, if you are planning to visit. The ho...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank soulcheft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Czech first
Oviedo, Florida, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

A newly renovated hotel with a beautiful lobby and common areas but the rooms didn't get the same treatment. Checked in at around 12 midnight the bed was hard and old and the A/C didn't cold the room below 75 deg. F. The bathroom sink was new but the bathtub and shower were like the ones in my grandma's house. I didn't have the stamina to complaint at those hours and only did it at checkout at 8am but the person behind the counter didn't bother to say anything, not even sorry. On the positive side the breakfast was very good and the new lcd TV in the room worked all right, but I don't believe I will return for those.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Louis R
Buda, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed for 5 days 4/22 to 4/27. Most of the hotel has been remodeled and the lobby looks nice. Rooms have some older bathroom fixtures, but were OK. The bed was very, very firm. The carpet is a bit tattered. They need more trash cans in the room. Be aware that this hotel is located in "party central" with alot of noise and car horn honking coming from the streets until early in the morning. It can be difficult to go to sleep. There is a free breakfast which is very so, so. The second day of our stay, the air conditioner went out. We moved to another room and received a small compensation. We were without water on Saturday morning for a while due to repair of a leaky pipe. Taking the stairs to the lobby, we were unable to open the door from the fire escape. The staff is the best feature of this hotel. They work hard trying to make things right, but there is still a way to go for this hotel.

1 Thank Buda_TXTex
Terrebonne, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel on April 14th & 15th. We were impressed with the corner suite (1510) we had, with an ocean view and a cruise port view looking west. Other buildings are closer to the beach, but on that floor the view was perfect and we could also see part of the beach and a lot of the ocean. It is only a block away. When you are on the balcony you can hear traffic, but it was just amusing to watch and it was very lively especially on the Sunday night. When the doors were closed, the noise never bothered us and we slept very well. The suite was large and comfortable with nice furniture and two flat screen TVs. The balcony is really large and the only things missing are a couple of patio chairs and a small table. But I am sure that management will see to it when they are finished with their new set up. We used the kitchen table chairs and it was OK, making sure we brought them back in, in case of rain. They are still in the process of completing their renovation and I am convinced that they will install some balcony furniture soon. The pool area is nice with a small pool for small children and a larger one for the others. All the pool area furniture is sparkling new. The lobby is nice and welcoming with chairs, sofas, and 3 internet stations. There is also an exercise room. The complimentary breakfast is very good with hot food. The room is well organized and you have many tables and chairs in a vast area. Nearby you have restaurants, gift shops and fast food outlets, plus a casino at the Marriott across the street, all within a five minute walk. You will feel very safe to walk around at night. There is no parking facility at the Hotel itself, but they have an arrangemnet with a nearby parking, just around the corner, on Ashford St. The cost is $15.00, flat rate for a 24 hour period. They are open 24/7. You will have to leave your keys, but this is OK and very safe. It's cheaper than the other parking around with charges of $18.00. This sounds a little expensive, but you have to remember that parking spaces are scarce in San Juan and the Condado Area. At least your rental car will be safe and watched. The hotel will supply you with a card that you will show the attendant and then leave on the dashboard. Some people complained that taxes are high, but it is like this at many other Hotels in the area, as far as I know. In conclusion, like some other guests, we did not have water on the higher floors for almost a 24 hour period, due to problems in the Condado Area. The Hotel is working on this issue by installing a more powerful back up system. After informing reception staff of the problem, we were given access to another room in order to take a shower. On both days we were there, the staff was more than friendly, sincere and helpful. Yes, indeed, there was that water outage inconvenience and we did not like the situation, but considering all the comfort and attention we received at this Hotel, I would not hesitate to go back.

2 Thank southguy
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just opened and new near the beach -one block- and very centric (a bit noisy due to the central location) near the Condado Beach 'scene' where celebrities stay > good rates vs.nearby name hotels. Many choices for restaurants/shop and other stuff. Gr8 value, enjoy!

Room Tip: $10/day for safe-secure parking
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

We went for a mini vacations (celebrating my husband graduation and our 17th wedding anniversary).
When I made the reservation back end of February, I was scare that by the time come the hotel was not ready, I called every two weeks to verify if they were open already and by March 27 they were open.. uff what a relieve.
I read all the previous reviews and I said to myself.. Good decision. I just came from three EXPECTACULAR nights at the hotel. I emailed Saicha Robles (excellent customer service from this girl) requesting a bottle of champagne and they provide me with a bottle of very nice wine and beautiful room with a unique view in the 15th floor room 1509, I can complaint.
Breakfast it is not a continental breakfast it is a full hot breakfast with scramble, bacon, waffle.. Delicious
I have to give special thanks to OMEL SANTA (front office manager) and SAICHA ROBLES.
Keep the good work.

NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel for two nights in San Juan and we did not want to pay a fortune. Our main activity in San Juan was to tour Old San Juan so we did not need beach access since that was not in our plans. The hotel is a block from the beach but we never ventured over. The hotel is located in an urban touristy area. The Walgreens across the street will allow you to buy anything and everything you forgot to bring with you. It is urban with some homeless people on the sidewalk and numerous police patrolling the area. The traffic and street noise continues long after midnight which made sleeping difficult. Bring earplugs or ask for a room that does not face the street. Our room with a single queen bed was small but there was lots of storage room for our luggage in the area containing the microwave and refrigerator. The room was in good condition since it was recently renovated. Breakfast could use improvement. The kitchen staff seemed unable to keep up with demand and things like juice, silverware, muffins, yogurt, syrup etc were constantly running out. Some fruit such as bananas or melon would have been nice. Overall, it was fine for a night or two but I would not choose this hotel or the Condado neighborhood for a week long stay.

• Stayed April 2013
MiguelRivasCondado, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Condado Palm Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear baedteeth,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences; it is really useful for us as it helps to identify areas of improvement. Regarding your comments about the breakfast, rest assured that your comments will be addressed, since all our efforts are committed to provide our clients with the best service you deserve.

We will more that glad to assist you hen your travel plans bring you back to Puerto Rico.

Miguel Rivas