“Marvelous Farm to Table in Old San Juan”
Review of Verde Mesa

Verde Mesa
Ranked #15 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Organic farm veggies and market fish arrive daily. Our main attraction is the chef's crew production which changes daily according to availability. Organic wine list and Botanical Bar. No reservations. Limited seating.
Miami Beach, Florida
“Marvelous Farm to Table in Old San Juan”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

So far as we know, this is the only true Farm to Table restaurant in Puerto Rico. Perched high on the top of the hill next to the Fort, the restaurant is a gem with comfortable seats and a warm and inviting staff. We arrived at the tail end of what seemed to be either a wedding rehearsal dinner or an engagement party which had taken over the entire restaurant. The owner, Loyda, was kind enough to seat us at two small bar tables pushed together while we waited for the party to be over (and were then subsequently given a lovely table in the front window), and the staff rushed over in the midst of their party to make sure we had drinks (they were wonderful) and appetizers while we waited for the party to be over.

The food is amazingly creative, fresh, and delicious. The hand crafted cocktails with fresh fruit essences are delicious (and quietly potent). The staff welcomes you warmly and the overall feeling is that you are an honored guest in their home - and so much so that it felt as though everyone was an owner and filled with a sense of pride and joy and sharing.

Quite bluntly - this is an experience not to be missed. I won't list what we ate - we tried all kinds of things from the menu. There is no meat - because all is sourced as local organic and there isn't much local organic meat to be had. But fresh fish and seafood abound as well as amazing vegan and vegetarian options. But rather than list the food (the menu changes daily), i would like to thank the staff by name - that's how much they impressed me and how warmly they welcomed us.

So - with thanks - to Carlos and Frances and Maria and Rebeca and Eileen and again, with gratitude, to Loyda, the owner of the Verde Mesa.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank wprensky

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I just had the most gorgeous dinner of my life.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I decided to do something different on a Wednesday night and went to Verde Mesa after receiving to good references, one from a good friend and another from a person I didn't know and who could not give me a biased opinion. I was told about the green hummus, which I tried, it has little crumbled pieces of honeneyed kalamata olives sprinkled on top, the lovely
strawberry cooler with a tinge of mint for a refreshing drink. Then the Couscous Nicoise, which is your Nicoise salad with couscous, the beautiful seared tuna cooked just right. I went alone so I unselfconsciously enjoyed all of it to the last bite and loved every minute of it. Then I had their chocolate cake served with English cream, homemade whipped cream and strawberry sauce. Very rich in flavors. The place is very cute and the staff very attentive. Lots of charm all around. All courses are in the right portions and they incorporate organic local produce into their menu. Highly recommended to go alone or in company, if vegetarianism is your dietary preference, want delicate flavors and fresh foods or if you simply want to have a gorgeous dinner. I'm totally satisfied with the experience and would go again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank iggyziggyfiggy
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“pretty good”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

it was a pretty good meal, but I expected more. atmosphere was cute, found the place to be a a little 'snotty'-- look how special we are -- we're vegan. I found the food was okay, really could have used salt & pepper, kind of bland. For the price I expected more.. Also from other comments I expected more.

• Visited June 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lovely”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Simply lovely. Soundtrack from Amelie and eclectic furnishings set the perfect mood for elegant vegetarian and seafood fare. Reasonably priced. Set a bit back and out if the way Old San Juan. Really memorable.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, Florida
“The Best Restaurant on our 14 day vacation”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our front desk agent at the local hotel recommended we try Verde Mesa and it lived up to it's reputation. My boyfriend and I are not vegetarians so we went in for the fresh fish option. He had fabulous scallops and I had the fish of the day (the name is slipping my mind) our entrees were cooked to perfection, appetizers delicious and I absolutely LOVED the ambience and decor. So charming in the way items in the room were pieced together. I wish we had something like this at home in Vail, Co!

Visited May 2014