“Excellent choice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gran Canaria, Spain
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Me and my other half stayed here for a couple of days during our trip island hopping - what a fab, cheap and cheerful little place! The rooms were absolutely spotless, with some nice island charm and tiles etc. We were greated by a lady called Elenna who made us feel very welcome and gave lots of tips about things to do in san Juan. The hotel is in a really handy location for getting to restaurants and so on but if you want to keep costs down (like we did!) there is a micrwoave so you can cook your own. Theyre not big on ready meals in porto rico but the microwave was a god send!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessTickle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Dreams is a budget hotel and not where all the nice hotels by the beach are, but it provides you a clean, comfortable, and lively place to stay in San Juan. It is by a Walgreen's and row of bars popular with the students at the nearby University of Puerto Rico so it can get a little loud at night but I was not particularly bothered by it. Otherwise, there isn't a whole lot going on in this neighborhood and while probably safe at night, I would refrain from wandering the area at night by myself. As mentioned by other reviewers, the bed can get a bit uncomfortable due to a plastic liner under the fitted sheets. The shower was not always steaming hot and the towels are a bit threadbare but the ladies at the front desk were always nice, arranged for cabs, and explained where things are in San Juan.
I really enjoyed its proximity to the Universidad train station (if I remember correctly, take it to Sagrado Corazon and then the bus to Old San Juan - about 30 minutes total). Runners can also enjoy a good run around the UPR campus - there is also a track if you cross the overpass after the parking lots. Dinner options are a bit sparse in the area and the breakfast is not anything to write about - mainly crackers/cookies/bread (with toaster) - VERY basic.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AyakaFaithS
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel allows you to spend your money on the sites and eateries while providing a clean place to lay your head. Ours was an extended stay of 6 days which cut our cost tremendously by choosing to stay here. Don't go expecting the luxuries you may be used to in higher priced lodging and you won't have a problem. It's well maintained, clean, conveniently located, has friendly staff and good air conditioning. The rooms are constructed to provided comfort from the heat with ceiling fans, tile floors, and low lighting. If I were to go and stay there again, I would bring my own towels. Theirs were usable but rather rough. I learned a trick of putting the bedspread under the sheets which provided cushioning and made the mattress more tolerable. I also traveled with my own sheets. They were under construction adding more rooms so it was a bit noisy if we stayed around during the day. The breakfast is a nice gesture but truly bare bones. The redeeming feature of being within walking distance of nice reasonably priced eateries compensated for this. Also a microwave and fridge are provided, so you can buy groceries and fix your own simple meals.

Room Tip: The breakfast is set on the first floor patio so it can get a little noisy early in the morning if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joan C
Culebra, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is a budget hotel and well worth the money. It is comfortable for the price, which for those who know lodgings and guest spots in San Juan, is VERY affordable. I found the proprietor extremely kind and accommodating. When invited to stay with a friend on my return trip, I was able to cancel my reservation a little less than 72 hours in advance, which is Dreams' Hotel's policy. In other words, if you are respectful, friendly and flexible, Dreams' will be, too!

I have stayed at other budget hotels, guest houses, and hostels in the San Juan area and this is the nicest because it has a private bathroom, functioning hot water and Internet (in your room), and friendly people who want you to have a good stay.

I noticed another review on Trip Advisor stating the continental breakfast was not good. I was a bit dissatisfied with the fact there was no milk for the coffee because I do not like powdered creamer, but I snagged a decent piece of fruit and at least enjoyed hot coffee. Frankly, for the price, ANY kind of breakfast was a plus. My suggestion to the management is to forget the continental breakfast and just offer coffee to avoid complaints.

Also, I did find driving to the hotel a bit confusing with all the one way streets, so don't depend on Mapquest: call the front desk. I found the proprietor happy to walk me through the directions while I was on my cell phone.

This was my 43rd trip to Puerto Rico, so I think that one of the reasons some of the reviewers on this site were as critical as they are, is that they expect American standards in a country/commonwealth that is somewhat different. Try to relax and enjoy the friendliness of the Puerto Rican folks at Dreams'. They definitely want you to have a nice stay. If you are too fussy, you will simply not enjoy yourself anywhere!

Suave!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and liked my room there.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank ProWriter
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm baffled by the positive responses. The employees were friendly and the price is low, but I won't be going back. Numerous people have mentioned the plastic liner on the mattress and while I understand the rationale, it is very noisy whenever you move. Next, the air conditioner was one of the noisiest I've ever encountered, and it ran all night just to keep the room at 80. Finally, the noise from the club next door didn't stop until 4 AM and jackhammers at the construction site across the street started at 6 AM. The room was as advertised, but light was limited and everything in the room seemed to be a good decade past its prime. I would strongly recommend going elsewhere.

However, we shared a cab the following morning with another couple who had no complaints, so perhaps there are better rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Michael H
Guadeloupe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We went to this Hotel which my close friend recommended me. At our arrival we were greeted by the owner she was very friendly checking in was fast, she then took us to the room which was on the ground floor but that didn't bother us because we traveled with our 2 small kids. When we entered the room it was cozy and nice but once we settled down i noticed that their was a little whole in the door which was a lil creepy. The hotel is close to food places and supermarkets that was a big plus. We had a nice weekend in Puerto Rico as a family. I would go back to this hotel but i would not want that room again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank VanessaCF
Toa Alta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is a nice, cheap hotel for practical-minded people. It has all the amenities they advertise: running hot water, cable tv, AC, refrigerator. However, keep one thing in mind. There's a sign that says "Continental Breakfast from 7 to 9." There is no such thing: Whatever that is is not continental.

When we asked a lady by the front desk to show us where the Continental Breakfast was served, she took us out to a side gate that was LOCKED. She then told us to wait, went around the building, took out a couple of things, and opened the gate for us. When we went in, we saw the Continental Breakfast: an old, opened box of Wheat Thins, two dried apples and a few crackers. I asked if that was it, and she felt embarrassed. She then offered to make us coffee and told us we could have some bagels (even though we later learned they were NOT included in the Continental Breakfast). She was a very nice lady, and she told us she was not even on her shift.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple