“Good for the price”

GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The hotel is in a neighborhood full of locals. It looks kind of rundown, but we didn't feel unsafe. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Make sure you go to Panchy's, which is one block behind the hotel. They have a great breakfast for $3.50.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank latigrita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
UK
Reviewed 24 July 2013

GOOD POINTS
-location for the University
-cheap
-people could not have been more welcoming.
-clean

BAD POINTS
-the noise .... we can not manage stairs and they have no elevator so ground floor rooms... had no idea they placed seats outside our door to offer breakfast, and then we had teenager having a gathering there on the evening.
-free breakfast. I guess it must be Puerto Rico style as coffee and gram crackers are not North American or European. they did make an effort I guess some bread out a toaster, crackers coffee. but not what we were expecting having normally come across cheese, or waffle machine

IDEAS IF YOU ARE VISITING

-we had the idea because of the 'kitchen' that it would come with plates / bowls ect. nothing just bare cupboards... we were on vacation, brought nothing with us and ended up having to go to a supermarket and buy stuff to eat our supper with. great having microwave and fridge but a plate would have been a happy addition.

-not many places around to eat. especially on Sunday. surprised the University had very little as well. If I went again would be tempted to stay near the resort hotels as they have amenities, burger places and restaurants and a bus that goes to the subway / University.

-I was at the university in June, the week before I came to dreams I stayed near the Sheraton Conference centre, so was surrounded by nice area, tourist and old town. when I arrived at the street the Dreams is situated on I nearly died. I looked rough. the taxi driver offered to wait or take me to another hotel !!!! but LOOKS CAN BE DECEPTIVE !!! I stayed a week, had no problems coming home at night, the little Mexican café at the top of the street was OK, but ate there almost every night.

TRANSPORT
ok there is a subway stop near by - and bus stop. the subway is great - but only goes around the suburbs - the bus from Old San Juan to subway was SO SO unreliable and awful on a Sunday.

Room Tip: beware disabled travelers. the disabled rooms are spacious BUT they in a courtyard with seats and wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Dreams Hotel. I traveled solo and I felt very safe at the hotel and throughout San Juan. The rooms were very clean and it felt like more like an apartment than a hotel room. Though there is not a lot going on in the immediate area, there is a train and bus nearby that take you to the Plaza Las Americas Mall, the Bacardi Factory and Old San Juan. The cost of public transportation is $0.50-$0.75 per ride. Breakfast is served daily and it mostly consists of coffee, apples, pears, juice and bread for toast with butter and jelly. If you want a bigger breakfast, ask the hotel staff where Panchys is at. Pachys serves breakfast sandwiches and its no more than two blocks away. When I checked out, there was a small billing issue. The woman at the front desk told me I owed money, but could not tell me why/what it was for. After showing her the email confirmations that I paid in full before my arrival, the issue was quickly resolved. I would recommed this hotel based on it being very clean, comfortable and affordable (which allows you to spend your money on food, tours, souvenirs, etc).

Room Tip: Definitely eat at the sushi restaurant across from the hotel at least once :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank danifromnyc
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel, the place is very clean, the owner is very friendly, you have parking in the front or across the street at the church. On Thursday night it's get noise because the students at the university party night, so ask for the rooms in the back because you can't hear the noise. The area looks a little run down. They some breakfast in the morning some coffee and fruit. I would stay here again. It's not a beautiful hotel on the front.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Hapyfac
Gran Canaria, Spain
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Me and my other half stayed here for a couple of days during our trip island hopping - what a fab, cheap and cheerful little place! The rooms were absolutely spotless, with some nice island charm and tiles etc. We were greated by a lady called Elenna who made us feel very welcome and gave lots of tips about things to do in san Juan. The hotel is in a really handy location for getting to restaurants and so on but if you want to keep costs down (like we did!) there is a micrwoave so you can cook your own. Theyre not big on ready meals in porto rico but the microwave was a god send!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessTickle
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Dreams is a budget hotel and not where all the nice hotels by the beach are, but it provides you a clean, comfortable, and lively place to stay in San Juan. It is by a Walgreen's and row of bars popular with the students at the nearby University of Puerto Rico so it can get a little loud at night but I was not particularly bothered by it. Otherwise, there isn't a whole lot going on in this neighborhood and while probably safe at night, I would refrain from wandering the area at night by myself. As mentioned by other reviewers, the bed can get a bit uncomfortable due to a plastic liner under the fitted sheets. The shower was not always steaming hot and the towels are a bit threadbare but the ladies at the front desk were always nice, arranged for cabs, and explained where things are in San Juan.
I really enjoyed its proximity to the Universidad train station (if I remember correctly, take it to Sagrado Corazon and then the bus to Old San Juan - about 30 minutes total). Runners can also enjoy a good run around the UPR campus - there is also a track if you cross the overpass after the parking lots. Dinner options are a bit sparse in the area and the breakfast is not anything to write about - mainly crackers/cookies/bread (with toaster) - VERY basic.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AyakaFaithS
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel allows you to spend your money on the sites and eateries while providing a clean place to lay your head. Ours was an extended stay of 6 days which cut our cost tremendously by choosing to stay here. Don't go expecting the luxuries you may be used to in higher priced lodging and you won't have a problem. It's well maintained, clean, conveniently located, has friendly staff and good air conditioning. The rooms are constructed to provided comfort from the heat with ceiling fans, tile floors, and low lighting. If I were to go and stay there again, I would bring my own towels. Theirs were usable but rather rough. I learned a trick of putting the bedspread under the sheets which provided cushioning and made the mattress more tolerable. I also traveled with my own sheets. They were under construction adding more rooms so it was a bit noisy if we stayed around during the day. The breakfast is a nice gesture but truly bare bones. The redeeming feature of being within walking distance of nice reasonably priced eateries compensated for this. Also a microwave and fridge are provided, so you can buy groceries and fix your own simple meals.

Room Tip: The breakfast is set on the first floor patio so it can get a little noisy early in the morning if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends