Castro Guest House Old San Juan
US$396
US$212
US$368
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
US$405
US$343
US$383
US$354
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$171
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$360
US$311
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I have to agree with previous posters, I thought the location was perfect for travelers on foot as it was close to shopping, restaurants, bars and attractions in Old San Juan. I found that Vincente (Manager/Owner) and his father to be both helpful and friendly. However, for most travelers, I would assume the accommodations were of the bare bones type. The rooms are minimally furnished with mismatched pieces and the mattress/bedding/pillow were in desperate need of replacement. My room had several large openings, without screens at the top of the walls, as well as one on the roof, although I did not see any insects in the room. The shared bath was never really clean looking (the same hair in shower drain) for the three days I was there although you could tell someone had come in to empty the waste barrels and such. As with much of San Juan, there did not seem to be much water pressure, but there also seemed to be a lack of hot/warm water to shower or wash in the sink. I did not run into any other guests that were tourists, the floor I was on seemed to house several long term guests as their rooms looked like they were furnished with a number of personal items. I think the next time in San Juan, I will look to spend a little more to stay in a more comfortable room, but in a pinch, I would return for a night before or after a cruise.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you are carrying a lot of bags, I would suggest a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The number to contact Castro's is: 787-722-5436.

I have stayed here many times and have always enjoyed the friendliness of the owners and the excellent location in downtown old San Juan. The building is older, but the facilities are kept clean and security is good with locks on exterior and room doors.

Recommended for any economy traveller.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Kevin23997
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The location is probably impossible to beat- in my opinion this is easily the best area in San Juan to stay. Castro was really kind (particularly if speak Spanish). My BFF and I stayed in a lovely room on the second or third floor, in a streetside room. We had a really nice balcony, but you will definitely hear street sounds, which might be something to keep in mind if that kind of thing bothers you. For us, it was a really nice breeze and view. The room itself was pretty, with gorgeous old tiling. Our room had a fan (no AC) a queen bed and a futon. There are several shared bathrooms on each floor, and honestly they aren't exactly immaculate and there wasn't usually hot water (which in the February heat was no problem), still, I found this place worthwhile and would recommend staying here if you are brave and on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lselitsk
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Great location and amazing value! Late checkin wasn't a problem. Its a very very bare bones place, but it's well kept, Castro is an incredibly friendly guy, though if you don't know any Spanish communicating can be difficult.

I traveled with 2 other people we got a room with 2 beds and a futon for $16/night each, you literally can't beat that! 3 bathrooms per floor mean you never have to wait for a shower.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Br3ttW
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This place and the Fortaleza Guest house down the street (didnt stay there) might be the only options for the budget traveller in San Juan, and they may be the only reasonably priced things in the whole Old San Juan area, so thank god they still exist. The balcony rooms are 35$ and are huge even for two people, one has two futons and both have a fridge, a plastic table and chairs and double doors opening onto a balcony overlooking the street. There is a bar across the street that blasts music till 3am even if there's only two people in the place, so if the sounds of street noise and latin music doesn't lull you to sleep at night you might want to opt for one of the interior rooms, which I cant comment on. The hotel seems very safe and secure.
The whole place seems to be solely staffed, 24/7, by one very nice and very old man named Enrique who walks very slowly and doesnt speak much english. I'm sure he does the best he can cleaning, and the rooms are clean, but the shared bathrooms are definitely a little grungy. Not deplorably disgusting or anything but a little gross. They're so old that they could probably never look really clean, though, no matter how much you scrubbed them.
Enrique is also the guy you check in with, and since he's usually on the second floor and the gate downstairs is always locked, it can be hard to get a hold of him. There was a buzzer, but it didnt seem to do anything when I was there, so I'd recommend bringing the phone# with you so you can call him when you get there. Once he gives you your key its all good.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo