“A little gem in PR”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Atlanta, GA
“A little gem in PR”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was a little skeptical about reserving a boutique hotel over the internet, but I read the other reviews on Tripadvisor and they were so favorable that I went ahead and took the chance. I wasn't disappointed. Everything in the reviews I read was right on target. A great little hotel. Feels like you are in someone's home and the neighborhood is lovely. Residential but still close to everything. I had originally reserved a queen bed but they had us reserved for a double. When I said that a double would not do, they rearranged some rooms and we were given a king room! I was surprised and delighted especially since they were totally booked for the weekend. The staff is so friendly and helpful. There is a lovely courtyard where you can sit in the mornings and enjoy your coffee and a terrace on top floor where you can sit out in the evenings and relax. A wonderful experience! I will definitely come back and the Coral Princess will be my choice every time I visit Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: We had a room on the courtyard side and it was very quiet. The street is busy until around 12 midni...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank bghayesAtlanta_GA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My sister and I stayed at the Coral Princess for four days, and we absolutely loved it. The location is fantastic- only a block from the beach, and there's a Walgreens and some amazing restaurants right around the corner. I definitely recommend getting bistec trifongo at Orozco's at some point. It's right down the street and has the best trifongo and the biggest mojitos we experienced on our whole trip! It's also extremely easy to catch taxis right outside- we never had to wait more than one or two minutes before one came by.

The staff was the best part of our stay- they really went above and beyond to keep us comfortable and happy. The free breakfast is great- a variety of pastries and other choices, and the coffee machine actually makes a wonderful cappuccino and is available 24 hours. They let us check out an hour after check out time because our flight didn't leave until later, and the maid service was prompt and discreet. Also, one of the staff members (I can't remember her name, but I wish I could because she was wonderful) recommended some excellent places to go. We took two of her suggestions and they were spot on- she really knew the area and personalized her suggestions to what kind of trip we were looking to have. She was incredibly friendly, and it should be noted that every staff member we interacted with was super friendly and spoke English perfectly well.

The facility itself is adorable- very romantic and simple. Don't go in expecting what you would find in a chain hotel- this place is a boutique hotel, so it is unique and much more personalized. The pool and spa were small but very nice- there were hardly any other guests staying there so we basically had the run of the place and were always alone in the pool/spa. The spa is on the roof so it's got a cool view and is super relaxing. The room was also really nice because the shower was spacious, the refrigerator was convenient and stocked with cheap refreshments, and we felt safe and secure inside. Also, the key to the room was an actual key! I've never seen that before, so it was pretty neat. The only downside was that they only gave us one key, but it ended up not being a problem at all.

Another aspect we loved was that the front entrance to the hotel is always locked, and someone has to buzz you in every time you enter. I really liked this because we were two girls traveling by ourselves and had a couple of late nights, so having someone there 24/7 to keep an eye on us coming in and out was very much appreciated.

Overall, the Coral Princess is the perfect place to go as a couple, with friends, or with adult family members. I wouldn't recommend staying there with children because it's a quiet, relaxed atmosphere and kids would be too loud for the other guests- the halls definitely echo and there isn't much barrier between your room and the sounds in the hallways. Never had a problem with outside noise, because although the hotel is on a somewhat busy street, it's a pretty quiet one.

My sister and I had zero complaints with our stay and would 100% go there again. I recommend the Coral Princess to anyone and everyone looking to have an easy, relaxed stay in PR.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor if you want the most peace and quiet- there's nothing but roo...
7 Thank Ally R
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a comfortable place to call home while you are on vacation, then the Coral Princess is for you. The rooms are clean and welcoming. If you can afford or want to spend a little extra for the penthouse, then you will get extra space which is great for groups.

It is a small bed and breakfast where you definitely feel at home. It has an open atmosphere where it is possible to relax at the hotel. It doesn't have the same amenities as other resort hotels like a fitness center, but you are in the tropics! Run outdoors! It is conveniently located near the beach and Ashford Avenue. You have clubs and fine dining at your door step.

The staff is friendy and helpful. The true star and gem is Margarita, the young woman working the breakfast counter. She is born and raised in Puerto Rico. She has great advice of what to do and what to eat. If you are looking for more touristy activities, she can make awesome recommendations. If you are looking for places where locals eat and hang, she can make the best recommendations. She definitely helped make our trip better by providing useful information, tips, and guidance about literally everything.

For me, she was the reason why I enjoyed staying here. She is warm, incredibly sweet, and very good natured. I can see why she works the breakfast counter because she definitely adds extra sunshine to the breakfast nook.

If you decide to stay here, seek out Margarita for scoop of what is good in Condado.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Elizabeth T
Neubiberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed in the Coral Princess Hotel for two nights before my return flight to Germany. The hotel is small, clean and conveniently located close to the main street in Condado with restaurants and shops, and few steps to the beach.
The room was not very spacious, but well equipped. I liked the bathroom, a little bit used but somehow charming. In the hotel, I enjoyed breakfasts, especially relatively good choice of food. The hotel staff was very friendly. There is a jacuzzi on the rooftop, but I preferred the salty water of Atlantic. On the same floor, there is also a pool table.
Unfortunately on the day of my arrival, there was a number of blackouts in Condado and a noisy emergency power unit was just behind my window (running for several hours).

2 Thank Agatol
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We selected this hotel based upon traveler reviews we found on-line. The Coral Princess did not disappoint! The building is older and not modern by any means, but it was exactly what we were looking. We wanted a quaint representation of Puerto Rico without glitz and glam, just clean and comfortable. I think there are about 25 rooms total. Ours was on the second floor overlooking the parking lot. After spending the days exploring Condado and Old San Juan, we looked forward to a cozy, quiet night of restful sleep. We didn't hear other guests, casino noise, band music or any of the other disruptions that often come with major hotel chains.

The staff was extraordinary. We felt welcome no matter where we wandered. A simple breakfast was ready each morning (hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, tea, breads, ham slices, cheese slices and fruit), but it was more than enough to tide us over until a late afternoon meal. The two ladies we met in the kitchen area were very pleasant. Various coffee drinks, tea drinks and juices are available constantly.

There were, I think, three different people at the front desk and each of them was more than willing to patiently answer our questions and make suggestions for our day.

The property has a lovely courtyard filled with native plants and tables with chairs, a pool area, an ice machine, a reading/game room and a small foyer by the front desk.

Each and every area was kept clean and neat. Another important point for me is that the only entrance was through the front door which was kept locked and opened only if the front desk buzzed open the door. I felt very safe. We were also allowed to leave our luggage with the staff until we were ready to head to the airport and return home.

We didn't have a car and really didn't want to pay taxi fares (the fares seem to vary from driver to driver and sometimes were negotiable. The Coral Princess is located very close to the bus routes, the beach, the casinos, several nice restaurants and, of course, a trillion places to get alcohol.

I definitely recommend the Coral Princess to anyone who wants to sample nightlife, but not have it intrude 24X7. And I almost forgot, it is very, very affordable for all that is offered.

Room Tip: We only saw room 13 and were very satisfied with it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LindyFromFlorida
Trevose, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for three nights prior to a cruise. Location is great, close to public transportation, and walking distance to many restaurants and stores to purchase anything that you might need. Easy bus ride to Old San Juan. The price is very reasonable for all that they offer!

They also have beer, soda, and water in the room for $1-2! Nice perk!

The hospitality is wonderful!!! They were always there to help when needed. Breakfast is very good...but the coffees available all day is the best!!!! Very nice to sit outside and eat outside. Beautiful landscaping all through the hotel.

It's a small hotel, but offers everything you could possible need! We stayed in a room with a full bed. The room had enough room for two of us, along with all of our luggage. There was a small sitting table, small refrigerator. The room had everything that I needed.
Nice pool, small, but usually had it to ourselves!

If I get back to Puerto Rico, I don't think that I would stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: My only suggestion, get a room off of the road. It could be loud a little at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank HrComsTrbl
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

When we checked in, the person at the desk overcharged us $40 from the price we booked at, and when we questioned him about it said it was the city tax and service fee. However, we checked our Priceline email again and it said that those were included, and we showed him. He quickly apologized and refunded the extra. However, based on the speed of his reaction it seemed like he was used to doing this, meaning that the hotel probably gets away with this on unsuspecting tourists.

On the other hand, the rooms and service are good and the breakfast is better than none. Croissants, muffins, white bread, fruits, and juice machine (not fresh squeezed).

3 Thank Richard W