I just returned from the Hotel Plaza De Armas on November 25, 2012. Thanks to all the fellow Trip Advisor travelers who provided honest feedback on this hotel. I title this review, "Down Home Hospitality," because this is the service weeceived from Luis when we arrived around 11am. As you know, normal check is around 3pm, but Luis took note of our group and my mom (a senior in a wheelchair) and checked us in within 30 minutes. That gesture is much appreciated because she was exhausted from traveling. We were able to take a nap and freshed up, well ahead of what we anticipated. Luis and the crew were overall very helpful and treated us like family. I had to laugh, because Luis always seemed to be around at the right moment to help get Mom in/out of the property with the wheelchair. The restaurant recommendation was great. I can't recall the name at this moment, but it was only a 20 minute walk to 280 Calle De Sol. Really worth the venture. The location is EXCELLENT. Right outside - a few steps to your right - is a trolley stop. Use the FREE trolley as transport to the major attractions. The trolley is "hop-on-hop-off" so you can explore at your own pace. There are actually 2 free trolley runs. Just across the plaza from the hotel are lots of shops and 2 fast food eateries (Subway and Wendys). But if you also walk a few blocks away, you will reach another plaza with Starbucks (that can be your landmark) and several local restaurants next door. You cannot go wrong at the Hotel Plaza De Armas. Just a note: This is formerly the Howard Johnson. If your taxi driver cannot locate the hotel, tell him/her it's the former Howard Johnson property and they can find it.) Finally, the ride is about 15-20 minutes from the aiport. The flat rate to/from the aiport to this property is $21 + $1 per bag (including roller bags. If the bag has wheels, there is an additional $1 charge per bag).
Thanks again Luis for everything. I wish we made plans to stay longer.
Your first Jamaican visitor :-)
(Hope this clue rings jolts your memory)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hotel Plaza De Armas, located in the colonial district of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Hotel Plaza De Armas is for travelers looking to be in the center of Old San Juan. Hotel Plaza de Armas is a delightfully captivating colonial style hotel in the heart of picturesque Old San Juan, a city as rich in history as it is in culture. The colonial building features its unique and renowned antique elevator true to its history. In every direction you can find world-class shopping, dining and entertainment. Our completely unique location highlights spectacular views of the Plaza De Armas and puts you mere cobblestones away from 16th century Spanish fortresses, fascinating museums and art galleries. The modest standard rooms are windowless, excellent for a good night sleep. Suites overlook the city hall and Plaza de Armas. Hotel Plaza De Armas also offers high-speed Internet access in all common areas of the property. Even though everything is at walking distance, we have a trolley stop right outside our door and a taxi line across from the hotel .We look forward to your stay at Hotel Plaza De Armas! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Plaza De Armas
- Howard Johnson San Juan
- Howard Johnson Old San Juan
- San Juan Howard Johnson