“good deal for what you get.”

Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“good deal for what you get.”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Excellent location in Old San Juan. Across the street from a park area and a block from the grocery store. The place has character, but not your typical cookie-cutter luxurious hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, but there are no windows in the interior rooms. But really, who goes to Puerto Rico to stay in a hotel??? We enjoyed saving a few bucks by staying here and instead spending our budgeted $$ on excursions.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Bayamon
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Booked because was going to a good friend birthday and don't want to worry about drinking and driving. The rooms are small but we only need them to rest. Staff was friendly and attentive. We have a blast and you can literally return to the hotel crawling since it is right on the middle of Old San Juan. For the price, I think we get a bargain. Definitively will do it again! My only complaint will be the pillows were too hard. You can buy some in Marshalls which is one minute away.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Windermere, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I booked the Hotel Plaza De Armas due to its location in Old San Juan. The hotel is conveniently located in the center of the old town and in walking distance of all of the key sites. One thing to consider is traffic in the afternoons in Old San Juan. If you are taking a taxi from the airport, the cost is a set $22-23. This is good as the traffic was stop and go for a significant amount of time while traversing one-way streets en-route to the hotel. Once at the hotel I was warmly greeted by the receptionist who checked me in and provided me with some information about the city. She also gave me a coupon for a free piña colada at the Barrachina Restaurant.

I understood from the initial booking that there were no windows in my room, as it is clearly stated on the website. If you want a suite with a window you have to pay more. From what I saw of the area around the hotel, while nice, isn't necessarily worth the price. Besides it was too hot and humid for my liking to sit outside on the balcony anyways. The room itself was very small, but since I spent most of my time outside exploring it didn't really matter. There was a single bed, a table, small dresser, bedside table with lamp and a small TV.

The dresser is a combination of drawers and a section to hang your clothes. However the top portion isn't really big enough to hang your clothes without them touching the bottom. The floor of the room and bathroom is all tiles. As such there is no sound insulation which is a problem when using the air conditioning. The air conditioner is a must as it gets hot and stuffy without it. It is impossible to sleep as you hear the air conditioner whining away. As other posts have mentioned, the room wasn't as clean as it should've been either. One benefit however with no windows as the room is nice and dark at night. The lighting is good and not an issue.

The bathroom had only a shower. There really was no hot water, only lukewarm water at best. I tried both in the evening and morning without any success for hot water. You also had to force the shower door shut as it did not close properly. Soap and shampoo are provided inside the shower in a container. It wasn't until I was in the shower that I noticed that the shampoo was completely empty and the soap was very close to being empty as well. There is no conceivable reason the container should be empty prior to a new guest checking into the room. I opened the container for the cleaning crew to refill it the next day. However when I came back the next day prior to going to dinner around 1800 the room had yet to be serviced. I had to go to the front desk to inform them and fortunately it was addressed by the time I came back.

There is free wireless internet available in the common areas. Fortunately it worked just fine in my room, but that is not the case for all rooms. However there is no cell phone reception in the room at all.

Overall the hotel could pay closer attention to maintaining its rooms. Since there is no carpeting it should be easy to sweep them. When there is built up dirt and spiderwebs on the floor it is obvious that the rooms only get a cursory look. For as much money you spend you'd expect a better product. The management can respond that the issues mentioned are not possible or being addressed, however it is all bark and no bite. I usually take into consideration when management responds to posts that there most likely are no issues - this is not the case here. Until they actually address the issues you should expect a sub par experience. Its a shame given its location and the friendly receptionists. If it wasn't for the location and reception, I would've given this hotel no higher than a poor rating.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived late at night and checked out in the morning so we didn't need much, just some place safe to rest our weary heads! The elevator was TINY!!!!! barely fit 2 ppl and 4 pcs of luggage! Room was small, but seemed very clean and neat. Great location for walking old san juan!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kre8ivejen
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The worst Hotel I have ever stayed at..ever. We wanted a place for a night because we were boarding a cruise the next day. The location was good but that's where it ends.
Where do I start?
Dirty room,no windows, stains on the walls from squished bugs, dirty floors, I opened a dresser draw and there was a puddle of water in it. Not sure where it came from but my guess would be the extra loud air conditioner. No phone in your room or cell service for that matter. A small analog TV that didnt quite work and if you dont speak spanish...forget about using it.
Bathroom - rusty fixtures, leaking faucets and general filth.
We didnt notice this stuff until we came back later in the evening or we would of checked out that night!.
Also...this didnt matter to much but why only three pillows on a Queen size bed? Are we suppose to fight over the third pillow?
The Front desk clerks were clueless and seemed preoccupied with other matters such as painting their nails. When we checked in, the girl said that she didnt have a reservation for us and then said she was kidding. What kind of joke is that? Weird is what it was. We also asked if we could leave our luggage for a few hours in a secure area and she said yes. Her idea of a secured area was in the common area of the hotel that was not locked! We passed on that offer. Avoid this place.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sette G
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thanks a lot Sette G. for taking the time out of your tight schedule to make a review about your recent stay in Old San Juan.

We are deeply sorry for the feeling you have toward Hotel Plaza De Armas.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences mentioned.

We work very hard to exceed our guests expectations and take very seriously our guest comments.

However we must clarify a couple of things for the benefit of our future visitors.

1.- We are indeed a Landmark (Historic) Building, there is a picture of 1920's in our fanpage in Facebook and our building was already here in that year and that's the charm of being here, to enjoy the raw nature of our culture just in the heart of Old San Juan.

2.- Our housekeeping service is on a daily base, however a meeting was held accordingly to your comment and further training and instructions have been given to the staff in order to mantain the standartd we are supposed to have. Nevertheless if you asked for changing the room I'm most than sure that our friendly Front Desk Agent would looked for a better solution to this matter for you.

3.- Again if you thought that the air conditioning was loud for you and the TV was not what you expected we could move you into another room without question. But I do not understand what is the matter with the spanish language the Cable Provider is Direct TV and All The Channel are in English so the remote control too. Again our friendly staff can fluently speak in English and Spanish to so there is no issue with the comunication in both languages.

4.- Again if you needed an additional pillow you could ask for it in the Front Desk (24 hour service) and one of our Agent could assisted you in that matter. We do not allow fighting inside our room.

5.- We are really concerned about the joke of one Front Desk Agent at the moment of your check in. We have talked to her about it and have received additional training in order that situation like that does not happen anymore. But there is no possibility that our staff were painting their nails as you mention because is again our rules of labor behavior.

6.- About leaving your luggages, we do this action FOR FREE in order that our guest enjoy the city before taking the cruise. there are a couple of places in the area that charge you between $5.00 up to then $10.00 and they are not locked either. At the moment we have not any trouble with this and everybody is very happy with the service. Moreover we are honest people aware of our responsability with our guest and we keep security measure in the area to prevent any event.

Yes indeed we have the best location at Old San Juan because we have a great combination of facilities to get you around the old city: a taxi line just in the front and a trolley stop just in our door, but if you preferred walking, everything is just minutes away.

Yes, you can always look for other location nearby, but they will be always not like us. The combination of conveniences that we have allow us to be UNIQUE.

Allow me to tell you that your feedback help us to improve our services and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way. However next time you have a complaint about anything in anyplace please go first to the Front Desk and try to contact the Administrator/General Manager because maybe that way your situation could be solved in a proper manner and you can avoid uncomfortable situation for you because everything will be arranged immediately.

Our principal concern is to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and always try to exceed their expectations in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Thanks again.

Luis Garzon
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Townsend, Montana
Reviewed 20 May 2013

In March 2013,our group of four couples stay here.My family had stayed several time before over the years,when te hotel was owned by Howard Johnson.All good.Not so now! Three of four air conditioners not working,Doors on two rooms didnt shut,had to be forced,rooms were filthy.had to wear shoes in the rooms or feet were black with dirt.when the desk was notified,all you got was a smile and im sorry,but noremidy.At $200 a nite,can find much better in the area.wont stay again at any price!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 39Traveler
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thanks a lot Mr. 39 Traveler for taking the time out of your schedule to make a review about your recent stay in Old San Juan.

I'm really sorry for you feeling this way. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences mentioned.

1.- It's impossible for the administration to have 3 room in service without A/C working properly, but in the event that your A/C was not working I'm pretty sure we could find a solution for you like moving into another room.

2.- All our doors shut properly, it's not necesarily to force them but again if that bothered your stay I'm pretty sure we could find a solution for you like moving into another room.

3.- Our housekeeping service is on a daily base, It is impossible for us to let a room unclean but beside that normaly what people do is use flip flops even in their house to mantain a healthy feet and avoid any contact with the floor . Telling that your room were filthy and without housekeeping service is like using some kind of hyperbolic words and besides nobody could stay in any place without a cleaning service for so long without properly taking care of.

Our housekeeping staff work daily in cleaning and changing the bedding in the rooms. However an urgent meetings were held with the entire staff and they received additional training in maintaining the standards which we have set for our Hotel Plaza De Armas. This includes proper cleaning and also proper supplies being in the room.

4.- Normaly when there is a situation like the one you describe our friendly Front Desk Agents contact me inmediately in order to find a solution to any matter that can affect our guests. I do not know in which rooms you were but I'm pretty sure that if you could talk to our friendly front desk staff and tell them all the things about you have written here your situation could be fixed inmediately since they could call me and I could move you to another room. But if you decide to stay in that room that was your call and we can not force you to move into another room if you do not want to.

Mr. 39 Traveler allow me to suggest you that next time you have a complaint about anything in anyplace please go first to the Front Desk and try to contact the Administrator because maybe that way your situation could be solved in a proper manner and you can avoid uncomfortable situation for you because everything will be arranged immediately.

Mr. 39 Traveler, allow me to tell you that your feedback help us to improve our services and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way.

I invite you to come to Hotel Plaza De Armas once again and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. I will personally take care of all your needs when you come back if you accept my invitation.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Thanks again.

Luis Garzon
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”
River Vale, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2013

location was prefect to walk around Old San Juan before our cruise. We arrived very late the night before and had no problem checking in. Room was small but you are in old san Juan and only for one night. Hotel stored luggage for the day. If you are taking Carnival you can walk to the port but if you are on Royal Caribbean you need a taxi to the port - about $15.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no windows so if that bothers you for a one night i would request a window room or s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple