“Nice stay in old city”

Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Very helpful manager. Close to major sightseeing attractions. Felt safe . Need a coffee shop in lobby though. But enjoyed restaurant for dinner around corner with hotel 20% discount and free pina colada.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank robert z

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is an old hotel with an elevator that challeges your patience. Everything works well and you have all you need, a good bed, air condition and good bathroom. Better location is hard to find and you can have breakfast on the corner of the square outside.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the square let the noise in from the outside.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here as a rider on La Vuelta Puerto Rico. It was nice and had all the standard amenities. The elevator is a bit slow and old but the rooms are easily accessible by stairs. Great location and cyclist friendly. It's across the plaza from a Walgreens and close to restaurants and shops. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank EstermarieB
Reviewed 30 January 2014

staff was awesome.... location was perfect for me... was there for La Vuelta.... a little run down, but you get what you pay for.... the staff made up for any little things I could complain about!!!! I've never stayed in a windowless room before,,,, and the elevator was very slow and small.... for the price, can't complain... I was there for the 3 day bike ride, so was only in the hotel to shower and sleep.... lots of GREAT restaurants within one or two blocks...

Reviewed 30 January 2014

this hotel is extremly well situated and for that it was worth every penny.
the rooms have no window and feel a little depressing.
the cleanliness was over all ok but you could see hairs on the floor of the bathroom and stuff like that.
staff is very nice and helpful, my flight came in 13h later and i arrived at 3 30am and they were really sweet to respond to my email and confirm my room would be ready and someone would be in the lobby to welcome me.

Room Tip: i had a single room and the bed was slightly bigger than single bed. no window, but i think they of...
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My stay was only for one night, but I thought the Plaza de Armas was great. It is a budget hotel – the “biggest of the little ones,” Luis at the front told me – right smack in Old San Juan on a not-terribly-noisy block. I had an interior room on the 2nd floor which was fine. I’ve seen some comments on here about the windowless rooms but I had no problem with it; windowless rooms are normal in many Latin American hotels and homes. It was quiet and had a good air-conditioner. Also there are some comments about the elevator. Yes, it is small and old – get over it people! Haha. How often do you even need to ride it? No big deal. Luis at the front is extremely nice and helpful as are other staff. I noticed that the room keys (cards) malfunctioned for me more than once, and for other guests; true, the hotel should probably sort out this problem. But I had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Second floor probably a good bet, so that you're less reliant on the elevator yet it's quiet...
1  Thank johnsonkatherine50
Reviewed 23 January 2014

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. This is a historic hotel in the heart of Old San Juan ..... It is not a place to stay if you are expecting anything resort like. It is a place to stay if location is important to you. This hotel is old, quaint, and perfectly located .... a Diamond still in the Rough. We stayed two nights pre cruise, without a car. Loved being able to walk everywhere we wanted to explore in OSJ! The hotel needs some TLC, and would be an awesome boutique hotel with the right investors. As in other reviews the elevator is very small and slow .... 1 minute 20 seconds to ride from the first floor to the fourth (we timed it several times.) Initially, I booked a queen room, not realizing there were no windows. When I realized it a day before our trip, I sent an email asking for a room with a window. We upgraded to a front room on the fourth floor, which had a window and an unexpected balcony. (One old chair and table, unkept area.) The room (402) was small, a King and single bed, desk, dresser, flat screen tv, tight walking area for two people ..... Basic needs ..... This is where you focus on the location, location, location. There was a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in the room, but no coffee, cups, or condiments offered. I suppose it was there to use, if you purchased your own. The door leading to the balcony wasn't completely sealed (nor the window) so the sounds from the street/square are heard throughout the night. I choose to think of it as part of the experience ..... It was only two nights, but if you are a light to mild sleeper, you may not get much rest in a street side room. For us, location overrode amenities .... Though the entire time I was anywhere in the hotel, I kept dreaming of the potential the place had.
As for cleanliness, our room, hall areas, and the lobby were clean. Ambience is lacking, ... simply having light music playing in the lobby would make a huge difference, I think.
This is a two star hotel, but again, location is perfect for a short stay. There are restaurants, and all the shopping you need within steps, history everywhere. A grocery store, and two pharmacies are just across the square.
If your trip is pre or post cruise for a day or two, and you want to see OSJ, stay here. If your trip is longer and about the sun and beach, this isn't the place for you.
Staff was pleasant, and efficient ..... No one stood out. They were helpful to answer any questions we had, but we had to engage them .... I don't recall ever being greeted when we returned from anywhere until we greeted them first.

If I didn't say it before, the location is great for touring OSJ .... That alone deserves 6 stars.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple