Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
US$396
US$212
US$368
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
US$405
US$343
Orbitz.com
US$383
US$354
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$170
  • Restaurant
US$360
US$311
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat locationold san juansmall elevatortrolley stopwalking distanceel morroyour luggagestayed one nightfew blocksthird floorcruisebarrachinapharmacypuerto
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I liked the Hotel Plaza de Armas. My room was an interior single which was fine since I was traveling alone. The hotel manager was very nice and very helpful, offering good advice on sites to see in Old San Juan and recommendations for restaurants. A big plus was the location of the hotel as it is in walking distance to all of the attractions.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BGSCT
Reviewed 30 March 2014

When we arrived, the manager, Luis Garazon, did not immediately recognize that we had a reservation. When I originally booked the room, I apparently was misunderstood;the reservation was apparently entered for Feb. 14 instead of Mar. 14. When he realized what had happened, Mr. Garazon not only found us a room, but provided it without charge! In addition, after checkout, the hotel, which is convenient to the cruise pier in Old San Juan, provides baggage storage, as well as a comfortable sitting room. The room was small but comfortable. The hospitality and location of this hotel are reason enough to visit it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rollin D
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hotel is clean and staff is courteous. But the elevator keeps breaking down. One of my friends got stuck in the elevator and had to be pulled out. The electronic locks on the 4th floor as well don't work well. So don't get a room on the 4th floor.

Room Tip: get a room in the 1st or 2nd floor so you don't have to use the unreliable elevator.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

We are more than glad Ranga for your recent review about your stay at Old San Juan.

The comments from our guests are really important for us because we aim to make each and every stay of our friends a memorable one.

We are really glad you liked the staff services and the location but we really have more than that and being honest with you ONE NIGHT STAY(You and your companion was going on a cruise trip and just came for the night) is not enough to judged us they way you have done it.

We are in constant maintenance to keep our rooms as proper as possible for our visitor. Actually we have change the door lock not just the one in the room you stayed (Room 402, by the way there were nothing wrong with the door in that room it was you who did not know how to make it works for you) have been change for other different door lock but the whole 4th floor.

It's true that the situation with the elevator was a little tense since a couple of your companion were inside when it's got stop but this was solved in less than 5 minutes and even all your children were making fun out of the situation.

Accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences this situation provoked in your crew but you must be concious that equipment can failure unexpectedly. After that incident we called our maintenance company and since that incident the elevator is working properly.

We work very hard to exceed our guests expectations and take very seriously our guest comments but I think you could be a little more fair with us and share with the Tripadvisor visitor the way we really treat you since the very beginning of your reservation.

1.- You were interested in 5 rooms and we started to interchange emails about your reservations. After I gave you the correct price and even with a nice 15% discount, you made the reserrvation online (in our website) for 5 rooms Suite King Bed With Window. Then for our surprise everyone of the people who has had a room was coming with 2 more children. Instead of 2 people per room you were coming 4 people per room.

2.- I told you that you need to make an updgrade since the room you book did not allow more than 2 people but then an after talking with our superior authority in the hotel we agree to gave you the upgrade without extra cost for you and your companion and including taxes as well for the same price of the prevoius room.

3.- We took the same price into consideration for the next stay with us the following week after the cruise.

4.- I think Tripadvisor visitor must know that you and your companion saved a huge amount of money in your reservations and the services we provide was really remarkable.

We assure you that Hotel Plaza De Armas is the best value for your money due to the LOCATION and the most friendly staff in Old San Juan area and by the time you wrote your review we are in a really excellent position among all the hotels in San Juan area. We are the number 18 out of 44 hotel in the whole San Juan Area. Also a SOLID 61% of people from Tripadvisor, 80% from Expedia.com, 77% from Booking.com, 62% from Orbitz.com, 88%, from Despegar.com and 73% from Agoda who has visited us and were pleased with the security, location, service and price and for those reasons they continue recommending us to others.

Of course you can always look for another location nearby, that's your call but they will be always not like us. The combination of conveniences that we have allow us to be UNIQUE. We have the best location at Old San Juan because we have a great combination of facilities to get you around the old city: a taxi line just in the front and a trolley stop just in our door, but if you preferred walking, everything is just minutes away.

Allow me to tell you that your feedback help us to improve our services and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way. Next time please stay more than just one night in order to see more properly the kind of services we are capable of and I'm really sure your impression will be a diffferent one.

Our principal concern is to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and always try to exceed their expectations in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Thanks again

Luis Garzon
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here one night pre cruise. I was late booking a hotel so this was the only one left in old San Juan on a Saturday night. I paid $164 including tax for a room with no window. That wasn't a big deal our cabin on the ship was inside too. Bathroom was clean. There were no bedside lamps that worked that was a bit annoying and I had to carry my big suitcase down 3 flights of stairs. Yes the location is good, but next time I'll stay at the Sheraton which is across the street from the pier.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank clovesvacations
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Where do I begin? I read all the reviews, and I had a good idea of what to expect. No problem: one night in San Juan prior to our cruise. But I did not expect a room with a window that faced directly into a busy street to have no glass in it. Then the loud rock band started playing in the plaza just yards away. Again I say: no glass in the window -- just a curtain and shutters. Also of concern: I had asked in advance if there was a "secure room" to place our luggage prior to a mid-afternoon departure. I was assured there was, but that "secure" area was instead a publicly-accessible area just off the main lobby. What else: we booked three rooms through Booking.com, and when I had to cancel one of them, I e-mailed the hotel. No response. I e-mailed again: still no response. I called, and they said make the change through Booking.com. So I did, and they e-mailed. Three weeks later, they had no response. So Booking.com called them and this was finally taken care of. There are a few positives: the location and a friendly staff (which recommended an excellent spot for breakfast a half block away. The slow elevator didn't bother me, and neither did the lack of hotel facilities many people expect; that all came in the homework.
But I think it is reasonable to expect glass in one's hotel window.

Room Tip: If you are there for just one night, suck it up, take an inside room, and save yourself some money. It's still OK for just one night, I guess, but if I am back in San Juan, I will find some place else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thanks a lot TripRabbit for your recent review about your stay at Old San Juan.

We do not know which reviews had more weight in your decision to booked with us but what we do know is that you booked our Hotel Plaza De Armas because those reviews are the opinions of a SOLID 61% of people from Tripadvisor, 80% from Expedia.com, 77% from Booking.com, 62% from Orbitz.com, 88%, from Despegar.com and 73% from Agoda who has visited us and were pleased with the security, location, service and price and for those reasons they continue recommending us to others.

At the moment you wrote your comment we are the number 17 out of 44 hotel in the whole San Juan Area.

We work very hard to exceed our guests expectations and take very seriously our guest comments.

We are really glad you liked the staff services but we really have more than that and being honest with you ONE NIGHT STAY is not enough to judged us they way you have done it.

However we must clarify a couple of things for the benefit of our future visitors.

1.- At the moment you mention the situation I personaly offered you to change your room to a quiter Interior one were you were able to hear no noise but you refuse that option. We could not offered you other room in the same category since we were totally booked by that time.

2.- You mention the music from a rock band as it last the whole night. Old San Juan has a City Code that forbid any loud noise or music after 11:00 PM since these specific area is residential.

3.- Hotel Plaza De Armas has no obligation to provide a space for keeping the guest's luggage when doing the check out.
We do keep them without charge (FREE) since we believe that is a nice convenience for our friends(guests) to leave their luggage without the worry about what are they going to do with it after check out.

However a common area the Atrium for this purpose where everybody leave their belonging. Thanks God, up to now nothing has happened and no luggage has gone missing but there are other places that for a FEE they provide the service of keeping your luggage in a closed area.

4.- When you booked thorugh an Online service as Booking.com you are entitled to do every request about your reservation to them and they contact us after that. We can not intervene in any transaction before you make the check in. However, please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this policy caused you.

5.- Our elevator is a Lula type which means that can not be a more modern one because of our historic characteristic. It allows 4 people or 1,200 pound. Besides we have people for helping guest with their luggages at all time. We are just a four stories building, so stair is just near the elevator for those whom wants to take advantage of exercising while vacationing. By the time you were here the situation with it was taking care of.

6.- A lot of people has stayed in our Hotel Plaza De Armas for a long period of time with us (2, 3 & more weeks in a row) and have been pleased with our services and with their room and if they have required anything in any moment it has been addressed inmediately and without delay. The most important thing is that they have come back to stay even longer and their experience with us has been an amazing one at the point they want to share more time in our place.

7.- We now have in our property a concecionary "Le Sucree Pastry Boutique", a beautiful pastry and coffee shop that has everything to compete with any other location with excellent products to offer to our friends (Guests) and now including breakfast with juice and coffee.

Yes we are not fancy but what we do have is a great location for being in Old San Juan, a clean, quite and affordable rooms plus a great service oriented staff (Front Desk and Housekeeping) to help you in all your needs IF YOU REQUIRE SO.

The beauty about being in Hotel Plaza De Armas is that we are in the heart of Old San Juan. People who visit us do not stay in their room for long time but outside enjoying the museums, forts, restaurants, tours and all other activities that take place near us.

We assure you that Hotel Plaza De Armas is the best value for your money due to the LOCATION and the most friendly staff in Old San Juan area. Of course you can always look for another location nearby Ashley, that's your call but they will be always not like us.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Thanks again

Luis Garzon
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”