“Great shop with authentic souvenirs.”
Review of Arte & Mascaras

Arte & Mascaras
Ranked #32 of 69 Shopping in San Juan
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I was looking for something unique to bring home from my trip to Puerto Rico. I found a number of "authentic" gifts at several shops but the masks and art at Arte & Mascaras seemed especially authentic. Ms. Mestey (the shop proprietor) took a great deal of time explaining the history and symbolism of the masks we were interested in buying and was very enthusiastic about them. She was extremely warm and knowledgeable and the time we spent in the shop with her was well spent. I will encourage any friends or family traveling to PR to stop into her shop and will do the same should I return to Old San Juan. If you are looking for more than a tangible souvenir and to learn about what you are buying, look no further than Arte & Mascaras and Ms. Mestey.

1  Thank James W

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stopped in this place in Old San Juan and discovered amazing lady in this small shop with real made in PR art work esp. paper-māché (shredded paper and glue) special masks for the Carnival.
She also is very knowledgeable about Taíno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno_people) rock petroglyphs of PR and has some books and info.

2  Thank sirgorpster