“Lots of Poof but no Pop”

Olive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
pennsylvania
“Lots of Poof but no Pop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed over the holidays and paid a small fortune!, We were very disappointed in the room size, nowhere to put our clothes, and shower in the middle of the room. The sheets though elegant would not stay on the bed and were hot. The trash truck comes right outside the room in front about 7:30 AM and there is a disco that likes to crank up about 10:30 and go until 1:30 or so and I'm talking loud techno. Breakfast is minimal and you have to beg for coffee.
In all fairness the hotel is nice and hip with good food and the owners are on site and accommodating but we have stayed at boutique hotels all over the world and this place is just way overpriced.

3 Thank PennsylvaniaPaki
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Guest:

I apologize if you were disappointed in your recent stay over the Holidays at O:live Boutique Hotel. Traveling during the Holidays is sometimes tricky because prices do increase according to the season.

With all due respect, when I read your review it seemed like you were not fully informed about the type of room or hotel that you booked. Our sincere intention is to inform through accurate descriptions and pictures the types of rooms that we offer. You booked a Mediterranean suite w and the picture next to the description of this room clearly shows an all glass shower designed in the middle of the room. Some people find it sexy, others genius and other simply prefer the conventional shower. That's ok. We knew at the design stage that this is not for everyone. O:live is not a big hotel, it is a small boutique hotel. The room sizes are not comparable to the standard American room sizes, our hotel was designed following the European types of rooms that you would find in Venice, Paris, Madrid....The closet is a custom made armoire made out of restored woods, it is not a conventional closet...but there is a closet.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the sound of the garbage truck in the morning, I will make a call to the municipality and to the Puerto Rico Tourism Office and see if their pick up time is something they can adjust in the future.

You rating in service was a 4 out of 5 so I assume you were satisfied with our staff's service. Our breakfast has fruits, muffins, yogurt and granola, bread, cinnamon rolls but you mentioned you had to "beg" for coffee. We have a self service Puerto Rican coffee station and a Nespresso coffee machine that most guests ask the waiter or front desk agent for service.

You also mention that the owners were on site and accommodating but you did not made me aware of these issues. I would've prefer to talk to you about it during your stay and offer my assistance in solving most if not all of this issues. Believe me that we ultimately want our guests to leave with a positive experience and we will continue to work hard to improve our services.

Thank you for your comments, we learned from them.

Loisse Herger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

Great food, amazing service at an incredibly beautiful place. It's like a little pice of Europe in Puerto Rico. You have to see the rooftop. It has an amazing view of the Condado Lagoon...breathtaking. Very romantic place.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Jose! Thank you for a beautiful review. We are excited that local people keep visiting us and enjoying our little gem! See you soon.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

We chose the hotel based on its star rating. The ambiance and the decor was extremely nice. The hotel staff were all above par for a five star property and not only helpful, but extremely accommodating, professional and warm. We knew the area where the hotel was and were a little disappointed in the availability of things to do in the area without a cab, but cabs are reasonable so not a problem. The hotel restaurant was extremely busy and they were able to find us a table when we returned from an excursion to the rain forest very late. The food was excellent and service was again, above excellent. The roof top bar is beautiful and although not opened when we we visited, we were able to enjoy our own bottle of wine at the couches overlooking the lagoon and enjoy the view and quiet. The continental breakfast was very nice, with lots of choices. The coffee was amazing.

Room Tip: We chose the Petite room since the room truly was to sleep and enjoy the area after a week long crui...
2 Thank OrlandoTraveler11
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write about your exquisite experience at O:live Boutique Hotel and for recognizing the quality of service in our staff. We were delighted to have you as a guest, on you next visit please write me to lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com I would love to treat you with an upgrade.

See you soon,

brooklyn, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Just came back from our 4 night stay at Olive and I have quite a bit to share with all of you. First of all, if you want an accurate review, read the review by user "MOBIBAS", because it's on point 100%. I booked this hotel based on the perfect reviews on Tripadvisor, but that has proven to be very misleading. Let's go over the pro's and con's:

Pro's first:
1) Nice location in Condado, next to La Concha Resort and the Vanderbilt hotel....very close proximity to all the restaurants, beach is across the street.
2) Staff is very friendly and accommodating. We were able to check in early and check out late without any issues.
3) Rooftop is an AMAAAAAZINGGGGGG OASIS and retreat with beautiful views of the lagoon.
4) Decor is very charming and elegant.....you can tell that a lot of thought was put into the design - great for photo ops
5) L'Occitane toiletries are a nice touch
6) Free breakfast - consisting of delicious coffee, pastries, and granola, yogurt and fresh fruits
7) Free WiFi
8) Free parking

Moving on to the CON'S:
1) ISSUE #1 - We had a standard room (not the one that faces the lagoon) on the 2nd floor. The room was small, had a queen sized bed, only one night stand, and a tiny free standing dresser/closet. There were 2 windows, one faced a parking lot building and the other one faced the wall of another building...basically you can say that there are no windows in the room. OK HERE GOES THE ISSUE: IT'S AN OPEN LAYOUT ROOM SO THE BATHROOM IS ONLY SEGREGATED BY A LITTLE GLASS WALL AND THERE IS NO DOOR SO WHEN YOU ARE LYING IN BED YOU CAN SEE/SMELL THE TOILET. I'm sorry but what kind of moron puts a bathroom in a room and doesn't segregate it with a door? So I'm supposed to think that it's cool or sexy to see my significant other on the toilet? SERIOUSLY??!!?!? I'm all for open layouts, but this is just absurd. I have to leave the room if somebody has to go to the bathroom? Or I have to see it from the bed? You have got to be kidding me. This is a HUGE PROBLEM in my opinion. What if you're here on a getaway with your gf? what if it's two girlfriends? This is like a jail cell with a communal bathroom and you're just supposed to be comfortable doing your business out in the open like some animal in the wild. GROSS GROSS GROSS and poorly designed. So unless you're the type of person that is comfortable going to the bathroom in front of your significant other, I think you'll have a HUGE issue with this little design feature that other 5 star reviews fail to mention.
2) Bed is ok, QUEEN SIZED only - I think the sheets are really poor quality and may contain polyester or like 100 threat count because every night I would continuously wake up sweating since it was so hot, and our AC was running on 70 degrees.
3) Towels - you only get 2 large towels and a few little towels.....if you need more, you have to ask.
4) Housekeeping - the housekeeper cleaned our room as we were at breakfast...I don't think she changed the sheets every day and she didn't replenish the toiletries either. We had a bottle of wine on the night stand and she took away the dirty glasses, but didn't give us clean ones. I found dark hair on the sheets and in the towels a few times and that's pretty gross.
5) Breakfast was good, but I had to always find somebody to make us the coffee. That’s bc the front desk person is the same person that makes the coffee and does a million other things.....I thought boutique hotels were supposed to have EXTRA service....this place just lacks staff in my opinion.
6) Yes there is a pool on the rooftop, but I wouldn't step foot in it. It's tiny and just there for decoration, and doesn't seem clean because there are a ton of leaves and other things floating around inside.
7) During the day there is construction next door - so if you'd like to come to the rooftop during the day to relax, you'll have a hard time doing so bc of the drilling and banging going on in the construction site next door.
8) I read some mention of afternoon tea? - didn't see anything of the sort
9) Drinks on the rooftop are good, but again SLOW SLOW SLOW service.
10) They serve lunch, but I didn't really see anybody there during the day.

Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone. If you'd like to enjoy the rooftop, come for dinner or drinks and just enjoy the view that way. I think too much thought was put into decor and NO thought was put into the logistical setup of the room. I believe that the set up would be problematic for MOST people. This is not a place for kids or a family. Their rooms are set up for a single person, not a couple and I think that they really need to rethink their business if they'd like to see continued success. I think that the fluffy 20 (5) star reviews are misleading and that guests will come to their senses as soon as they step into their room. More reviews like this are going to start pouring in because let’s face it, people want privacy if they're doing their business in the bathroom and if all the rooms have the same set up as mine, it's going to drive away business.
I wish this property continued success and I think the owners are very sweet and have put a tremendous amount of thought into the décor design, but the rooms lack functionality and ultimately that’s going to be an issue for most people.

3 Thank nyer23
OliveExperience, Public Relations Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2014
Thank you so much for this review. We truly appreciate when guests give recommendations on their reviews, but we have great news for you. We just finished expanding all of our rooms and added indoor and outdoor terraces to all of them. Some of the bigger ones even have a living room and a jacuzzi, so that's something definitely you have to see for yourself. We also enclosed all of the bathrooms of our rooms, so there won't be any privacy issues anymore. We also have two front desks agents attending in the mornings and rush hours. Like you said, our hotel is not made for families, since we only allow guests from 18 years and forth. It is a romantic getaway for honeymooners or couples looking to re-connect. We would like to thank you for acknowledging the design of the hotel. As a matter of fact we just won the America's and World's Best Inspired Design Boutique Hotel of 2014, so that's great. We strongly recommend that you come stay with us for your next visit to Puerto Rico. There are a million new things in our boutique property to look for!

Astrid Emmanuelli
Brand Manager
O:Live Boutique Hotel
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Beautiful boutique hotel in the heart of Condado. Great staff that goes out of their way to please you and make your stay memorable. The place is beautiful and great thought has been given to every little space to maximize it to his full potential, since the hotel itself is small. The on site restaurant is a jewel and one of our favorites in all San Juan. I only have one bad thing to say about the place. The front desk staff is OVERWORKED!. In the morning, when the continental breakfast is served, not only do the person in the front desk have to deal with the people checking in and out, move cars in or out, and answer to guest asking for directions and tour information, but that single person also has to stock the breakfast counter, make coffee, espresso, and cappuccinos, and also pick up plates from the tables after the people are done eating. It is too much for one single person to handle. There should be two people on duty in the morning: one to stay at the front desk and the other should be assigned to the restaurant. Other that this, our trip was excellent and the hotel was a pleasure to return to after a long day of discovering new sites.

1 Thank 1greasy
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Hello!
Thank you for taking the time to tell other travelers about your great experience at O:live Boutique Hotel and O;liva restaurant. Our staff does really go the extra mile to make your stay memorable so thank you for recognizing their service. We always strive for excellence and will take into account your suggestion.

See you soon, this is your home in Puerto Rico!
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

We first loved this hotel when we arrived,- gorgeous look. Very stylish and classy interior. Perfect if you want to take pictures and publish on travel or decor magazines but believe me a horrible stay if you are expecting a boutique hotel part of small leading hotels or conde naste.
There was no one at the door when we arrived to pick up luggage and to our surprise also no one at reception desk. I had to get inside the kitchen to find someone
There is only one staff person in this whole hotel and she does it all. From carrying luggage to managing, reception desk and phone assistance.
My husband and i were so unconfortable that a woman w highhills had to carry our luggage we started helping her. Not the vacation we planned.
The whole hotel is very tiny and there are no free spaces.
The noisy of the hotel is so loud. we could not sleep and after an hour we wanted desperatly to leave the hotel. Music on the coridor is loud , the same for pool area i believe to cover up the huge noisy from the kitchen machine.
Rooms were so tight, very small bed and there was only one side table. also no desk, closet nor tabletop on the bathroom.
Phone did not work.mSwitches were behind the bedrest and also behind the curtains. Kind of a challenge to find
Requested a iron and board and had to do it on the floor considering the board was for a table and there was none in the room.
Noisy of the room was so horrible, we could not have stayed there for more then 10 minutes. It felt like we were inside an airplane turbine. The floor even vibrated!
After having to go down because phone did not work it was explained by the only staff of the hotel that it was the engine of the kitchen!
New room, phone working and no vibration on the floor. We thought we would have peace but realized that other noises (much less) would still persist. now it was from air conditioning, the street - very busy - and from exhaustion of the bathroom.
Yes the bathroom is combined w the room w no walls nor doors separating the two! And the toilet faced the bed! What a nightmare.felt like I was in a terrible hostel w luxury decor.
Safety box did not have codes and it only fit one necklace and about 5 bills.. the same one staff assured us that the code (pressing 3 times de one button available) was aknowledged only by her and we should feel at easy.
we had to store our money passports jewelry in our luggage because there was also no safety box at reception.
our room did not Have a closet. only a small children cabinet w 3 drawers and a hanger that would not fit hangers or closes - just ridiculouss
Air conditioning not only was very very noise but was on theo floor beside the bed and no possibility to change direcion of vent so that meant us coffing and sick the later morning. The same at receptioning were the only couche was also attached to the split on the floor. Really unconfotable.
We could not have xtra towels, and no one never answered at reception so we had to pick up more from the corridor. No floor toels or cairpet on the floor
The images all over the hotel in huge pics are from the owners so it feels more like a guest house then a hotel.
We did visit the rooftop where the horrible noise came from. Amazing decor again fantastic ambience but the wood floor vibrated so strongly i started felling it on my heart. The water cascade and Music are very loud to cover up the noise but it just make it even worse.
They had amazing robes, l'occitane amenities but who cares if basics like silence, comfort, privacy and minimum space did not exist.

Btw - we paid an extra 100us and had a faboulous stay in ritz carlton the next four days because this hotel was a terrible choice.
Pillow covers are made of potato sac material (very stylish gorgeous look) but unconfortable and itchy to lay on it.
I regreat not having considered the only one bad review of this hotel.
It is everything that was said and more. The next day we left early in the morning!

Room Tip: Do not stay at the standard room. Please read review bellow.
10 Thank MOBIBAS
Please accept my sincere apologies for not contacting immediately after your departure. My failure to contact you was certainly unintentional but I am glad to have this opportunity to reach out to you.

I regret that we were not able to provide you with the same experience that the overwhelming majority of our reviewers described. Our hotel staff is consistently known for providing excellent service so you can imagine why I wanted to personally speak to you since I was surprised to overhear the different issues that you experienced while staying with us. I regret not having the chance to assist you throughout yours. That said, you will be glad to learn that I have spoken with our staff and steps have been taken in order to avoid future guests from having a similar experience.
I hope that this isolated incident will not keep you from returning to our beautiful island in the near future. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would like to have the opportunity to change your ill feelings towards our hotel. We always learned from every experience and already addressed some of the issues that you mentioned.

Att,

lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Booked last minute stay to get away from the cold and booked the Olive based on Tripadvisor reviews Would have to say that our experience was disappointing. The hotel is located on a residential road off the main thorough fare in Condado, flanked by midrise condos, with a bar/restaurant located that the corner of the block. We stayed at the San Juan Ritz Carlton a few years ago, and our experience was better at the Ritz. If you are looking for a full service property with a lounging pool and access to the beach that provides umbrellas/chairs/ towel, this is not the place for you. The staff told us that their sister property had a beach with chairs and towels. Took the taxi to the place to find it was a hostel with no service, tiny beach with construction, no chairs or towels. A waste of 15 dollar taxi ride.
Positives: The property is essentially a high end Bed and breakfast. Reminded me of the riads of Morocco. Very clean public spaces, strong air conditioning, and a lovely roof top decorated in rustic mediterrean decor. The décor looks like a photo shoot from Restoration Hardware with bleached woods, and is tastefully done. This was the best part of the hotel. Roof has a tiny lap pool that adds architectural interest, is not something one can swim in. If you are looking for a pool to lounge around, you will be disappointed.
Negatives: Rooms are very small. Upon arrival we were escorted to their petite chamber which is TINY but was changed to their Olive suite when I told them I thought our reservation was for the larger rooms. Our room had no natural light, looked onto a parking lot, even though we were booked in the “lagoon” room. When I asked if we could get a room with more light, I was told that there was no availability-although the hotel seemed empty. TV did not work, wifi very spotty. The “bathroom” is a small area carved out of a corner of the room. Lovely sink that abuts the toilet, no counter space, no waste basket, not enough towels. No closet. There is a small armoir, but the hanging space is could not hold a man’s shirt. No door on the bathroom so you had a direct view of the toilet from the bed. If privacy is an issue-not the place for you. Shower water luke warm, water pressure poor. Frankly the room was claustrophobic and dark, so we made a point of not ever being in the room and used the rooftop instead.
Service was variable and housekeeping service questionable. No turn down service, toiletries not replaced. Had to ask for toilet paper to be replenished. On our first night, I noticed many hairs (not ours since we hadn’t used the bed yet) on our sheets and asked for new sheets. It took a second visit to the front desk to get the sheets which I changed myself. Even though there is a card that stated that sheets are changed everyday, I know that there were not as there were marks on the sheets that remained when beds were made. Had to show the marks on the sheets to the housekeeper before she gave us fresh sheets. No experience with the restaurant-never saw anyone eating a meal in the dining room except for the free continental breakfasts. The room rate included a “tea” but never saw anything in the afternoon resembling a tea.
Over all would not return to the property. I agree with another reviewer- although the place looks pretty, felt that function was sacrificed for form. Overall the property does not commnd a $370/ night price tag.

Room Tip: Insist on a room facing lagoon, otherwise you willhave a dark room facing a parking lot
4 Thank Calvin S
Calvin, thank you so much for this review. Guests comments are very helpful to us in becoming a better hotel. Now, we would like to let you know that our hotel has changed immensely since you last stayed with us. Now our rooms are much bigger since we expanded them adding indoors and outdoors terraces. Some of the bigger ones even have jacuzzi. I strongly recommend that you give us another chance if you ever come back to Puerto Rico because the experience will be totally different! Once again, thank you so much for this review.

Astrid Emmanuelli