“leaves you bitter” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Olive Boutique Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Olive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Dublin, Ireland
“leaves you bitter”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

whats good about this hotel is: interior. It's fantastic! Beds are great. Location is perfect - all the top restaurants, beaches are near by and old-San Juan is easily reachable by taxi/public transport

now on to bad stuff: never mind them saying that breakfast and water are complimentary. There is no breakfast! There are some yogurts and cakes available but the rest really depends on how lucky you are. Some mornings you wont have any trays for juice or coffee. One morning I drank coffee from a wine glass. Other mornings you wont have any drinks available at all. (not even water). Upon request - staff usually were really helpful to fetch something, but seriously - in the morning the last thing I want to do is to chase the staff to get something. Forget about having a sandwich, there is no cheese, bread, ham available.

now on to maids - our sheets and towels were changed on regular bases, I can't complain on that. But - I do expect the floor to be swiped at least once per our 5 night stay. You do expect some sand to be carried in your room when staying close to such fantastic beaches - well if you do - live with them! Instead of cleaning the floor - maids will keep them selves busy by re-arranging stuff in your room - and how! We returned from our tour in rain-forest and I left some clothes to dry. Maid figured that It might be a good idea to tuck them between my out-going clothes.. same thing happened day later with my swim-shorts - wet? they don't care! obviously some crazy instruction is given to tuck them away into most ridiculous spot no matter what.

Staff in general - per my stay I had two simple requests: can I have my "breakfast" 15 minutes earlier one morning due to a planned tour. Receptionist assured with a smile on her face that it's not a problem and it will be sorted. Well it wasn't. the other request was when leaving - I asked evening before can they arrange a taxi for me at 3.30AM, I had a plane to catch. Same thing happened - receptionist was super polite promising that taxi will be there and waiting. When we came down to lobby at 3.30 we learned that there's no taxi and it had to be called from there...

Roof top terrace - go there to relax and enjoy the view. Not the DRINKS! Forget about Pina Colada, they don't serve any frozen cocktails. So I ordered first thing they said they have - Martini. Instead I got rum diluted with watter... I can't even describe how disgusting it was.

the building - no one cares to wash the windows. There is no sound insulation - one night an alarm kept going somewhere near by. Another night there was power supply problems so the whole area turned on their generators. The buzzing was absolutely crazy. I had no sleep at all.

You kind of expect this personal service by choosing these boutiques but in reality you learn that they just don't care and you might as well stayed with a big chain that might have a disgusting interior but at least has some standards...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank martinsvi
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Hello Martin:

Thank you for all your positive comments and your constructive criticism. However, I will like to make clear that we included in our stay is a continental breakfast which in our case we have the following items available:
a. Juices: Orange and Pineapple
b. Bread: Croissants and Bagels (multi-grain and regular)
c. Pastries: Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate chip cookies and Cinnamon Rolls.
d. Yogurt: Dannon with Multi flavors
e. Cereal: Granola Multi Grain
f. Fruits: Apples, Oranges, Bananas and White Grapes
g. Coffee: Your Choice of Yaucono Puerto Rican Coffee or Nespresso Machine with Multi flavor capsules.

Above is the itemize products list that we display daily at our Continental Breakfast in our Restaurant. We feel that our continental breakfast goes above the typical, however, using your constructive criticism we have implemented a breakfast menu with live cooking for those guest that feel the urge of eating something heavier like eggs, omelets, bacon, sauces, frittata's, etc.

We learn from every guest and this helps us improve our high standards of service.
We have taken the following measures to assure that our guests receive the best service possible in the future:

1. Our chef will be in charge of the new breakfast menu, we do offer right now a continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, yogurt, cereal and fruits. We will work in the next couple of days to offer a new and exciting menu.

2. We meet with the maids and did a rundown of all your comments. They assure us that they will pay more attention to these details. They are very hard working ladies and their ranking in tripadvisor has been flawless until now.

3. We will add frozen cocktails to our rooftop bar options.

However; as far as the taxi goes, I assure you that the front desk clerk did make the call in advance but being the time so early at 3:30am, the taxi company asked us to call when guest was at lobby otherwise they would've charge extra. Being in Condado, they only take 3-5 minutes to arrive so he assumed it would be best to call at the moment.

Please accept our sincere apologies for these incidents and we hope that your vacation in Puerto Rico was memorable.

Fernando Davila

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed at Olive Boutique hotel for 3 nights and LOVED it..
Loved the decoration..reminded me of Morrocco...it was very welcoming..every time you went into the lobby it smelled fresh and they had a really good scent..the staff was very very friendly and helpfull..and you could walk to the beach, shops and restaurants..their restaurant Oliva is very good as well...I would stay there again..

Room Tip: For first time guest they give a complimentary room upgrade (if they have it available), which is ve...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at O:live, we will share with our staff at the hotel and at O:liva Dieta Med.

The smell in the lobby is our signature Black Orchid, we also love it.

Please come and visit us soon, we will grant you another upgrade if available.

Very Grateful,

lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com
Milford, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Recently stayed at Olive Boutique Hotel in San Juan and the experience was one in a million! Great location, fantastic view, stunningly beautiful rooftop area, friendly staff, unique rooms & very eclectic decor.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your one in a million experience. We really appreciate it and will share with staff.

Please visit us again, this is you home in Puerto Rico!

Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

For a boutique hotel, the design was very interesting and seemed largely outfitted by Restoration Hardware furniture in the rooms, lobby and rooftop lounge (which was pretty cool) but a detractor for me was the glass-walled bathroom with no door. If you're traveling alone, this is not a problem but privacy is certainly appreciated on certain occassions between two people and a bathroom. I would seek an alternative place to stay only due to the bathroom situation. Otherwise, the hotel's service was good, it was located in a fun, walkable part of Condado and the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Teefer
OHYEAHCorp, Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Hello Sir:

Thank you for the positive review. My husband and I placed a lot of effort in decorating the hotel and providing a great ambiance for our guests to enjoy. There are 7 rooms out of the 15 that do have a frosted glass door in the bathroom, just look for the Mediterranean Suite and/or the Mediterranean Lagoon View.

Hope to see you soon

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I wish my house looked like this hotel. It's sublime. In planning my Puerto Rican vacation I did a lot of research. I found the Olive Boutique Hotel on an Amex site and then read all the reviews here on tripadvisor and I want to clarify the cons that I read from other's reviews: Yes, the sheets are 100% polyester but they're extremely comfortable (and I'm a serious sheet snob), yes, there is usually only one person at the front desk to help you, yes, there isn't a hanging closet in the room (at least not in my room) and yes, the bathroom doesn't have a door, and most of the rooms don't have a view but TRUST ME, those are not reasons to not stay at this incredible gem of a hotel. The rooms are beautiful, the common spaces are beautiful, the Nespresso machine is delicious (and they're always happy to make you a cup either to enjoy at the hotel or take with you) and the rooftop is just about the most beautiful space in a city I've ever been in. My boyfriend and I both loved this hotel and were awestruck by it's design and comfort over and over. It's flawless and the food and drink are delicious, too! Definitely stay at this hotel and definitely spend time on the roof. You won't want to leave! Also, the location is perfect. It's walkable to many very nice restaurants and bars, many local dives, too, as well as a short ($15) cab ride into Old San Juan. Plus, the complimentary valet parking is a very nice perk!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Olive Style Suite. It was very comfortable and didn't have a view but there isn...
2 Thank WDCReviewer
OliveExperience, Public Relations Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2014
Bonjour!
Thank you so much for this review! It is truly flattering when guests have such wonderful experiences and they want to share it with others. Just like you said, the rooftop is one of our most amazing features of the hotel with its amazing Condado lagoon view, couple's massage area, infinity lounge pool and great rooftop bar. It is the perfect way to star or end your day. Some of the guests like to eat their breakfast at the rooftop and that is definitely one of the best ways to wake up: with a breathtaking view. We would love it if you visit us once again on your next trip to Puerto Rico. It's awesome having come back returning guests that just couldn't get enough of the O:Live Experience! Once again, thank you so much for this splendid review and we hope to have the pleasure of having you as a guest once again in the near future! Take care!

Astrid Emmanuelli
Brand Manager
O:Live Boutique Hotel
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

We had never been to Puerto Rico and decided to stay here based on other reviews and the price. We absolutely made the right choice. The hotel is immaculate. The staff is so nice and helpful. Their roof top bar and lounge is one of the most beautiful hotel spaces I have ever seen. It was the perfect location- 5 minute cab ride into old San Juan, walking distance to great restaurants, bars and casinos. If you go to Puerto Rico, stay here.

Room Tip: Any room is great, but the suites are worth the upgrade.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello Laura! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the O:live Boutique Hotel. It is really rewarding to read such a positive note from our guest.

This is your home in Puerto Rico, visit us again soon!

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I just came back from staying the weekend there with my boyfriend and We absolutely loved it! It's a very charming, beautiful boutique, amazing decor and it feels like you are in Europe. The hotel has an amazing guest service. They sent us a driver to pick us up at the airport which I found is a great plus.. the rooms are very comfortable and very modern. In the morning you also get a large variety of food, coffee and pastries (croissants were AMAZING, they make everything there). The hotel has a great location, is in the heart of condado where you find a lot of restaurants and shopping all walking distance. I also recommend the restaurant Oliva was excellent,and the pizzetas at the roof top for lunch were really good.
We got to meet the owners and they were so nice and you can see how much effort and love they put into the hotel. Every little detail from the restaurant to The roof top has its own charm. I highly recommend it and will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Lagoon room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frankie D
OliveExperience, Public Relations Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2014
Frankie! Thank you so much for this amazing review about O:Live! We are so happy that you complemented our staff! They truly work the extra mile to make sure that every guest's requests are taken care of! We always make sure that all the guests have the most wonderful O:Live Experience! Once again, thank you so much for such a wonderful review and we hope to have the honor of having you back at O:Live soon! Take care!

Astrid Emmanuelli