“Beautiful, but not well-planned”

Olive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The decor of this hotel is beautiful with a Parisian/International theme. The rooftop terrace and bar are gorgeous, but the drinks are a bit pricy. The pool is also located on the rooftop terrace, but the hot tub was broken and the pool is quite small, only about 20 feet long by 5 or 6 feet wide. I stayed in a basic room, which was nicely appointed, however the planning just wasn't there. The bathroom does not have a door and is located directly beside the headboard and pillows of the bed. In other words, you are going to be eating new foods in a new country after having traveled and you will have to go to the bathroom right beside whoever is sleeping in the bed. The shower doesn't even have a door, but a clear, half-panel of glass. The water gets all over the bathroom floor when you shower and I never did get a bath mat during my 3 day stay. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The bathrobes are very comfy! We had turn down service the first night and also some little macaroons/snacks, but this was not the case the second night. Bottled water in the rooms is free, but the rest of the food in the "mini-bar" is ridiculously overpriced. Our room was on the 3rd floor, directly below the rooftop bar/terrace. The hotel offers a non-guest membership to the bar, so there was a large party going on very late into the night. The noise from the guests breaking items in the hallway and the very loud music made it very difficult to sleep on the first night. The entrance to the bar was also close to our room, so we could hear people coming and going all night. If you can, do NOT stay on the 3rd floor of the hotel. The second night during our stay the fire alarm at a neighboring building was going off all night. I'm not sure if the fire department works differently in Puerto Rico, but the alarm was going off for like 10 hours with no sound of sirens or sight of fire trucks. The hotel is in a good location, right near the luxury brand stores in San Juan and almost directly across from beach access. We walked to Old San Juan from the hotel. This took about an hour at a leisurely pace. I mapquested it and it is about 3.4 miles to El Morro. Breakfast is included in the price of the room, but do not expect anything fancy. It was croissants, pastries, some yogurts, and OJ. They advertise coffee from their Nespresso machine on the website, but we had to ask for coffee from the front desk on the first day. On the second day nobody was at the front desk during breakfast, so we didn't get any coffee. There is a Starbucks right down the street though. The food in the surrounding area was quite expensive and I would not recommend ordering a margarita anywhere in the country. I tried several and each one tasted strangely sweet and not like a typical margarita from the USA.

I would imagine that if you stay at Olive on a week night, the bar won't be as busy and the noise won't be a factor. I did very much enjoy sitting on the roof and looking over the lagoon watching the Stand Up Paddle Surfers. There are a bunch of individual seating areas, so a group of 2 - 10 would be comfortable in a variety of spaces. I would not recommend this hotel to people who are looking to get some sleep, but if you like to stay up late, this could be your place.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor for more quiet!
3  Thank Tiffany S
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your experience at the O:live Boutique Hotel. The manager, my husband and I are available on site to discuss any guests discomfort from guests and react immediately. I've also added my email and cell phone to the welcome letter; I receive emails, text in my cell instantly and am able to accommodate any reasonable request. So I do encourage you next time to talk to us.

We have several types of rooms available. From your description, it seems like you stayed at a Petite chamber, this room we advertise as perfect for a solo traveler but can accommodate two guests. If we have availability, we could've accommodated you in another room without a problem.

The plunge pool at the rooftop was not broken; it just does NOT have a hot tub. The pool does have air jets for massage so I can easily understand why you were confused.

As for Nespresso, your feedback is well appreciated and we will place the machine in a more visible area for guests to use. As well as an easy to follow 1-2-3 steps. This coffee is really exquisite and I don’t want any guest to miss it!

The prices for cocktails do run from $8-$12. I do not consider them unreasonable but my take on this subject is that this is relative to each individual's reality.
I apologize for the sounds generated by the event at the Rooftop. The rooftop club is exclusive for guests and members and the reason it was done this way is to protect our guests sleep quality from a hip bar or an every day party. We did have a member's 40th bday celebration until 12:30am but I assure you this is the exception not the norm at the rooftop.

All of us at O:live really want to satisfy 100% our guest, so please next time talk to us. I assure you that our staff will provide options to satisfy your needs whenever we can.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a small luxury hotel. Weird, isn't it? But true. Even though is a small hotel, it is very tastefully decorated, extremely smart the way the space is used and it has a very romantic atmosphere. The service is excellent, the common areas are very cozy and the rooms; although small; are a very delightful surprise. Meaning that, the way the room is layout makes it bigger. The rooftop has an excellent view of the sundown. The view is also to the Condado lagoon. Breakfast is continental type. Highly Recommended

Room Tip: No view in the rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest: Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your positive experience at O:live Boutique Hotel and for calling us a jewel. Our team is highly motivated in providing a memorable experience to all our guests. I am very happy to hear to you were 100% satisfied with your stay. Please visit us soon, this is your home!

Reviewed 9 March 2013

whats good about this hotel is: interior. It's fantastic! Beds are great. Location is perfect - all the top restaurants, beaches are near by and old-San Juan is easily reachable by taxi/public transport

now on to bad stuff: never mind them saying that breakfast and water are complimentary. There is no breakfast! There are some yogurts and cakes available but the rest really depends on how lucky you are. Some mornings you wont have any trays for juice or coffee. One morning I drank coffee from a wine glass. Other mornings you wont have any drinks available at all. (not even water). Upon request - staff usually were really helpful to fetch something, but seriously - in the morning the last thing I want to do is to chase the staff to get something. Forget about having a sandwich, there is no cheese, bread, ham available.

now on to maids - our sheets and towels were changed on regular bases, I can't complain on that. But - I do expect the floor to be swiped at least once per our 5 night stay. You do expect some sand to be carried in your room when staying close to such fantastic beaches - well if you do - live with them! Instead of cleaning the floor - maids will keep them selves busy by re-arranging stuff in your room - and how! We returned from our tour in rain-forest and I left some clothes to dry. Maid figured that It might be a good idea to tuck them between my out-going clothes.. same thing happened day later with my swim-shorts - wet? they don't care! obviously some crazy instruction is given to tuck them away into most ridiculous spot no matter what.

Staff in general - per my stay I had two simple requests: can I have my "breakfast" 15 minutes earlier one morning due to a planned tour. Receptionist assured with a smile on her face that it's not a problem and it will be sorted. Well it wasn't. the other request was when leaving - I asked evening before can they arrange a taxi for me at 3.30AM, I had a plane to catch. Same thing happened - receptionist was super polite promising that taxi will be there and waiting. When we came down to lobby at 3.30 we learned that there's no taxi and it had to be called from there...

Roof top terrace - go there to relax and enjoy the view. Not the DRINKS! Forget about Pina Colada, they don't serve any frozen cocktails. So I ordered first thing they said they have - Martini. Instead I got rum diluted with watter... I can't even describe how disgusting it was.

the building - no one cares to wash the windows. There is no sound insulation - one night an alarm kept going somewhere near by. Another night there was power supply problems so the whole area turned on their generators. The buzzing was absolutely crazy. I had no sleep at all.

You kind of expect this personal service by choosing these boutiques but in reality you learn that they just don't care and you might as well stayed with a big chain that might have a disgusting interior but at least has some standards...

2  Thank martinsvi

Hello Martin:

Thank you for all your positive comments and your constructive criticism. However, I will like to make clear that we included in our stay is a continental breakfast which in our case we have the following items available:
a. Juices: Orange and Pineapple
b. Bread: Croissants and Bagels (multi-grain and regular)
c. Pastries: Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate chip cookies and Cinnamon Rolls.
d. Yogurt: Dannon with Multi flavors
e. Cereal: Granola Multi Grain
f. Fruits: Apples, Oranges, Bananas and White Grapes
g. Coffee: Your Choice of Yaucono Puerto Rican Coffee or Nespresso Machine with Multi flavor capsules.

Above is the itemize products list that we display daily at our Continental Breakfast in our Restaurant. We feel that our continental breakfast goes above the typical, however, using your constructive criticism we have implemented a breakfast menu with live cooking for those guest that feel the urge of eating something heavier like eggs, omelets, bacon, sauces, frittata's, etc.

We learn from every guest and this helps us improve our high standards of service.
We have taken the following measures to assure that our guests receive the best service possible in the future:

1. Our chef will be in charge of the new breakfast menu, we do offer right now a continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, yogurt, cereal and fruits. We will work in the next couple of days to offer a new and exciting menu.

2. We meet with the maids and did a rundown of all your comments. They assure us that they will pay more attention to these details. They are very hard working ladies and their ranking in tripadvisor has been flawless until now.

3. We will add frozen cocktails to our rooftop bar options.

However; as far as the taxi goes, I assure you that the front desk clerk did make the call in advance but being the time so early at 3:30am, the taxi company asked us to call when guest was at lobby otherwise they would've charge extra. Being in Condado, they only take 3-5 minutes to arrive so he assumed it would be best to call at the moment.

Please accept our sincere apologies for these incidents and we hope that your vacation in Puerto Rico was memorable.

Fernando Davila

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed at Olive Boutique hotel for 3 nights and LOVED it..
Loved the decoration..reminded me of Morrocco...it was very welcoming..every time you went into the lobby it smelled fresh and they had a really good scent..the staff was very very friendly and helpfull..and you could walk to the beach, shops and restaurants..their restaurant Oliva is very good as well...I would stay there again..

Room Tip: For first time guest they give a complimentary room upgrade (if they have it available), which is ve...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at O:live, we will share with our staff at the hotel and at O:liva Dieta Med.

The smell in the lobby is our signature Black Orchid, we also love it.

Please come and visit us soon, we will grant you another upgrade if available.

Very Grateful,

lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Recently stayed at Olive Boutique Hotel in San Juan and the experience was one in a million! Great location, fantastic view, stunningly beautiful rooftop area, friendly staff, unique rooms & very eclectic decor.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your one in a million experience. We really appreciate it and will share with staff.

Please visit us again, this is you home in Puerto Rico!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

For a boutique hotel, the design was very interesting and seemed largely outfitted by Restoration Hardware furniture in the rooms, lobby and rooftop lounge (which was pretty cool) but a detractor for me was the glass-walled bathroom with no door. If you're traveling alone, this is not a problem but privacy is certainly appreciated on certain occassions between two people and a bathroom. I would seek an alternative place to stay only due to the bathroom situation. Otherwise, the hotel's service was good, it was located in a fun, walkable part of Condado and the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Teefer
OHYEAHCorp, Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Hello Sir:

Thank you for the positive review. My husband and I placed a lot of effort in decorating the hotel and providing a great ambiance for our guests to enjoy. There are 7 rooms out of the 15 that do have a frosted glass door in the bathroom, just look for the Mediterranean Suite and/or the Mediterranean Lagoon View.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I wish my house looked like this hotel. It's sublime. In planning my Puerto Rican vacation I did a lot of research. I found the Olive Boutique Hotel on an Amex site and then read all the reviews here on tripadvisor and I want to clarify the cons that I read from other's reviews: Yes, the sheets are 100% polyester but they're extremely comfortable (and I'm a serious sheet snob), yes, there is usually only one person at the front desk to help you, yes, there isn't a hanging closet in the room (at least not in my room) and yes, the bathroom doesn't have a door, and most of the rooms don't have a view but TRUST ME, those are not reasons to not stay at this incredible gem of a hotel. The rooms are beautiful, the common spaces are beautiful, the Nespresso machine is delicious (and they're always happy to make you a cup either to enjoy at the hotel or take with you) and the rooftop is just about the most beautiful space in a city I've ever been in. My boyfriend and I both loved this hotel and were awestruck by it's design and comfort over and over. It's flawless and the food and drink are delicious, too! Definitely stay at this hotel and definitely spend time on the roof. You won't want to leave! Also, the location is perfect. It's walkable to many very nice restaurants and bars, many local dives, too, as well as a short ($15) cab ride into Old San Juan. Plus, the complimentary valet parking is a very nice perk!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Olive Style Suite. It was very comfortable and didn't have a view but there isn...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WDCReviewer
OliveExperience, Public Relations Manager at Olive Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2014

Bonjour!
Thank you so much for this review! It is truly flattering when guests have such wonderful experiences and they want to share it with others. Just like you said, the rooftop is one of our most amazing features of the hotel with its amazing Condado lagoon view, couple's massage area, infinity lounge pool and great rooftop bar. It is the perfect way to star or end your day. Some of the guests like to eat their breakfast at the rooftop and that is definitely one of the best ways to wake up: with a breathtaking view. We would love it if you visit us once again on your next trip to Puerto Rico. It's awesome having come back returning guests that just couldn't get enough of the O:Live Experience! Once again, thank you so much for this splendid review and we hope to have the pleasure of having you as a guest once again in the near future! Take care!

Astrid Emmanuelli