“Absolutely loved this adorable hotel and staff!!”

Olive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Absolutely loved this adorable hotel and staff!!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The space looks like a gorgeous Restoration Hardware dig. Small, intimate boutique hotel with complimentary breakfast that was perfect before heading out for the day. The staff was the friendliest and most accommodating that I've ever experienced. I stayed for two nights for business but I would love to return here again soon for pleasure!! Only draw back is no direct access to the beach. But super close to accessing the beach across the street, they provide towels for you to use, and if you're not looking for a big commercial hotel it's amazing!

Room Tip: The standard was great for a solo business traveler. No natural sunlight, but the darkness helped me...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

For a solo traveler, the Olive Boutique Hotel provided an oasis of aesthetically well-appointed calm, with a suitable room, generous continental breakfast, and a rooftop made for writing or reading with a drink in hand. The staff is amazing; "thank you" to Amanda, Astrid, Shirley and Francesca for making the stay so wonderful!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Let me start this review by saying wow at several things: wow to the staff, wow to how the owners decorated 1st class on a budget (all guests appreciate some of the inexpensive ideas which make it great) and WOW to the bar upstairs (I will be coming back to that: the view, the service = excellent!)
BUT obviously whoever gave this hotel the award of "best boutique hotel of the year" never stepped foot in their "regular" rooms. I have stayed in boutique hotels in many major cities in the world...and although the Paris or NY rooms are very small, they are not even is same "small league" with this one. All the reviews you have read here regarding how tiny those rooms were, are 100% true. Knowing this, I requested an upgraded room "with a view." Unfortunately, due to a mix up, my husband and I found ourselves in the "regular" room for 1 night. The staff was very apologetic and I was ok with it, until I entered the room. There are no photos of these rooms on the internet. The room is about 9 x 10 and that includes the bathroom! there is a glass partition (no door) between where the sink and toilet are and where the bed is. This partition is about 12 inches from the end of the bed, so that when I sat on the bed, I could see my husband on the toilet. We have been married 20 years, but from that point on he (as did many other guests) used the toilet in the bar upstairs or in the lobby. The windows in this room are blocked by dark curtains as the view from them is a wall or a parking garage. Very quickly one feels claustrophobic and knowing how much I paid for that room, actually made me sick. Shame on the owner for trying to squeeze cash out of each inch and refusing to combine two of these rooms to create one "normal" size room. My husband and I spent our evening in the bar until it closed (the staff was super nice).
The next day, as I was planning on going to another hotel (several to choose from at that price) we were informed that our room with the view is available now. We moved. The room was definitely better (almost normal size) from the previous one (it is the one pictured on their website with the glass shower) but the "view" you are paying for is from one corner of one window if you stand at a proper angle. Not exactly anything that one would open the window shades for or pay extra for.
Moral of the story: Great staff, great bar...but since I am not a 100% sure that I will not be getting the coffin for my room, I refuse to go there.

Room Tip: If you still want to go, get the largest room with a view and on higher floor. Have it in writing o...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MMignone
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at O:live Boutique Hotel with two other couples. The hotel is located just off Ashford near a lagoon, walking distance from the beach and the chic part of town. My wife and I ran from the hotel to Old San Juan, but that was a bit of a trek for a walk. The rooms were small but very well appointed. The beds were excellent, the sheets felt great and the bathroom was very modern and well done. The hotel is a themed hotel based on the owners honeymoon (or so we were told). There are interesting photographs all over the lobby and in the halls. There is a beautiful rooftop bar with a very small pool. The pool is too short for laps but looked like a great place to cool off. Breakfast was included in the room price and was very good for a European-style cold breakfast. They had an espresso machine that made good coffee and the restaurant, like much of the restaurant, is beautifully decorated with rustic wood and bricks. The staff was very friendly and helpful (thank you Francesca!).

Room Tip: Our room was a "petite chambre" and didn't have a view. Some of the rooms faced the s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week and loved every minute of it. The hotel is such a unique experience. The rooms are beautiful and the roof top deck\bar has a breathtaking view. The staff helped us organize a few excursions. They went above and beyond to make sure our stay was wonderful. We will definitely stay here again.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We felt so lucky to have come across this property. The hospitality was second to none. The rooms were intimate, cozy, and well appointed. The roof-top bar/pool was breathtaking. And the cold breakfast served in the morning was a nice surprise. This experience made our time in San Juan worthwhile on its own. We would recommend and most certainly return. Thank you to all the staff that made it such a wonderful stay!

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and had the best experience at the Olive Boutique Hotel. From the staff setting up our excursions before we even arrived to the room upgrade we were really taken care of. It was a home away from home. The rooms are unique, the rooftop is incredible, and the staff is top notch! We cannot wait to return!

1 Thank Jill L