“Terrible service”

Nonna
Ranked #112 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nonna provides a unique ambience blooming with history where you can savor Italian classics dishes abundant with fresh vegetables, assorted cheeses, extra virgin olive oil and "live" homemade pasta. The menu includes a selection of dishes ranging from antipasti, soups and pasta with a variety of meats and seafood. "La Nonna was the precursor of this Italian cuisine where they used the best ingredients while preparing everything from scratch. It is a throwback to the traditional and rustic cuisine. We try to respect these methods and recipes from the past while integrating cutting-edge techniques. BELLINI BRUNCH Enjoy an exclusive Italian brunch every Sunday from 10am-3pm.
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had a terrible experience there. We went this afternoon. They had like 6 tables with customers. I was with my 2 kids in my arms and my wife was with my other boy. The waitress completely ignored us for 10 minutes. I found a table by my self!, but guess what the ignore us again .The waitress saw us but keep walking around. That's totally unacceptable. We left when we get tire of the wait. If the place were full , believe me I can wait, but the place was almost empty. Total disappointment.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Jose V
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Nonna, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Jose, the servers and the supervisor on duty honestly apologize for not providing their attention at the time, as every client deserves. We will work new methods to prevent this from happening again. We invite you to give Nonna a second chance.

Carolina, Puerto Rico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a No No”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with my boyfriend a couples week ago and the food was terrible I had the lamb lasagna I think they should take it out of the menu it was the worst lasagna I have ever tried, my boyfriend has the prefix menu the only thing good was the carpaccio other than that food was awful. Service was not bad but we were the only ones at the restaurant and the food took about 45 to 50 minutes. Need to improve a lot. We will not be returning anytime soon. Two waitress came by the table and they were really nice and they took the lasagna out of our tab.

1 Thank Elimar08
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Nonna, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We’re sorry to hear that the restaurant didn't match your expectations and we apologize for all the inconveniences…. surely not our intent. Everything you said will be taken into consideration.

We honor Old Italian cuisine by respecting its ingredients, recipes and methods. Our lasagna is an authentic Italian recipe, made with lamb ragu Bolognese, spinach and porcini beschiamella.

We appreciate you taking from your time to let us know of your experience; hopefully you'll give Nonna a second chance
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Weak is the right word. ”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As a person who has been to Italy and a sauce fanatic, I think I can tell the difference between a great Italian dish and a mediocre one.

I ordered a lasagna with lamb meat.
The presentation was nice, but that's about it. I wish I had good things to say about this specific dish.

The sauce was weak flavorless and extremely runny. I couldn't feel the traditional Italian spices anywhere. The tomatoes weren't ripe and the overall quality of them was bad. At the middle of the dish it felt as if I was eating a lasagna soup of some sort.

I have the impression that this restaurant was not being run by Italians nor by a knowledgeable cook.

Given the other positive reviews I can only assume that they are not consistent with their dishes.

To the owners: If my experience is any indication of the standard at your restaurant, I highly suggest either training or changing your cook. Italian food is one of the most flavorful and charming dishes I have tried in my short but educated life and your restaurant does NOT represent it well... at all.

I won't be returning anytime soon.

Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Nonna, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi Mario, We’re sorry to hear that the restaurant didn't match your expectations and we apologize for the inconveniences…. surely not our intent. Everything you said will be taken into consideration. We appreciate you taking from your time to let us know of your experience; hopefully you’ll give Nonna a second chance and try our variety of delicious pizzas. You won’t be disappointed!
“Great food for fair price!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

A little off the beaten path of Ashford Ave. but not too hard to find. Probably a $10 cab ride from most tourist hotels in the area and they also have valet parking.
Charming little Italian restaurant with Italian sounding dishes on the menu. We had the Prosciutto with fried Mozzarella and grilled Eggplant as an appetizer. Big portion which easily is enough for two. My wife's Gnocchi were outstanding and my RedSnapper in a paper bag was very good too. We also had a bottle of Prosecco and a dessert and still barely paid more than $100. We were happy and satisfied and our waitress, Eva, was pleasant and very accommodating . We recommend this place as an above average place to have dinner.

Visited July 2014
We’re so happy that you enjoyed your meal specially the Gnocchi, we recommend for your next visit to try our Tiramisu Affogato for dessert. See you soon!
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

It was a it disappointing since I have dined at Cocina Abierta,another restaurant from the same chef which is absolutely amazing. My firs time at Nonna which i have been wanting to try forever. The place is small and ambiance is not bad, typical italian restaurant if you want privacy this is not the place since tables are VERY close to one another. The service was good but the food was like i said , good but hothing to write home about. We had the arancini and I felt it was a it lacking in flavor although the ragu that is served with it was delicous. We also had the cheese ravioli and they were served COLD. They looked like they had been sitting there for a long time. I expected food to be freshly prepared and this was not the feeling i got at all for any of the plates we ordered. The Pizza looked amazing i guess i would go back to try it.

• Visited May 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Nonna, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
We appreciate you taking from your time to let us know of your recent dining experience. Everything you said will be taken into consideration. We hope to see you soon and try our variety of delicious pizzas. You won’t be disappointed!