“Stay away”

San Juan Airport Hotel
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Said I would never stay here again, but we did. Omg there is never any hot water. Rooms are terrible small, almost prison like. Dirty , i kept my shoes on the entire time. Staff is terribly rude and do not speak English very well. For an international airport you would think English to be a little more common.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Just like the previous reviewer of this hotel, we also were sent to this hotel by JetBlue because our flight from Boston was delayed which made us miss our flight to St. Maarten. We were told we were going to be staying at the Best Western - but should JetBlue ever tell you this, don't believe them. This is NOT the Best Western - it is the former Best Western. Just like the previous reviewer said, it is a very long walk to this hotel from the JetBlue terminal. And good luck finding the front desk. The check-in process was fine, and the female clerk was friendly and helpful. However, when we got to the room, it was horrible: a small room with drab walls, which I think were concrete under paint. There was a window high above the bed, but it wasn't worth looking out of anyway - it was just a view of the taxi drop-off area at the airport. The room felt claustrophobic. The bathroom floor was sticky and the sink was backing up. We went back to the front desk and asked a (different) front desk clerk if we could switch rooms. She was new and couldn't help us. She made a call to someone and then told us no, we had to stay in this room because that's what JetBlue paid for. So we asked for service for the backed-up sink. It never came. We were just so unhappy at this hotel - the room was depressing and there was nothing to do at this airport! We left and went to the real Best Western which was much better.

Room Tip: is there a good room here? I don't know.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I and my cousin and her boy friend were given complimentary accommodations at the Airport Hotel because Jet Blue caused us to miss our connecting flight in San Juan. The rooms were tiny but clean. Unfortunately that is the positives! The view out of the two separate rooms we occupied were good enough to keep the curtains closed! The front desk was nearly inaccessible at the bottom of a set of stairs. The front desk area was tiny. The front desk personnel clearly were not very friendly during checking in. They were highly agitated when a prior couple wanted a room change because the bed arrangement did not meet their expectation. Unfortunately for them, they expressed this displeasure in front of us. I assume they didn't expect us to notice!
The beds were okay and comfortable. Again, nothing special but not bad either.
It did appear there was a spa but no pool. We passed it by a few times and never saw a soul there.
The only real restaurant in the hotel was BJ's Bistro which is basically a sushi bar. Breakfast was complimentary at a "breakfast room" with very informal signs pointing the way there. The breakfast included hard boiled eggs, pastry and juices. Breads (bagels etc) were also available. All in all it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't bad... kind of very average. I would not book a room in this hotel if I were staying for more than one night.
The hotel was located at the far end of the airport away from Jet Blue's gates. A long walk pulling suitcases. By the way, Jet Blue allowed $12/person for dinner, and lesser amounts for lunch and breakfast. We decided to go into old San Juan for sight seeing and dinner since our trip to Sint Maarten was interrupted and cut short by a day by Jet Blue.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the room's contents before you accept it. If you want king sized beds...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I had a late flight into San Juan so I could be there early enough to catch the Seabourne shuttle to St Croix. The hotel was located at the far end of the airport and would have been difficult to find had I not read the reviews here. Once I found it, check in was quick and the front desk person was very pleasant. The room was small but completely acceptable for a quick overnight. It served my purpose as I did not want to be navigating a taxi at 11pm to go somewhere else, only to have to be back by 6am for the flight. It was clean, with a nicely made bed. The room itself was quite cold, so I ended up turning off the AC. I did not hear any flights taking off or landing. Breakfast was free and also acceptable. Breads, cereal, oatmeal....very good oatmeal! Check out was quick as well and I didn't have far to go to get to the Seabourne ticket counter as it was right outside the entrance.

I do think this property is perfect for a short stay en route to your final destination.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank gemi3886
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We unexpectedly found ourselves stuck at the SJU airport yesterday trying to fly out stand-by on Delta Airlines. We decided to spent the night at the airport hotel, instead of coming home to Luquillo, to try again on an early flight this morning out of SJU. Anyway, the hotel was much better than I was expecting. And the price wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; clean room, bedding nice & crisp, & clean, small, but satisfactory bathroom. Breakfast included. The hallway carpeting should be replaced as it was not up to par. The hotel even supplied complimentary tooth brushes & razors. The front desk staff were very helpful & pleasant. So if you find yourself stranded at the San Juan airport, & don't want to deal with taking taxis to & from, (no free shuttles to hotels outside airport) consider staying at the airport hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuquilloGal
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If ever the word "meh" came into play, it would be this hotel.

I booked it because I had an overnight 10 hour layover at SJU. My thinking was that the sooner I landed in a tropical destination, the better off I would be. And I was partially right. Yes, this hotel is in the airport at SJU. But it is also past security and a bit difficult to find. You have to actively look for this hotel, and the signage is lacking. When I checked int my room, it was very late, but the staff was friendly enough. They provided me with a room key and a ticket for the next morning's breakfast. My room was small and clean, but otherwise completely forgettable.

The breakfast included pre-packaged food with nothing fresh, aside from some hot deli ham. At this point, I would have given my left big toe for a bunch of grapes or a bowl of strawberries. If you're stuck at SJU overnight, this hotel is perfectly acceptable, but don't set your expectations too high.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks a runway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed here as we had a late flight into SJU. Room was small, carpet was a bit worn, but all was very clean. Nice bathroom and shower. Very quiet! I was concerned about airplane noise all night, but not the case. The room had a constant fan/air conditioner and it was worked as really great "white noise".
Breakfast (included) was a bit lacking-which I easily could have accepted, BUT....there was no REAL coffee in the breakfast area! Instead, there was a machine that made everything from espresso to hot chocolate (no plain coffee as a choice) and a bottle of instant granules that you could mix with hot water from the machine.
Dear Hotel Management. This is Puerto Rico!-Please, please, showcase your wonderful coffee!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Hyatt House San Juan
Hyatt House San Juan
#11 of 47 in San Juan
Holiday Inn Express San Juan Condado

Been to San Juan Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!