The Dreamcatcher
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Iberia(San Juan)
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoutdoor showerchef jeromegated communityocean parkshared bathroomhand drawn mapdream catchercommunal kitchenpuerto ricoquiet hoursother guestsprivate bathrainforest tourcommon areashonor systemtwo blockstea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you enjoy staying in hostels, B&B, and Guest Houses that are off the beaten path, you will enjoy staying at the Dreamcatcher Guest House. The property is located in a gated community that is a minute's walk to the beach. There are plenty of food options in the area so that you can stay in the neighborhood and explore things close to you. The guest house is very hip, but relaxed at the same time. The decorations and the mood of the house have been thoughtfully created and placed. Candles line walkways, sweet dogs greets you, and funky furniture welcomes you in the common areas. I would caution tall guests about staying here. My husband is 6'3", and he had a lot of problems with the small, compact spaces, even though we made a point to stay in the larger rooms knowing that we would want extra space, but he still got banged up. Overall, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I lead a very nomadic life, so I am very fortunate to be able to experience many different places, people and guest houses.

Everytime I am back in Puerto Rico I stay at the Dream Catcher. Not just because it is beautiful, relaxing, inspirational and steps from the beach; mostly because I always meet the most gracious people. A definite reflection of the host, Sylvia.

I've never had a problem with my room, communication or cleanliness.
There has always been free meals, shakes, and fresh-herbed teas offered to me.

Great place for singles, couples and groups.

Room Tip: You have to experience every room! They are all a separate world in themselves. I'm glad Sylvia stopped decorating film sets and poured her love into the guest house. It shows.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Positives: The house decor is beautiful, and a lot of attention to detail went into the place with warm touches like tea and coffee for the guests in the common area as well as incense, books, and beautiful art decorating the entire place. This gave the guesthouse a lot of character, definitely not something you see in a regular hotel. If you want to feel like you're staying at a house in San Juan versus a regular touristy hotel, then this is it.

Negatives: The service. My first impression was a bit disappointing. I found the gate closed (for security reasons) when I arrived and rang the doorbell several times before a woman finally came to open the door. She rushed through the tour of the house, explaining how the main hosts had a day off, and she was "just filling in" for them. Once in my room, the Moroccan Grand Suite, I found that it had no windows, a moldy, LOUD window AC, and a UTILITY fan. One of the doors had blinds to let some sunlight in, unfortunately because the room was located by the front entrance of the house and a common lounge area, having the door blinds open, exposed the entire room. For the rate of $140, I expected my room to at least have proper working AC and windows.

I explained this to the concierge woman and asked if it would be possible to switch rooms, and she blew me off by saying she was at the end of her shift, could not make any room changes, and that one of the hosts would be back later. Three hours later, one of the hosts told me that the next night they would put me in another room. Then Sylvia came, and I began to explain why I requested a different room (by which she was visibly annoyed), showing me a copy of the e-mail where I had requested the Moroccan Grand Suite.

I booked my room based on the photos I saw online, had I known there were no windows or properly running AC, I would not have made that decision, and because I booked the room for 11 nights, it wasn't something I was going to stay quiet about. Also, figuring that this room was in the grand suite category, it would not have these issues.

The next day Sylvia put me in the Amelie, which was lovely, had windows and a properly running AC.

From then on I felt a bit unwelcome with each encounter I had with Sylvia. When their security system didn't didn't work and she had to unlock the gate for me she was annoyed and said "don't break the door" as I was trying to use my key; when another host let me borrow a phone charger that I returned to her the next morning, she told me that it was her personal charger, and I should't have taken it. She also scolded me for spilling water on the bathroom floor from a shower I took. So in that sense, I didn't find the atmosphere relaxing, and the hospitality a little below par, especially from a place that tries to project a welcoming image upon their clientele.

Room Tip: I do not recommend the Moroccan (see my photos). The Amelie room, although a room with a shared bathroom is updated.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
10  Thank Stacey N
Stephan W, Owner at The Dreamcatcher, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Stacy,
first of all I would like to say that I am very sorry and saddened to hear that you feel like you were not welcome at the house. We were taken by surprise when we got your review and especially when we saw the pictures you posted of the Dreamcatcher Guest House.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some points for you and the tripadvisor community:

1) The pictures that you took of the Communal Area and especially the Moroccan Room don't do the spaces any justice at all. When people hear about the Dreamcatcher Guest House they read peoples reviews, raving about the beauty and magic of the house & gardens. I am very saddened once again to see you had to take pictures on a rainy day and/or at night using a harsh flash light to distort the images and taking them out of context. I am asking everyone who reads this review to take a look at the photos that our other guests took to compare and see for themselves what the spaces actually look like.

2) We took your feedback regarding the Morrocan Room (one of our Grand Suites) to heart and we have since made same changes. We installed a new inverter A/C (to reduce noise and energy costs). However I want to point out that the previous A/C was neither extremely loud nor moldy at all. It was a regular, fully functional window A/C. The fan that is placed in the room is for additional ventilation or if guests opt not to use the A/C but was not meant in any way to replace the air conditioner. As for your claim that the room has no window: this is not correct as the door (5ft tall x 3 ft wide) which opens to the patio has loovers so sunlight and fresh air can come in. We now have installed a curtain to give additional privacy (which we had offered to you right at the moment when you pointed it out). As we have so many different outdoor spaces and several lounges and terraces all around the house this patio right in front of the Moroccan Room is barely used by anyone else but the guests that stay in this room (additionally there are quiet hours from 10pm-8am). We must say we were very surprised when you informed us that you were not satisfied with this Suite as we never had any complaints about the space, it's A/C or lack of privacy in our 2 year history.

3) Our host Anabellie who welcomed you that day is not just filling in for us but a very dear and loving member of the Dreamcatcher Team. When you asked for another room she wasn't able to accommodate not because she didn't want to or was in a hurry but because we were fully booked that day. The moment Stephan (who is in charge for bookings) came back to the house, he rearranged with other guests so we can accommodate your request the very day after.

4) I wish I had known you perceived I was scolding you when I was simply asking for my phone charger that we lent to you the day before or when I tried to communicate how to use the shower without flooding the bathroom.

5) I can say with an open heart that I have created this place with love and that every guest is treated by me and every host or Dreamcatcher member with the same love and respect that built this home. The testimonials here on tripadvisor or anywhere else on the internet speak for themselves.

Sylvia

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Great place. Beautifully decorated. All rooms are unique. There's so many artifacts to discover. Service is great. Super friendly and helpful people, very relaxed too. The whole atmosphere is relaxed, that's the focus. Not a party place.
You get your own fridge shelf and can use the vegetarian kitchen. There's breakfast available for 15$ and I highly recommend that. You get a three course breakfast with a healthy drink prepared by a chef. Superb.
You get a home made map of the area with recommendations for restaurants and other facilities. There's plenty around.
Oh, and there's great coffee on the house when you wake up.
Beach is a three minute walk away.
I really like the small details like sunblock and insect repellent being available in the room.
One of the nicest places I ever stayed at!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights with some friends - the staff were great and welcoming, the rooms unique - one of a kind outdoor showers and not to miss breakfasts.

As I was staying with friends it was nice have a kithen and lots of places to hang and have a glass of wine or a private dinner.

Another bonus is this uesthouse is steps from the beach and close to other amenities.

would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends