Casa Santurce
US$261
US$255
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnightlife areapuerto ricoold san juanplace to stayclean roomsacross the streetlocation is greathostelplacitacondadoprlodgingluis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have stayed here an other places in San Juan. This is a very clean, very friendly place, everyone
here helps the guest with anything. The manager is Cory and he treats everyone great. His direction are great and he knows where all the fun stuff is.

The location is across the street from Marshalls in case you need anything.

Room Tip: OK get the bus at the end of this short street T5 or any bus going for bout .75 (cents-yup) Then at the end of the line , take the trolley for free which will take you around the fort and kinda into it for free. Also rooms on the first floor for those with issues with steps.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mslioness
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have visited many hostels in the US, Australia, and New Zealand, and the staff (Cory, Evan, Juju, Kristen, and Nathan) at the Island Time Hostel was the most engaging hostel staff I have ever met in my travels. Yep: ever. From the moment I arrived, I was greeted with friendliness and warm hospitality. They went out of their way to make me feel welcome, and to inform and involve me in group activities. Cory, the manager, even put in extra effort to whip together a specially-made coquito just for me over the holidays. Evan got us playing pool across the street, and the staff organized group outings to a baseball game, La Placita, and a local festival. I cannot overstate how much effort the staff put into making guests feel welcome.

If you’re used to the more facility-focused hostels (such as some of the YHA hostels in Australia), you will need to make an adjustment. The room and adjoining bathroom were very small, and there was no hot water. (But hey, you’re staying in a hostel, so if you’re spending your time in the room then you’re doing something wrong.) The staff kept the common room and bathroom clean and stocked with amenities. Due to the limited cooking facilities, plan on eating out rather than cooking in – but I’d recommend that anyway in San Juan as there are many local eateries that you should try.

As far as location goes, you can walk to Condado and Ocean Beaches in 10 minutes or 15 minutes, respectively. For 50 cents, you can hop on a bus one block from the hostel and be in Old San Juan in less than 30 minutes from when you leave the hostel. At night, La Placita was about a 10 minute walk away. So in terms of ease of access to places to see and things to do, the location is excellent. However, it is on the edge of a rough area.

I feel obligated to mention that two cars of guests (mine included) were vandalized during my stay (side view mirrors removed), and one night a car down the street was set on fire in the middle of the night. Therefore, one strong recommendation I have for those considering a car rental and staying in this area (though this advice probably applies to any stay in San Juan) is to hold off on picking it up until the day you’re departing San Juan. My experience was that the buses ran frequently enough so that wait times were less than 15 minutes to catch each bus. They go everywhere a tourist might want to go and, again, the fares are extremely cheap.

So bottom line, would I stay at the Island Time hostel again? Yes – but next time without the car.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank OzNzPr
Reviewed 23 January 2014

AWESOME EXPERIENCE! Our stay here turned our trip upside down. Getting to know the staff and Cory took our trip from a casual stay in a tourist city to an intimate excursion into San Juan! They were always ready and willing to help and accommodated us in everything! Absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Samuel M
Reviewed 6 January 2014

When I arrived at Island Time, I was greeted by first name and was promptly invited to Christmas dinner: I knew right away that I came to the right place. i was only going to stay the night and changed the trip to stay 3 more because the staff and group of people there were awesome. Island time is a highly recommended, I plan to go back as soon as I can.

Room Tip: The private rooms looked nice, if you need that sort of thing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Shakir211
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Staff was fantastic- very welcoming. We got there and were immediately invited with the gang to the $15 all-you-can-drink-rum for 3 hours that evening next door. It was incredible! Met so many nice, wonderful people. Great proximity to bus stop, beautiful park, and good food. It's a hostel, so not the most lush of accommodations, but perfect for my boyfriend and I who were backpacking through. Would have loved to stay longer!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple