“A Basic place to stay”
Review of S.J. Suites

S.J. Suites
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here one night pre-cruise. We only wanted someplace to sleep in Old San Juan. We don't require any frills. This hotel fit the bill. You have to ring a bell on the street to get in, then you're room key (and it is a real key) will unlock this and security doors on each floor. The rooms were basic and clean (some have small refrigerators). Some do not have windows and others have windows that are entirely opaque. There are no phones in the rooms so if you need something you have to go downstairs (don't forget your key or you can't get back up due to security doors) The location is right on Forteleza Street so it is in a great location for restaurants, bars and sightseeing. The people in OSJ are pretty friendly. The guys at the front desk were always nice and helpful. I probably wouldn't stay here for more than one or two nights, but for what we needed this was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed here one night before cruising to the southern carribean. Felt it was a good value and would stay there again. The staff were helpful. Only downside was no window in our room and the ability to hear our neighbors. This would not be a hotel to stay at if your neighbors were living it up.

1  Thank Family5Missouri
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Very cheap - $125/night

My wife and I wanted to go on a 7 day cruise out of Puerto Rico, but we wanted to experience Old San Juan for a few days before. I researched and researched hotels, and SJ Suites kept coming up.

To be clear, this is not a 5-star hotel. Do not expect Ritz quality. This is a nice and quaint boutique hotel located smack in the heart of downtown Old San Juan. My wife and I went in with having an open mind and to not expect much, because after all you are on vacation and no need to stress over the small stuff.

So with those remarks, I will go into detail about the hotel. When we landed at the SJU airport, we proceeded to walk outside to catch a cab. Cab fares are regulated in Puerto Rico and if I recall, it was about $22 total to get to Old San Juan from SJU for my wife and I and our 3 bags (they charge $1-$2 per bag per the regulation requirements on fares). The cab dropped us off in downtown Old San Juan, and there was SJU Suites.

SJ Suites was hard to find and see at first, but it is there. If you can't find it, just ask around. The owner buzzed us in the front door and we proceeded up the elevator to the second floor. Yes, it has an elevator people. The owner checked us in (I forget his name) but he was very very nice. I asked him about things to do around town and he spoke with us for about 20 minutes asking what we wanted to do. Mainly we wanted to taste the food and explore the night life. We dropped our bags off in our room before we headed to lunch.

Our room had a King bed, 2 night stands, a big closet, a chest of drawers, and a bathroom. It had everything we needed for the 1 night we were staying there before our cruise. Again, it was not Ritz quality, but there was nothing wrong with the room. Yes, there may have been some paint cracking on the walls and the bed spread was from the 90's, but I wasn't there for that. I needed a nice place to sleep that was safe and affordable. I am not going to criticize a hotel for paint cracking or an old bed spread, who cares? I do remember the Air Conditioning being very very cold. We had it on 78 and it was still freezing. I like the cold so I was fine, but the wife just got an extra blanket from the front desk and all was fine. It is better to have an AC that works than one that doesn't right?

After we checked in, we went to lunch at Raices. There special drink was a mojito type drink in a tin can, and I suggest getting it. It is the best, I also suggest the plantains food. Raices was the best food I have tasted in a long long time. YOU MUST GO AND EAT HERE, IT IS AMAZING.

Back to the hotel, we had a great time and slept great. We checked out and there were no issues at all with our stay. If we go back to Old San Juan, we will be staying here again for sure.

If you are going to criticize a hotel for stupid things, than go stay down the street at the Sheraton or Ritz for $400+ a night. I on the other hand will stay at the SJ Suites hotel in my nice and cozy COLD room and save my $300+ difference a night to spend at Raices. :)

Room Tip: Use their website to book. Their website is the cheapest out of all travel sites.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cymix25
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We booked this hotel online, sight unseen except for online photos and upon the good reviews on Trip Advisor for cleanliness and safety. It was clean and it was safe. It was also a few other not so great things. This is an old apartment building that is being converted to a hotel. The rooms were strange feeling, as though renters had just moved out. There was no climate control so although the lobby and hotel hallways were cool the room was so hot that I sweated all night. I would have called down to the front desk but there is no phone in the room. The view from our hotel window scared me during the day and really freaked me out at night. It was of slum inner city housing not visible to tourists on the front block. There were people looking out from small decrepit windows directly across from our room. After falling asleep with a general feeling of creepiness, mind you part of the hotel is still under construction and you can see parts of it that look disturbing from the hallway, I vowed to write this review and never stay at this hotel again after seeing what else was available in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Stay in the front rooms of this hotel only.
2  Thank Brienna_michele
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I really loved this hotel, despite some negatives. It's in the center of everything - within easy walking distance of everything in Old San Juan, and some good, reasonably priced restaurants. In all my hotel stays, I've never met a better staff - friendly and always ready to help you. We had problems with the TV and the WIFI, but they were immediately solved after reporting. We had a Queen Deluxe room (404) - very clean, quiet, and with a comfortable bed. The large sitting room was rather a waste other than for using the computer since the TV was in the bedroom, and the view was the worst I've ever had in a room. Because my husband is a volunteer fire chief, I immediately noticed that the hotel was NOT very fire safe. I saw only one way out of the room (unless you jump from the 4th story), and the gates in the hallway were often difficult for me to open which would NOT be good in an emergency. As much as I loved the hotel, I would not stay again without learning more about a fire escape plan from it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

After a 7 day cruise, we stayed at the S&J Suites. I won't tell you the things that the other travelers have told you already. What I will tell you is that San Juan has many hotels, and most are 2 to 3 times the money. This hotel was in one of the best locations... San Juan is known as "the walkable city", and this hotel makes that possible. Yes, it is an older property, which means that it is not like the Sheraton down the street. But, it is clean, and has everything that you want. Ramone is one of the hotel assets. He is such a personable and friendly front desk manager, and is knowledgable of his city. He will do everything he can to accomodate you. I will tell you that we SO appreciated the willingness of the hotel to store our baggage ( we had quite a bit) until check in time. The hotel also did the same after check out, and called a cab for us to the airport. To be able to know your luggage can be stored in a secure location for free.... that is a great accomodation. Ramone also told us to go to the Barachinna ( sp?) 3 blocks down the street. It is the birthplace of the Pina Colada. You HAVE to go and try one.... even though my husband does not like coconut, he LOVED this one!!! It truly was the best I have ever tasted... all on Ramone's reccommendation. Also, there is a small cafe up one street and across from the Pidgeon Park... Cafeteria Mallorca. There is even a letter on the wall from Samantha Brown when she was traveling to San Juan... she reccommends it!! Do not be put off by the look of the cafe... the food is good. It is where the locals dine. All in all, the hotel is one that I would come back to.... there is more to a hotel than just it's looks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back... this will insure that you are away from any noise.
1  Thank believer4ever
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Upon arrival, Raymond, who was extremely helpful with orientating us to the city, met us. He provided us with a map, lots of information about what to see, where to eat, and how to get around the city. The hotel is centrally located in Old San Juan, within walking distance to all of the attractions. Our room was on the back of the hotel, so it was quiet. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. At check out, Raymond stored our luggage for us so we could tour more of the city before we left. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Because this hotel is located in the heart of Old San Juan, ask for a room on the back side for a qu...
1  Thank GregandDiane