“Nice place for a pre-cruise”

Courtyard San Juan Miramar
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a pre-cruise in February 2012. The Hotel is clean, the rooms are specious and have all the amenities. The front desk staff are very friendly, polite and helpful. The Hotel is not located in Old San Juan, but in a business area, not much to do around, however, the public transportation is at 2 steps from the front door. The city bus are clean, runs frequently (never had to wait more than 10 minutes, any time of the day, night or weekend), and it's about 12 minutes ride at 50 cents per ticket (yes, very cheap!) and will drop you right in Old San Juan. Never saw 'weird' people in the bus, even at 8pm at night. Puerto Ricans are friendly and polites people, nothing to worry about.

If you are looking for a nice and clean hotel, and not expecting a resort with a nice and big pool, this hotel will probably fit your desire. I would go back again if I happen to be in San Juan for a few days.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I arrived in San Juan without pre-booking a hotel so we did the price "negotiation" through another site and fortunately wound up here. In summary, we were pleased enough with this hotel that we booked a second night directly with the hotel staff.

Regarding location, it's not on the beach and it's not in Old San Juan, but it's no more than 10 minutes to these sites so actually it's very well situated. And it's just a block or two from highway 26 so it's an easy juant to the airport and other destinations. There is not a lot to do right where this hotel is located so that may be a turn-off for those wanting to walk to shops or restaurants. And, there are some unsavory neighborhoods not all that far from here so if you need the feeling of luxury and security all around, again, this might not work for you. But truly, Marriott is smart enough not to stick a "Courtyard" in a bad area so I really don't think there is any worries here. And, I came to realize that many neighborhoods around San Juan and beyond all have an element of appearing run-down. However, by the end of our first trip to Puerto Rico, I felt extremely safe.

Arriving at the hotel...well, it's a one-way street so if you approach on Ponce de Leon and the hotel is on your left, then you are going the wrong way and are likely to be in a bus-lane. As far as I could see, the only option for parking is to turn into the hotel entrance and leave your car with the valet. I never saw where they took my car but that was fine because I didn't want to park it on the street. The parking was $15/day and I tipped a couple bucks when they parked it. This appears to be the norm throughout most of the metro area so no complaints here. I never quite figured out the methodology of the valet attendants as it seemed to differ the two days we were there. Nevertheless, our car was brought up quick enough so no complaints.

Inside, the front desk staff were exceptionally friendly. It's amazing how a pleasant attitude makes such a difference. They set us up on the 10th floor in a single bed room and although the room was not huge, it was clean as a whistle and updated. We really have nothing to complain about.

The maid service in the morning was great. I left a few bucks and came back from our day adventures to find our belongings nicely arranged, including our toothbrushes set on towels. Again, no complaints.

We did NOT take advantage of the pool and restaurant area so we can't comment on that.

Overall, I have to give this hotel an "excellent" rating because it met all of our expectations. IF you are here on vacation and are wanting to be in the midst of Old San Juan or right next to the beaches, then maybe look elsewhere. But if you are good with anything or here on business, then I think you'll be fully satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We had some difficulty booking a pre-cruise hotel - everything was booked in Old San Juan, which was disappointing. Took a chance on this hotel and we were quite pleasantly surprised. Our room rate included dinner and breakfast for two. The hotel was not lavish, but was nice and also clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant was quaint and the food was quite good - it was very busy, but the service was still excellent - this was such a nice way to spend the evening after a long day of travel. Sooo happy that we did not have to leave the hotel for dinner. Had to take a taxi to Old san Juan and to the cruise ports, but this was not that expensive. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night prior to leaving on a cruise. If you're looking for a resort type hotel this isn't it. On the other hand if you're looking for a nice clean hotel with a truly wonderful staff and a great little bar/restuarnt at a reasonable price this is the place. It was perfect for spending a relaxing evening before heading out on the cruise.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Checked in after doing the walking tour of Old San Juan. Decided to take a short nap before dinner. We woke up and found a bed bug in the sheets. I had a bite on my leg. Went to the desk to tell them, and they were horrified. Immediately sent two housekeeping staff to our room to investigate, helped us move (upgraded to a suite), kept checking with us to make sure all was good, sent snacks and drinks to our room, and antibiotic ointment & bandages for the bite. I have to say, they were very concerned and bent over backwards to try and make it right. The suite room had no bugs, so it all worked out fine, but I'd definitely check under the covers first before getting into a bed there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sandi106
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I live on the otherside of the island and going to San Juan for a getaway weekend for New Years was why we planned the trip. A pool for us is a real deal breaker and this hotel's pool literally has a one hour window of sun all day in the pool area. Who designed this place? if the pool was placed on the other side of the building the pool would have had sun all day. If you are going to this hotel expecting to get any sun you will be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This is a fairly nice hotel in downtown San Juan a few minutes by car to the beach (Condado) as well as Old San Juan. It has the basic amenities expected of a international hotel chain and is clean with good service. It has two restaurants where one can eat but San Juan has so many restaurants that the traveller has a lot of choice. The only downside is that although there is free wired internet in the rooms there is no Wi Fi in the rooms. Wi Fi is available for free in the hotel reception area but that can be a pain to drag your computer there. This is a big downside if one wishes to use Wi Fi enabled devices such as IPAD. I cannot understand why this hotel does not provide Wi Fi in the rooms. Other than that I have no complaints. The staff is friendly and helpful and the hotel is located in a safe area - an important consideration for families with little children or even solo travelers.

Room Tip: This hotel is a couple of miles from the beach so you will not get an ocean view from the hotel. You...