“Best deal for the money!”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Puerto Rico
“Best deal for the money!”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

For those of us who live in PR outside the San Juan metro area this a godsend. It's clean, cheap, and smack in the heart of Old San Juan. It's also great for travelers without a lot of dough who can handle the stairs (no elevator) and a bit of noise. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank GEB577

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
charlotte
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. We had heard about the music from the club until late but it did not bother us. We went out and enjoyed Old San Juan and enjoyed coming back to such a great place to stay. The staff was excellent and super helpful. It's great being in such a great location where you can get to everything so quickly. We loved that there is a unique hotel like this.

Really not sure why people complain about the hotel not having an elevator. This is a walking city anyway, what is so bad about walking up a few beautiful stairs to get to your room? If you need an elevator of a super quiet space I am sure you can spend 2 or 3 times as much and find something.

Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chrischrystal
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My family and I loved this place! Cool, clean and well designed Da House located in the heart of Old San Juan was the perfect hub for our quick 24 hour visit.

The room was comfortable although an extra blanket at night may have been nice since the AC works VERY well!

We stayed in a room for 3. We had one bed and a futon. The room #302 was great, the shower needs a little paint touch up but other than that we were very happy with the space.

The staff was very helpful and the art is beautiful; it gives the place a great cultured vibe.

There are no TV's in the room, which is great since you will really get way more out of walking Old San Juan then you would from sitting on your butt watching TV shows that you watch at home every day.

Great experience, I will definitely return.

If you stay here DEFINITELY go to La Bombonera for coffee and a Mallorca it's about two blocks away and OH so yummy!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank MsBlondo
Brookline, MA
Reviewed 19 June 2011

So, here is my honest to goodness review of Da House. I just got back and would like to give an honest account of my stay. I knew upfront that there wasn't going to be a T.V. or an elevator, so I was prepared. I also knew that it might be a bit noisy by reading the various reviews. The staff were exceptionally kind and helpful and answered all of my questions about where to go, how to get there, where to eat etc. Now, the acoustics in that place is too good in fact, so good that you can hear everything. I constantly heard the door buzzing, the music from the salsa club, people in the lobby in the hallway etc. I could not sleep or relax at times. The place was decorated with so much charm, it is a shame that the hotel doesn't actively fix any of the noise problems. They could have people use a key system or a key code system for the outside door, they could serve coffee in the lobby as an extra bonus, they could provide some sort of pulley to help travelers carry luggage up the stairs. I must admit, I'm exhausted from my stay there b/c of the noise. It's just a shame b/c the place has so much potential.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SmilesDD
Boston, MA
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is, by far, the best bang for your buck hotel in old San Juan. There is a parking lot that is about 10 bucks a day just a few blocks away on recinto sur which I'd recommend if u are staying at da house and wondering how to get out of osj ...

The hotel is nice and clean..no frills. It's kind of flashy in the lobby, but in a really funky shabby chic way. The rooms are beautiful but so so so so noisy! I don't think any room in this place could be quiet but I could be wrong. We are young and love to stay out late but I couldn't believe how late the party went on some nights. The bed wasn't that comfy and they only provided 2 pillows so do yourself a favor and get another few to smash into your ears at night...

I would definitely stay here again, as the positives for us really outweighed the one real negative... 80 bucks a night for a Place right in the middle of the city....easy to pop in to change clothes, drop things off and keep going... It's a real "home base" for exploring osj.... We were happy there for 4 nihts even thou we got little sleep! Try it on weekdays if u are really worried!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Lovintheworld17
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed for 2 nights pre-cruise, on a Saturday and Sunday. We chose Da House for the mostly good reviews and the ideal location, as well as the price. We were forewarned about the noise - they are very honest about that. We were not disappointed!! On Saturday night we got very little sleep. We chose Room 402 because it was advertised as "mostly quiet". I'm sure it usually is, however the party that night was on the roof! We had fun listening to the fun (we are in our 50s)! Sunday night was pretty quiet and we slept very well. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean.

We did read that all rooms had local art in them, but our walls were bare. However, we had a semi-private balcony that we had all to ourselves with a nice view. We did not use the hot tub on the roof. It's a very nice hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. We also knew that there were no amenities in the rooms, and came prepared for that. There's free internet in the lobby, which was much appreciated. There was a lot of beautiful local art on all the public walls.
All in all, we enjoyed ourselves at the hotel, as well as Old San Juan. We didn't regret it for a minute.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank canary50
Center City, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Definitely in the middle of everything so that you have access, but so is the Sheriton, no furniture to sit on - to keep your clothes in, no extra towels, tp, etc. We must have stayed in the same room as those in Jan 2010 with the leaky, smelly floor, had the windows open all the time, asked the desk to check it out as I fell on the slippery floor, they came and wiped with a towel and I told them we already tried that it just keeps coming up, didn't offer to move us to another room or anything, just looked at us like they didn't understand what we were talking about, Da house is a good name because "Da"!!! If you want to be uncomfortable, unhappy, can't sleep because of the noise, no amentities whatsoever, stay here otherwise skip this place, we will not exchange convience of being down town for comfort or at least a clean room!!!!! Terrible un healthy place, their pictures are VERY deceiving! Who would want to go into that hottub on the roof, wonder if they even clean it or put chemicals in???????

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else that has a national name