“Perfect stay”

Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
jack123450
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here for one night before our cruise. It was clean and cheap, exactly what we were looking for. And its in a great location plenty of places to walk around. The staff is friendly and helpful, air conditioning works well, room was spotless. Was there on a saturday night in april, I read all these reviews about how noisy it was because of the restaurant across the way, we picked the quietest room and did not hear any noise except when people were walking through the hotel, which was not frequent or hard to deal with. If you need a place to stay, that is clean and simple this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jack123450

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

We just spent 5 nights total; 3 before our nine days in Vieques and Culebra and two after. Because we had been there last January, it was like returning home and very welcome.

This is lower season which made our stay delightful and relaxing. We chose to stay closer to the music from the club next door but despite being loud and playing late, we were not bothered. Long days made us tired enough to sleep through it.

Because this was our second visit, we appreciated this place even more. There was no coffee in the room but the mornings are warm and lots of coffee shops around which made this pleasant.

I loved our room but won't give out the number.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Srbellee
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed here 2 years ago. The location is absolutely perfect; it is close to wonderful spots to eat and many historic sites. The staff was helpful but not overly friendly. Our room was small, but very clean and comfortable. The hotel itself is very quiet IN THE DAYTIME. At night, it is a different story. If you are a light sleeper, don't stay here. I usually can sleep through anything, but here the music from the club below (and shenanigans from patrons) is pretty loud, even for a heavy sleeper like myself. Fortunately, there are many coffee shops with STRONG coffee which I needed after several sleepless nights. With that said, the price and location make up for the thumping nightlife below. Bring a small fan with you to drown out the noise.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I Visited Puerto Rico for my birthday in October and I must say Da house was an unexpected treasure. Small rooms however extremely clean at 80 bucks a night in the heart of Old San Juan. If you don't mind the loud music from the restaurant Directly across from them and you don't mind being where the party is ,then by all means staying at this Eclectic bohemian style hotel is the place to be. Its Within walking distance of everything in old San Juan and little touristy but nice however do not and I mean do not eat at Café Puerto Rico I can write a whole other review for that place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The tourist bureau in Old San Juan referred me to this hotel. I spent two nights. It's clean, air conditioned, has a nice and helpful staff, free internet and a computer for use in the lobby and within walking distance of everything in Old San Juan. The building used to be a convent and is located directly across from a church. The only drawback is it can be a little noisy at night if your room is on the street side of the building because there's a bar across the street, and the driver's in the morning traffic might blow their horn at 6am, but otherwise, I was happy! The building is unique, the staircase is pretty and there's art work on every floor and in every room. Breakfast is on your own because they don't have a restaurant. It was the least expensive option for a nice hotel in that area and the location was perfect.

Room Tip: There are interior rooms with windows that open to the inside of the hotel, if you'd like to get...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Da House is a great place to stay if you're on a budget and want to be in the middle of all the action. I stayed here for 3 nights prior to my cruise back in February. I was a solo traveler and booked room #309, Dennis Mario, for $80 a night. It was "right above the party" according to Da House's website. Taxi rates in San Juan are fixed, and the ride was $19 plus $1 per bag from the airport.

The room was very basic but very clean. No tv or radio, not much of a view from the window, no closet, just a garment rack. AC was very cold. The hotel has no elevator, so be prepared to bring your bags up and down the stairs on your own. There's a roof top hot tub and some chairs, great for sitting out at night and socializing with people from all over the world. I did have one small issue my second night upon returning from the salsa club and found my room had no power at 2 am. There's someone on duty 24 hours a day, but it took me at least 10 minutes to find him. When I did, he immediately went in search of the problem (a fuse) and fixed it right away.

The location is perfect, right in the heart of Old San Juan. I was able to walk everywhere and never needed a taxi until I was headed to the cruise port. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and helpful with anything I needed. Be advised that the music from the Nuyorican Cafe goes on until at least 3-3:30 am, and then the party spills out to the street after.

If you plan to stay at Da House, know what you're getting yourself into. If you have a problem with stairs, require 5 star accommodations, are a light sleeper, are in bed by 10 pm, don't like noise, need a tv, then this is NOT the place for you! However, if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay that's just steps away from all the culture of Old San Juan, give Da House a try!

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank thejetsettergirl
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had 16 people booking a celebration cruise in April leaving out of San Juan. We searched the internet high and low for a reasonable hotel to fit everyone's budget and found Da House in Old San Juan's best kept secret!! It is a beautiful small hotel in a centuries old historic building in the old section of the city with great walkability.

We spent only one night on April 19, 2013, but we will be back! The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The lobbies are very interesting and the second floor lobby is gorgeous! The artwork is unusual and interesting. The shop in the first floor lobby has very inexpensive handmade local jewelry, oils, handbags and other items.

We enjoyed the Friday night "all you can drink" mojitos ( very reasonabley priced) on the rooftop
( there is a jacuzzi up there too!) while watching the sun set on lovely San Juan.

The staff stored our luggage while we toured the city for no charge the day we stayed and for a very small fee the day after; until we boarded the ship. They offered excellent suggestions for places to eat breakfast and lunch. They gave us old city maps to follow.

The staff is friendly and helpful. Luzmar is a fantastic manager!

I will caution you to book your rooms in the quiet areas of the hotel, as there is a FANTASTIC salsa club ( The Neuyorcian ) attached to the hotel. We were on the third floor and did not hear a thing! There is no elevator, but we are fairly active seniors and it was not a problem for us.

We WILL return to this wonderful gem in Old San Juan! Thanks to all from the US group of 16!

Room Tip: High floors so you don't hear the Salsa Club, NOTE: no elevator
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends