“2nd Time Back!”

Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Sacramento, CA
“2nd Time Back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was our second time back in OSJ and stayed 3 nights at Da House. First off, while this is a cool building with lots of art and character, it is not in any way a luxury hotel. There are no elevators, so if stairs are a problem, this place is not for you.

We had just returned from 5 days of laying on the beach in Vieques, and we were ready to get back to OSJ and trek around this cute town. Da House has a famous club below it with amazing live salsa every night. So if noise is an issue, this is not the place for you. But if you've got energy and are looking to stay up late and have a good time, the Da House may fit your bill.

The rates I believe are affordable at about $90 a night. One thing is the beds kinda suck and the pillows were super flat. I had to bend mine in half.

All the hotel employees we encountered were super awesome and helpful. We became buddies.

Lastly, food. These are the places you must eat:

Carthage Express - Affordable yummy breakfast, fresh smoothies and amazing middle eastern food. We went there at least 3 times.

Pirilo Rustica Pizza - Ate there 2 nights in a row! Yummy pizza, tons of beers, and its open super late!

El Jibarito - Delish Puerto Rican food. Good prices. The place always has lots of folks, which is a good sign.

Avoid that fancy looking Dragonfly restaurant. Aside from the ambiance (which is lovely), that place is a joke. We spent $90 on an overrated dinner and still left starving. Enough said.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BonitaLanita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for a Saturday night in October. Billed as an uber-cool quaint and quirky hotel in reality this is a place badly in need of a dose of reality. I am not a snob and will put my head down anywhere and hardly ever complain - however I had a dreadful night due to an incredibly loud club/salsa bar and party crowd outside the hotel/underneath almost all the hotel windows, and due to an air conditioner that was broken on full freezing fan and dripping all over the bed. Now that I can excuse - units break, and why be in San Juan if not wanting a party noise?
In the morning I made the mistake of asking if there was any chance of a small discount off the (not cheap) room to reflect the poor night. The manageress stepped up and what followed from her is what I can only describe as a rude, venomous, unjustified and outrgaeous (verbal) attack on me for having the gall to ask for such a thing in a 'world famous hotel', the conversation finally ending when she held her hand up as if in front of my face and said 'enough, go away now, I'm not interested in you'.
A bad night, but have never been made to feel so out of order and ridiculous as I did after 'duelling' with her. I was polite and respectful at all times but that kind of poor customer service should be broadcast so others make an informed choice about whether to stay at this 'chic' hotel or find alternative accommodation. For information some of our party stayed at the Casablanca just around the corner and from their reports it is a far superior hotel in every way and they do a fabulous breakfast menu - Da House doesn't serve food.
Think twice about staying here, or stay when the manageress isn't on duty!

Room Tip: There are no quiet rooms and there are lots of stairs and no lift.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank 2013JBC
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights when we visited Puerto Rico. It is a clean, no frills boutique hotel in an ideal location. We were completely satisfied and weren't bothered by the noise from the club downstairs. The only drawback would be the stairs. Our room was on the top floor, and as there is no elevator, it was not fun to climb those stairs multiple times a day. At least I worked off my additional vacation calories!

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you don't like stairs, try to request a room on a lower floor.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed in room 205....literally on top of the club. Since I'm from New York City, I had absolutely no problem falling asleep. In fact, the two nights I was there, both nights I woke up at 2am because the music STOPPED!

The staff is VERY helpful and incredibly nice. On Friday night, they had an all you can drink mojitos on the roof deck...a welcome and nice way to kick off the weekend!

A group of us stayed there prior to our cruise. I checked in to my cruise early in the morning and still had time to go back to the hotel to take a shower. Literally a 10 to 15 min walk.

Please be aware that on this side of Old San Juan can appear a little sketchy. I walked down Calle San Francisco AWAY from San Cristobal forte and it was like walking in to a completely different town. Cleaner, nicer shops, more tourist friendly.

Pros: Comfy bed. Decent shower. Location. Very friendly staff. A couple of doors down from La Mallorca Cafe!

Cons: No closet/drawers (didn't even notice...but my roommate needed to hang linen slacks). Housekeeping ran VERY late (returned to the room around 4p in the afternoon and room still hadn't been straightened up. Fresh towels AND wash clothes came around 6p)
No elevator.....but I should put that as a PRO....you need the exercise after all the food you eat.
No TV (but I knew that going in)

If you are looking for a hotel with room service ,and turn down service....this isn't the place for you. Da House can be best described as a Hostel for adults. If you have to stay more than three days, don't stay here.....most people are there either before or after the cruise (which leaves at 10p on Sunday),

I would stay here again for sure you can't beat the price and the location!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the quieter it is.....but you have to schlep your stuff up there on our own too..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ahaynes122
Owings Mills, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Ok hubby and I stayed here for 1 night before our cruise. We read multiple reviews and in the end decided to stay here. We wanted to experience living in the old town. We quickly learned that this was not our type of hotel and I am going to just be honest and say I was not happy and would not stay again. The staff were amazing and really made the stay better. We were in room 203. When came to noise it didn't bother us. We went to bed around 12 and while we could hear the music from next door it wasn't loud enough to prevent our good rest. However the bed left a lot to be desired. It looked like a full and we sleep on a king at home so... No comfy at all, the spring were terrible. Also the room in general was crazy small. The shower as well. It was hard to brush our teeth or wash our face in the bathroom due to the door's position next to the sink. Due to the age of the hotel it just did not feel clean to me, although it definitely always smelled of cleaning products. Please bring shower shoes and your own wash cloth as they give towels in place of wash cloths. The location was great and we really were able to get around OSJ with no problem from the hotel. I also can't stress how awesome the staff were. I would definitely shop in the gift shop again but I can't recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Bring wash cloth shower shoes and review what they say about the music next door when choosing your...
4 Thank PrettyHazardous
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

No elevators, so you'll work off the calories from the great food that surrounds you. Unsolicited tip: Ask the hotel staff about where to eat or you'll spend $30-$40 a meal at the tourist spots, you won't regret it. Simply put, this had to be one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Not for the ammenities it had, but for the fact that I didn't miss for a second what they didn't have. (Da House) is a converted convent so the rooms are relatively small but the high ceilings hide that. There are no tv's so be prepared to leave your room and enjoy the city (everything in Old San Juan is within walking distance of the hotel so leave the taxis where they are.

Room Tip: Corner room on 3rd floor facing the church was quieter.
1 Thank Richard M
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Arrived just before midnight on a Friday night, was checked in quickly and as part of check-in process, was told where to find the remaining live music of the night!

This formed the basis of the weekend... really friendly staff who would help whenever they can (they also sorted out my early morning transfer to the airport).

I loved my room on the fourth floor with the antique Chinese furniture, its lack of TV and wifi. Water was hot, bed was comfortable and AC worked, that's all that was needed. Music from downstairs could be heard every night, but I guess you're not coming if you've a problem with that? For me, it was no louder than the traffic sounds at home and actually helped me get to sleep.

Brilliantly located.

Couldn't get much better for the price.

Room Tip: I was happy with my room on the top floor, directly above the neighbouring bar.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo