Da House Hotel
US$212
US$310
US$303
  • Pool
Tres Palmas Inn(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$140
Orbitz.com
US$368
US$354
  • Pool
CasaBlanca Hotel(San Juan)(Great Value!)
US$243
US$233
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnuyorican cafeno elevatorold san juanhot tub on the roofsalsa musicflights of stairslight sleeperfourth floornoisy at nightrooms are smallyour luggagetile floorsrooftop patioboutique hotelpuerto ricoa lot of noisefloor room
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The atmosphere of the hotel is very nice. Managers are so helpful in setting up excursions to the rain forest. The fort and just touring the city. It is in the bohemian style. Very stark but also clean. It is lively at night. There is a night club in the building and to sleep if you get a room on that side you will need ear plugs. There are no elevators so not for the faint of heart. If you have 3rd or 4th floor you will sleep fine. A nice bar and cafe is right next door.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the night spot are best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Booked a room for the night before boarding our cruise from San Juan. It was an interesting place and I really wanted to be able to give it a great review. We selected Da' House based on two factors: Location and Price. The Location was very good. It was in the heart of Old San Juan (where we wanted to be) and also close enough to the Cruise Terminal that we could carry our luggage down to the pier the next morning. The Price was also good, and I liked the fact that you can select your own room in advance, however, I failed to put sufficient weight on the description relating to "the party." (My bad!)

We stayed in Room 204 with a description of "Close to the Party" as opposed to others described as "Right above the Party." Let me say now, there is NO difference!

Not knowing what "the party" was or how much it would impact our stay, I was not too concerned since we would not be arriving until around midnight anyway. "The party" though continued well past 2 AM and was very loud. Impossible to block it out. The bed was not particularly comfortable either. I did eventually sleep though, but mostly from the exhaustion of working most of the day and then traveling until midnight.

If returning to San Juan under similar circumstances, I would probably consider staying at Da' House again, but would definitely select a room on the other side of the building away from the club next door.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the room descriptions! Rooms on the alley facing the nightclub next door are very loud.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 10-S-E-N
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was our second time back in OSJ and stayed 3 nights at Da House. First off, while this is a cool building with lots of art and character, it is not in any way a luxury hotel. There are no elevators, so if stairs are a problem, this place is not for you.

We had just returned from 5 days of laying on the beach in Vieques, and we were ready to get back to OSJ and trek around this cute town. Da House has a famous club below it with amazing live salsa every night. So if noise is an issue, this is not the place for you. But if you've got energy and are looking to stay up late and have a good time, the Da House may fit your bill.

The rates I believe are affordable at about $90 a night. One thing is the beds kinda suck and the pillows were super flat. I had to bend mine in half.

All the hotel employees we encountered were super awesome and helpful. We became buddies.

Lastly, food. These are the places you must eat:

Carthage Express - Affordable yummy breakfast, fresh smoothies and amazing middle eastern food. We went there at least 3 times.

Pirilo Rustica Pizza - Ate there 2 nights in a row! Yummy pizza, tons of beers, and its open super late!

El Jibarito - Delish Puerto Rican food. Good prices. The place always has lots of folks, which is a good sign.

Avoid that fancy looking Dragonfly restaurant. Aside from the ambiance (which is lovely), that place is a joke. We spent $90 on an overrated dinner and still left starving. Enough said.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BonitaLanita
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for a Saturday night in October. Billed as an uber-cool quaint and quirky hotel in reality this is a place badly in need of a dose of reality. I am not a snob and will put my head down anywhere and hardly ever complain - however I had a dreadful night due to an incredibly loud club/salsa bar and party crowd outside the hotel/underneath almost all the hotel windows, and due to an air conditioner that was broken on full freezing fan and dripping all over the bed. Now that I can excuse - units break, and why be in San Juan if not wanting a party noise?
In the morning I made the mistake of asking if there was any chance of a small discount off the (not cheap) room to reflect the poor night. The manageress stepped up and what followed from her is what I can only describe as a rude, venomous, unjustified and outrgaeous (verbal) attack on me for having the gall to ask for such a thing in a 'world famous hotel', the conversation finally ending when she held her hand up as if in front of my face and said 'enough, go away now, I'm not interested in you'.
A bad night, but have never been made to feel so out of order and ridiculous as I did after 'duelling' with her. I was polite and respectful at all times but that kind of poor customer service should be broadcast so others make an informed choice about whether to stay at this 'chic' hotel or find alternative accommodation. For information some of our party stayed at the Casablanca just around the corner and from their reports it is a far superior hotel in every way and they do a fabulous breakfast menu - Da House doesn't serve food.
Think twice about staying here, or stay when the manageress isn't on duty!

Room Tip: There are no quiet rooms and there are lots of stairs and no lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank 2013JBC
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights when we visited Puerto Rico. It is a clean, no frills boutique hotel in an ideal location. We were completely satisfied and weren't bothered by the noise from the club downstairs. The only drawback would be the stairs. Our room was on the top floor, and as there is no elevator, it was not fun to climb those stairs multiple times a day. At least I worked off my additional vacation calories!

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you don't like stairs, try to request a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple