“Chose for its location in Old San Juan”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Stayed prior to a Cruise, wanted to visit Old San Juan. Hotel location was excellent, we assumed normal amenities ie elevators, which there were none.. bellman, none, coffee in the morning, none, bedding change each day, none, towels changed, but had to ask. Very few staff were the same from day to day, courtesy was ok, but not really good customer service. The crowning rememberence of this establishment was the noise each evening that started about 10 pm and did not stop until sometimes 5 am in the morning. Incredible yelling and screaming, not just music and drum beats, just excited yelling of men and women... crazy... We had an epicenter room on the 4th floor. The office offered ear plugs... but we beat them to it because we had already purchased some. If you have the misfortune of staying in this establishment. take earplugs, have strong legs, go to the 4th floor and get either room 402 or 403 which look out on a balcony overlooking San Francisco St... much quiter.. And I will say God Bless you for your mistake for chosing this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trvlalot71

Reviewed 20 February 2009

I booked this hotel not even a week before our arrival in San Juan, and got the last room in the place. They called it the 'dressing room'. I was skeptical, wondering if it had a bed, a bathroom, or windows. It has all of the above (though the windows were interior windows, they let in light.) Our room was right smack in the middle of the lobby, and we could hear everyone coming and going, as well as hear (and feel) the beats from the Nuyorican club, just below/beside the hotel.

We still loved it. It grew on us, in fact. Unpretentious service, helpful staff when we had questions, very clean, bright, spare rooms, and wonderful artwork all around. The location was superb.

I'll stay here again when I make it back to San Juan.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We send two night at this hotel one before our cruise and one after the cruise. It was both horrible night.

When I made the reservation we ask fort quiet room and the quiet room was a nightmare. Both we didn't close our eyes for all night because of the bar near the hotel. It was the party all the night and there also have a little terrace in de street and all night you have the pepole yelling and talking and it's impossible to sleep. We was at the last floor (4) !!! Imagine the first and second floor. The personn at the hotel promise us that the sunday is very quiet and it wasn't true. After 3h AM tou hear the person closing the bar etc. So you can finaly try to sleep at 4h AM if nobody past in the street. Also, there is NO elevator and you have to be in very good shape to transport your luggage up to fourth floor. Also the mirror in the room is seem always frosty. No window in the room is window in wood so it dosn't help for the noise coming from outside. Some moisture in the shower.

I wil never go back againt it a promise!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mayabella
Reviewed 13 February 2009

We travel a lot, and roll with just about anything. Having said that, this hotel's rude staff and the legendary late night noise were unacceptable. This is a place where the customer is always wrong and the slackerish staff is indifferent at best and condescending at worst (and a couple could have used a shower). The room was not ready when we arrived at 4 pm, and we were told that was our fault, for being early (official check-in is, uh, 4 pm). We asked for a different room and were told that none was available. But in walking around the hotel, many rooms were open and available (and even made up!). The hotel itself is plain but decorated with interesting art, the rooms are small but adequate for the price. However, note well what others say about the noise: We were there on a TUESDAY (not usually a big party night), and the noise from the alley below was unavoidable until past 2 am. Don't ruin your trip to SJ!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ROThornhill
Reviewed 7 February 2009

There were some good and bad things about this hotel, but more good than bad.

Good:
1. Price - it was very reasonably priced, considering its location in the heart of Old San Juan.
2. Location - walking distace to everything in Old San Juan.
3. Decor - very artsy and tastefully decorated.
4. The staff offered to help us with our bags up the stairs, considering there were no lifts.
5. They provided 2 bottles of water in our room (I'm assuming they're free, but I did not drink them as I had my own water and was leaving for the airport anyway).
6. I'm not sure if they did away with the $10 charge to hold luggage as some previous guests had encountered, but we did not get charged (maybe the staff was too busy that he forgot to do so?).

Bad:
1. Having read about the noise issues with the outside rooms, I booked an inside room (409). I did not get any outside noise, but the noise from the 2nd floor lobby travelled, echoed, and was amplified all the way up to our room. We could distinctly hear people's chatter, and they did not keep it down with their outbursts of roaring laughter and what sounded like shouting. This disrupted my sleep for a little bit. This is my main complaint; the next 2 are not that bad.
2. The front desk is only attended by one person, which was obviously inadequate during peak times of checking in and checking out. The staff looked frazzled with the bombardment of customers. The wait was long to get anything done, but hey, if that keeps their costs down, I'll take it!
3. They make an imprint of your credit card upon checking in, in case you walk off with one of their expensive art pieces. This is perfectly fine and logical to me. However, they hand over the credit card imprint at check out for you to personally destroy before they've had the chance to check the rooms for missing art, which really defeats the purpose of the making a credit card imprint in the first place.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anacel
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We had read great reviews of Da House, so I inquired about reservations in Dec., 2008. Their main hotel was booked, so they booked us in their other location, the Caleta Guest House. We expected the same ambiance and experience that had been advertised for Da House, but we were sorely wrong. For $165 a night (we first checked in and paid at Da House) we found ourselves walking several blocks alone to our place, walking up 4 flights of stairs to find a large, but very sparsely decorated space. It was not a hotel room--it was like staying in an abandoned apartment. The bathroom was truly awful. Paint was falling apart, walls needed repair, there was no place to put items, etc. The kitchenette area was awful as well. The experience was not what we expected. Truthfully, it was a bit shocking, especially for the price we paid. I have never written a hotel review before but I felt very compelled to do so after this experience. Do not stay at Da House's alternative location: Caleta Guest House.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank StudioFive
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I have to agree w/the amount of noise that you'll hear at night. But since I knew it off hand after reading these reviews I knew what to expect and was not bothered at all. Great location, amazed by the look of the rooms (more than what I expected, in the heart of Old San Juan, great restaurants nearby, friendly staff, young crowd, walking distance to everything in town. Definitely not for the older crowd especially w/a disability as this is a walk up hotel w/out elevators. When renting a car, ask the staff to call you a rental car because its cheaper to go with them vs. the local more known rental places like Hertz, Avis etc., go with Charlies Rental Car.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wanderlust1979