“Beautiful! Just Beautiful!”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I read the reviews for Da House and now that I've been there I love everything that others said they loved. The staff was very friendly (they did hold our bags and made suggestions to restaraunts/airport/cabs/etc). The room was clean and simplistically beautiful. (The reviews said they didn't have cups or shampoo-so I brought some w/me) My husband and I loved the rooftop-such a beautiful view! After dinner and a few drinks we went to The Nuyorican Cafe to listen and dance to live Salsa music. A highlight of our trip! Leaving the club at 2am we were already at "da house" The music continued to pulsate while we watched the stars on the rooftop. Things were just settling down when we finally went to bed and it was very, very quiet until late in the morning. We spent the next day exploring the rest of Old San Juan and left the next day for Vieques.

1  Thank googoodoll

Reviewed 25 April 2009

We knew what we might be getting into with the Salsa Club noise down below; it did not bother us one bit; I actually liked it. It was very Caribbean, especially falling asleep to it. My boyfriend and I are in our Mid and Late twenties. We stayed here 1 night post cruise; we wish we'd stayed longer! We were in room 407; which was a long way to carry 4 heavy suitcases (no elevators), but we're in excellent shape, so while it did not bother us, it may be a problem for some. The room had a balcony shared with one other room, but we didn't use it; the jacuzzi is on the rooftop, not outside anyone's room. The art throught the hotel was beautiful; all local artists as well. The decor in general was awsome. I am not your "Holiday Inn" type of traveler; I actually will not stay in chain hotels because they offer no diversity. The bed was super comfortable, and it was nice not having a distracting tv in the room. The rooftop jacuzzi didn't get warm; the water was pretty cold; and that's my only complaint. We went in while the sun was still out, so the temp wasn't a problem then. It also changes colors at night, and when we wanted to go in after our late dinner, that's when we realized how cold the water was! The staff did not charge us to hold our bags (others claim they were charged), and we dropped them off at 9am and explored until 3pm. Checkout was fast and easy, and they even called us a cab. There were 2 great resturants on each end of the alley (yes, the hotel is in an alley). One was Asada Grill ( I believe) directly outside the hotel's front door; we ate lunch there, it was delish, the skirt steak and shrimp is the way to go (about $50 with mojitos, for lunch)...and at the other end, Marmalade. The food at Marmalade was pricy (about $225 for the two of us, without alcohol), but it was worth every penny...their service is another story (horrible), but I think it was pretty much because we had a bad waitress. I WILL most definetly be staying at Da House on my future visits to San Juan because of the great location (3 block WALK, with HEAVY LUGGAGE from the cruise ships...not too bad), also it's in the middle of Old San Juan. It's near nightlife, and great food, the staff was very friendly, and the prices were so much cheaper than other hotels in the area! If you don't mind a little noise, and walking up a lot of stairs, you've found yourself a winner.

1  Thank chigirl000
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Me and my girflriend, in our mid 20's, stayed here for two nights. I had done my research before hand and new what to expect and the guy at the front desk also informed us of the noise that would be going on at night. However we loved being close to the nightlife and enjoyed the ambiance of the club and this hotel. Roof top was a great place to go to and relax. Location of this place is awsome you can easily walk to all of the great places in old san juan, and the price is very reasonable. Dont go here expecting to spend a lot of time in your room, this is not the place for you. This is a great place for those who are looking for a great value and a great location, def geared for a younger crowd. Would def go back here. Wouldnt probably stay though more than 2 nights as the rooms are relatively small and can get cramped with luggage and anything else.

2  Thank simonie83
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We arrived at Da House Hotel around 1:30 a.m. on a Saturday night. So the salsa club next door was in full swing when we got there, and were greeted by a friendly crowd of "clubbers". The guy at front desk said the club is usually open till 4 or 5 in the morning. Being a light sleeper we had chosen room 401 (Carlos Irizarry), and it was not noisy at all. I could lightly hear the beat of the music but I didn't even need my earplugs.
The room was great. Nicely decorated, a/c, and comfy bed. Great value for what we paid in the heart of Old San Juan. We would definitely stay here again. We stayed here precruise and they held our bags for us for the day ($5) while we explored Old San Juan. It was an easy 5-10 minute walk with our luggage to the cruise terminal. The only downside of our stay here was the rooftop hot tub wasn't working, but beautiful views from up there; there was no shampoo/conditioner for the shower - just a bar of soap; and the hall was a little noisy outside of our room in the morning. Which I guess is to be expected with tile floors and high ceilings for sound to travel off of; and the 4 flights of stairs can either be seen as a bother or a workout! All in all it was a great stay. We loved it!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunbeam_girl
Reviewed 6 April 2009

The Good
Bed was very comfortable. Small room (#304 Manolo Diaz), tight bathroom, but functional.
Easy foot access to all of Old San Juan.
Great restaurants mere blocks away.
They held our bags for free until our room was ready when we arrived.
Cheaper than many other places.

The Bad
Not terribly clean.
A/C had two settings: frigid and off!
Unbelievable noise! We didn’t go to Old San Juan to hear two nights of Techno noise/music. Partying, yelling, cursing (and at least 1 fight) started around 7PM, and continued to 4 AM. Some drunken girl was practicing her F-curses above the din for 30-60 minutes the first night in the early hours of the morning. Then the clean-up guys banged chairs and tables out in the alley until 4:30. Peace and quiet until 6AM, when someone fired up a pressure washer to clean (various liquid substances from the night before?) from the alley. When we asked for a different room for the second night, they said they were all booked up, and gave us earplugs.
One floor walk-up to the lobby, and then one or more floors to the rooms. If you plan to stay there prior to a cruise as we did, think about humping all your suitcases up and down by yourselves.

The Ugly
Upon check-in, the guy behind the counter took our information, including credit card, but then wanted us to sign a completely blank credit card receipt. He explained that, since Da Hotel fancies themselves as part hotel, part art gallery, they wanted something for security, should a guest choose to steal or deface the “art” in the room. Upon check-out, after inspecting the room, they would tear up the blank card pressing. I offered to sign if they wrote down something like “$250 refundable damage deposit”, but he refused. As we were getting ready to walk out, he said that there was another alternative. We could leave one of our passports in the hotel safe. Since this is a standard practice in Europe, we agreed. At the end, we had about 1 hour between check-out time and the time we needed to get a cab to our cruise ship. They insisted on $5.00 to hold our bags for that time, which we had no choice but to pay. P.S.: They never checked the room before returning my passport.

Despite the comments about noise, we chose Da House for its location and price. We decided to take a chance after another traveler on TripAdvisor commented that the music was loud, but he liked it. We were anticipating Caribbean music, but boy were we wrong! Try putting on some Techno music with the pulsing bass for one night at home until 4:30, and see whether you can sleep. If you can, and can live with the other issues above, or want to be one of the drunks making noise outside the windows, this might be your kind of place. Oh, and the art? My wife is a professional artist. Neither she nor I were impressed with anything we saw anywhere in Da House. I’ve posted a couple pictures of the priceless treasures in our room. You know, the ones that would have required our signing a blank credit card receipt!

Two restaurants in the area bear mentioning. Around the block from Da House is Café San Juan. Try the Mofongo for lunch. Also, just around the corner is a little bakery/coffee shop, the Mallorca Café. They make a wonderful breakfast sandwich (called a “Mallorca”) on a sweet roll that is out of this world.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank russknan
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Nothing could convey our excitement as my girlfriends and I walked into this hotel. The posh check in area, the no frills, super friendly attitude of the staff. Everything was perfect. We arrived very early, before the rooms were ready, and we were able to store our luggage and change in a room that was not being used - we came from New England in jeans and sweaters! When we came back to head to our rooms. One word. Speachless! They were stunning! Minimalist, but beautifully decorated and apointed with local art.

The rooftop deck and hot tub was a total bonus, I only wish we were able to use it more than we had time to! It was great for a morning sun and wake up.

We had an excellent stay. However, I do digress as I personally had a rough time sleeping due to the night club outside, but we knew this going into it, so no big deal. Nothing a little rum and some ear plugs couldn't cure!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank KrysyGT
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We stayed at La Caleta Guesthouse, owned & operated by Da House. The location is absolutely fabulous, down the street from El Convento on caleta de las monjas, in a quarter of OSJ that is charming, historic, quiet & really, really beautiful. Our rooms/apt(#16, not all the rooms are ready yet) was 3 flights up, with a balcony that overlooked a cobblestone street, beautiful colonial homes, a tiny park with swaying trees, a monument, & an expansive view of the bays which was a stones throw away. The building itself is lovely & when fixed up will be a gem. However, the building is, (and we were informed of this), a work in progress. It did not bother us that the stairs were stripped of carpet or that they were paint stained, or that the air/light well space of the bldg's interior area was filled with hanging wires & wood & stucco in disrepair. What was difficult was the lack of any onsite person, & with no phones (our cells were inoperative) when something was a problem (the AC dripped water, there was no working electric outlet for a lamp next to the bed, there was no light in the closet, we needed another pillow etc), we had to go to da house to talk with someone. The price was amazing for the location & space (a bedroom w/ a queen bed, a bathroom, a tiny & really not developed or equipped enough kitchen to do much beyond make tea, and a living room/dining area with that amazing balcony. We worked around the problems, we slept on a double futon couch in the living room to avoid the dripping AC, & we spent a lot of time enjoying our balcony view. Once finished & fully functioning (with staff etc) this place will probably cost a fortune. Would i recommend this place? Yes, provided you know what the current limitations are. And of course, in time i am sure, given how artful & well run Da House is, this place will be amazing.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple