“TOO Noisy!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Ontario
“TOO Noisy!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

This hotel is close to the port, in central old san juan, basic but it did have all we needed.....or so we thought!
We were very tired from a very early flight and we are not light sleepers. I have had rooms at resorts very near to the disco's before and have not had problems. I once slept though my husband jack-hammering cement during renovations. So you get my point. To give the hotel the benefit of doubt--it was a Saturday night and there was a food festival on.
We could not sleep at all at this place--the music pumped until 0430. Our room (312) was listed as "interior room, mostly quiet"...but it was far from quiet.
I would never stay here again--if you can't sleep any other benefits are irrelevant.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank boowaaccaa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

We loved our stay at Da House.! We stayed there pre-cruise last March. I'm so glad that we did because we didn't have much time in San Juan and Da House is near everything. We arrived at the hotel, carried our suitcases up one flight of stairs. We checked the big suitcases at the desk and took the carry-on up to our room on the fourth floor. Music was everywhere! We walked around the corner to Marmelade Restaurant and Bar. I should have dressed up more.
The desk gave me some earplugs for sleeping but we didn't need them. Our room had a patio and was across the street from San Franciscan Church. The next morning we walked the other way around the corner and found a great coffee shop serving breakfast. Next we found a free trolley/bus that stops at landmarks. We caught it near the port. I'm ready to go back!

I've also visited El Juenge National Forest in a small tour bus. That was a great adventure also.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
new2travel09
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

I stayed here for a few days and loved everything about it. Room was very clean and staff helpful. I stayed on the street side and loved listening to music from my room while getting dressed. It was noisy and was able to sleep late every day. I also enjoyed the rooftop. I was able to relax and grab some sun.
Price was great and really able to walk everywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank new2travel09
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

The staff at Da Haus were very accommodating and made our trip easier. The place has character, not some boring motel. It's clean and located right downtown. Very convenient for walking around Old San Juan. No car required. On the other hand being in the middle of everything means noise from the street, so bring ear plugs. We reserved one of the smaller rooms and it was one of the more affordable options in Old San Juan.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

This hotel is AMAZING and possibly one of the cutest boutique hotels I have stayed at in my life. The location couldn't be better - it is walkable to everything in San Juan. A five minute walk (or less) to everything you need including Walgreens, Marhshalls, a supermarket, all the restaurants and bars of Old San Juan, plus the tourist stuff like San Cristobal and El Morro.

The rooms are so beautiful and unique and have so much character. We had room 303 - Silvia Khan and it was just the right size for me and my partner. The bathroom was a little bit on the small side, but not uncomfortably so. Cute modern sink in the bathroom. Our bed was full size but comfortable for two people. I loved the original traditional tile floor of the room and all the artwork on the walls. We had a cute window balcony that opened onto San Francisco street which allowed for a nice view and people watching.

We did not experience any problems with noise (probably because our room was not over the alley where Nuyorican Cafe is) - maybe some mild street noise, but we are young and heavy sleepers so it wasn't even noticable to me and definitely did not bother me.

The hotel it self is gorgeous, with a marble staircase, beautifully decorated lobby, and an awesome little (would fit 2-4 person) jacuzzi on the roof. I don't think many people know about it so when we went up one morning we had it all to ourselves. Also the lobby has a computer for guest use, just one and the screen is a flat tv style screen on the wall so people can see what you are doing, but we were glad they had it because we needed to look up rental cars.

Check in and check out were a breeze, the staff was nice. Now it is no frills in terms of no pool, gym, restaurant, room service, or tv, so expect that, but it is not a resort...but it is a perfect base for exploring cultural stuff and restaurants/bars of Old San Juan. I still can't believe we found the hotel for $90 a night....it is easily worth double that. Location, style, everything was an A+++, I highly reccomend this place and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monika992
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

We spent two nights at DaHouse before we headed off to USVI in late August. As we only stayed at San Juan for two days, its great location (in the center of old SJ) provided us with great access to the “must see” areas and restaurants. We stayed in one of its interior room, rm 301 I believe, the window not facing to the club, which is why the noise was totally acceptable for us during the evening. I don’t know why there is a belief that the higher the level of the room, the less the noise. Actually it’s the opposite! Plus there was no elevator in the building, so the interior room in the lower level I would say would be highly recommended.

All in all, great price, great location, clean room with acceptable noise!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

My husband and I absolutely loved this hotel. It's gorgeous with it's floors and artwork. We never dreamed we'd be able to stay in a boutique-like hotel, but with it being so affordable we hopped at the chance. We were not disappointed.

It's very centralized in Old San Juan, within walking distance of everything. La Bombonera and Cafe Mallorca are a few steps away. In addition there's a Supermax (grocery) and Walgreens only a couple blocks away too.

The staff was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

As with all older buildings there are quirks. For instance, we had an issue with having hot water in our room one of the nights. We were offered multiple choices of rooms and jumped at the chance to check them all out. Ultimately our stay was split between room 303 and 406. Each room had it's advantages. I loved 303 for the ability to look out over the street. 406 looked out over the alley but the room was larger in size. Being able to open the wooden doors/windows to the streets, listening the the "buzz" outside was awesome.

The hotel is secure and you must buzz in everytime you arrive. This isn't a problem because there is a staff member 24 hours ready to buzz you in.

Reading the reviews we were concerned about noise. Yes, there is noise and the loudness varies from day to day depending on the activities happening around the hotel. However, we had no problems sleeping. If it's a huge concern I'd recommend using earplugs or turning on the bathroom fan, which would help drown out the noise if need be.

The Nuyorican Cafe is in the same building and you can catch some Improv, Salsa music, or rock music, depending on the day of week. Sometimes there's a cover, other days there isn't. And if there is a cover, it's $5. The Nuyorican allowed us to go out without having to go far and we felt safe and secure given we were next door to our hotel. In addition we saw 98% locals dancing the night away.

A few more notes: There's free internet hookup in the rooms along with a computer in the lobby if need. Be aware there are no televisions and the only thing they supply are bath towels and bar soap.

Looking back on our stay we couldn't have been happier. My husband and I brought up many times the "what if we had stayed somewhere else?" question. If we would've stayed elsewhere we would have been highly disappointed. Da House allowed us to feel part of San Juan and not just a tourist staying at a typical hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple