“Too noisy”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My friends and I (eight of us) stayed here for two nights on the second floor. We got three rooms and two of the rooms have windows that overlook the street. Those two rooms have extremely poor sound insulation as the noise and music from the salsa bar directly downstairs and the street outside was easily heard late into the wee hours of the morning. However, the staff is helpful and friendly and the place is nicely furnished. I'd stay in the inside rooms further upstairs if I were to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank teohwp85

Reviewed 24 December 2009

I spent around seven nights at Da House, old San Juan, in December 2009 with my girlfriend. We're both in our late twenties with no children. This place is, adjusted for price, fantastic! Rooms are small, but clean and neat. Location is a bit noisy (pick the more quite rooms if you're sensitive), but very charming. The staff is incredibly helpful and nice. Simply loved my stay. And old San Juan is absolutely beautiful.

I wouldn't give Da House 5 stars however as there are some minor drawbacks. Water pressure is very weak, so showers are not really enjoyable. The hotel charges $5 for holding your luggage a couple of hours after you've checked out (a service that is always included for free at all other hotels). And then there is the noise.

If you're like us, young and without any kids, don't think about staying anywhere else if you're going to old San Juan. And don't think about staying at any other place than old San Juan if you're going to San Juan!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2009

This hotel is close to the port, in central old san juan, basic but it did have all we needed.....or so we thought!
We were very tired from a very early flight and we are not light sleepers. I have had rooms at resorts very near to the disco's before and have not had problems. I once slept though my husband jack-hammering cement during renovations. So you get my point. To give the hotel the benefit of doubt--it was a Saturday night and there was a food festival on.
We could not sleep at all at this place--the music pumped until 0430. Our room (312) was listed as "interior room, mostly quiet"...but it was far from quiet.
I would never stay here again--if you can't sleep any other benefits are irrelevant.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boowaaccaa
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We loved our stay at Da House.! We stayed there pre-cruise last March. I'm so glad that we did because we didn't have much time in San Juan and Da House is near everything. We arrived at the hotel, carried our suitcases up one flight of stairs. We checked the big suitcases at the desk and took the carry-on up to our room on the fourth floor. Music was everywhere! We walked around the corner to Marmelade Restaurant and Bar. I should have dressed up more.
The desk gave me some earplugs for sleeping but we didn't need them. Our room had a patio and was across the street from San Franciscan Church. The next morning we walked the other way around the corner and found a great coffee shop serving breakfast. Next we found a free trolley/bus that stops at landmarks. We caught it near the port. I'm ready to go back!

I've also visited El Juenge National Forest in a small tour bus. That was a great adventure also.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I stayed here for a few days and loved everything about it. Room was very clean and staff helpful. I stayed on the street side and loved listening to music from my room while getting dressed. It was noisy and was able to sleep late every day. I also enjoyed the rooftop. I was able to relax and grab some sun.
Price was great and really able to walk everywhere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank new2travel09
Reviewed 24 October 2009

The staff at Da Haus were very accommodating and made our trip easier. The place has character, not some boring motel. It's clean and located right downtown. Very convenient for walking around Old San Juan. No car required. On the other hand being in the middle of everything means noise from the street, so bring ear plugs. We reserved one of the smaller rooms and it was one of the more affordable options in Old San Juan.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2009

This hotel is AMAZING and possibly one of the cutest boutique hotels I have stayed at in my life. The location couldn't be better - it is walkable to everything in San Juan. A five minute walk (or less) to everything you need including Walgreens, Marhshalls, a supermarket, all the restaurants and bars of Old San Juan, plus the tourist stuff like San Cristobal and El Morro.

The rooms are so beautiful and unique and have so much character. We had room 303 - Silvia Khan and it was just the right size for me and my partner. The bathroom was a little bit on the small side, but not uncomfortably so. Cute modern sink in the bathroom. Our bed was full size but comfortable for two people. I loved the original traditional tile floor of the room and all the artwork on the walls. We had a cute window balcony that opened onto San Francisco street which allowed for a nice view and people watching.

We did not experience any problems with noise (probably because our room was not over the alley where Nuyorican Cafe is) - maybe some mild street noise, but we are young and heavy sleepers so it wasn't even noticable to me and definitely did not bother me.

The hotel it self is gorgeous, with a marble staircase, beautifully decorated lobby, and an awesome little (would fit 2-4 person) jacuzzi on the roof. I don't think many people know about it so when we went up one morning we had it all to ourselves. Also the lobby has a computer for guest use, just one and the screen is a flat tv style screen on the wall so people can see what you are doing, but we were glad they had it because we needed to look up rental cars.

Check in and check out were a breeze, the staff was nice. Now it is no frills in terms of no pool, gym, restaurant, room service, or tv, so expect that, but it is not a resort...but it is a perfect base for exploring cultural stuff and restaurants/bars of Old San Juan. I still can't believe we found the hotel for $90 a night....it is easily worth double that. Location, style, everything was an A+++, I highly reccomend this place and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple