“Loud, very loud.”

Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Texas
“Loud, very loud.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

Clean but club next door is very loud until about 4am. Bring toilet paper as they do not provide any if you run out. Staff is detached at best. No elevator so if you are out of shape stay at the Sheraton. Watch out for small transitions in floors. Two people fell while we were there, one sprained an ankle.

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — noise at night
  • Stayed December 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Lash99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
tacoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

Da House is in a great location in Old San Juan and has clean, pleasant rooms with tile floors. There is a hot tub on the roof and a helpful front desk staff. However the noise issue often discussed here is real. We stayed in room 408 and still had problems with earplugs. If noise is a concern of yours, I don't think I would stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Archivist1
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

My friends and I (eight of us) stayed here for two nights on the second floor. We got three rooms and two of the rooms have windows that overlook the street. Those two rooms have extremely poor sound insulation as the noise and music from the salsa bar directly downstairs and the street outside was easily heard late into the wee hours of the morning. However, the staff is helpful and friendly and the place is nicely furnished. I'd stay in the inside rooms further upstairs if I were to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank teohwp85
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2009

I spent around seven nights at Da House, old San Juan, in December 2009 with my girlfriend. We're both in our late twenties with no children. This place is, adjusted for price, fantastic! Rooms are small, but clean and neat. Location is a bit noisy (pick the more quite rooms if you're sensitive), but very charming. The staff is incredibly helpful and nice. Simply loved my stay. And old San Juan is absolutely beautiful.

I wouldn't give Da House 5 stars however as there are some minor drawbacks. Water pressure is very weak, so showers are not really enjoyable. The hotel charges $5 for holding your luggage a couple of hours after you've checked out (a service that is always included for free at all other hotels). And then there is the noise.

If you're like us, young and without any kids, don't think about staying anywhere else if you're going to old San Juan. And don't think about staying at any other place than old San Juan if you're going to San Juan!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

This hotel is close to the port, in central old san juan, basic but it did have all we needed.....or so we thought!
We were very tired from a very early flight and we are not light sleepers. I have had rooms at resorts very near to the disco's before and have not had problems. I once slept though my husband jack-hammering cement during renovations. So you get my point. To give the hotel the benefit of doubt--it was a Saturday night and there was a food festival on.
We could not sleep at all at this place--the music pumped until 0430. Our room (312) was listed as "interior room, mostly quiet"...but it was far from quiet.
I would never stay here again--if you can't sleep any other benefits are irrelevant.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boowaaccaa
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

We loved our stay at Da House.! We stayed there pre-cruise last March. I'm so glad that we did because we didn't have much time in San Juan and Da House is near everything. We arrived at the hotel, carried our suitcases up one flight of stairs. We checked the big suitcases at the desk and took the carry-on up to our room on the fourth floor. Music was everywhere! We walked around the corner to Marmelade Restaurant and Bar. I should have dressed up more.
The desk gave me some earplugs for sleeping but we didn't need them. Our room had a patio and was across the street from San Franciscan Church. The next morning we walked the other way around the corner and found a great coffee shop serving breakfast. Next we found a free trolley/bus that stops at landmarks. We caught it near the port. I'm ready to go back!

I've also visited El Juenge National Forest in a small tour bus. That was a great adventure also.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
new2travel09
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

I stayed here for a few days and loved everything about it. Room was very clean and staff helpful. I stayed on the street side and loved listening to music from my room while getting dressed. It was noisy and was able to sleep late every day. I also enjoyed the rooftop. I was able to relax and grab some sun.
Price was great and really able to walk everywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo