“Sparse, but cool”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We only stayed here one night a room on San Franciso St. The artwork is very cool and the decor is modern, but comfortable. For only 90 dollars a night including tax, I thought Da House was an incredible deal and a unique place that my wife and I will never forget. The location is also outstanding....right in the middle of Old San Juan. We could walk anywhere we wanted in 10 min. Check out the Coach Factory store on the way to the fort!! Cafe Puerto rico is also very good on Plaza de Colon.

Do not leave without visiting the rooftop terrace with Jaczuzzi overlooking the Old City....very cool. In fact, this place is way more cool than me. I felt like I needed to be reading a Jack Kerouac book while I was there.

The staff is as helpful as you need them to be without going out of their way. There are a lot of stairs, so I wouldn't recommend to elderly or handicapped guests.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 February 2010

It's good, because it's in the heart of old San Juan near good restaurants and walking distance to all the major attractions in old San Juan. The hotel is bare basics, no services (food beverages, ice, TV, radio ext. but it's clean and comfortable. Some noise from the music and partying on the ground floor club.

One drawback "no elevator" . If your on the forth floor..it's a hike with baggage!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The last two times I stayed at Da House Hotel I could not take a shower! The first time I complained and the management said the hot water worked. The last time I stayed,there was no water pressure and when i complained the desk clerk said, "oh the plumbing doesn't work right on that floor". I wrote a complaint to the owners who never responded and when I protested my credit card bill, I was told that since the amount had already been charged "there was nothing they could do about it". Since you are required to give your c.c. imprint, there is nothing you can do to protest shoddy service. This used to be a good hotel when it first opened, but the last two times I stayed there it had obviously slipped--rooftop jacuzzi it advertises never works either (a minor point). This led to me finding another place on my R/T trip through VSJ--which was quieter cheaper and the hot water worked fine!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ProWriter
Reviewed 6 February 2010

I stayed at Da House for one night with my boyfriend and 4 of our friends. We really liked this hotel! I have a hard time understanding why someone who needs a hotel with many amenities would book a very inexpensive hotel in an old city without thoroughly researching it. If you are considering staying at Da House, read a number of the reviews here on Trip Advisor and you should be able to easily tell if this hotel is for you. It is certainly not for everyone, but for less than half the cost of many other rooms in the city, it can be a great choice!

LOCATION: The location of the hotel is great...it is close to many, many great bars and restaurants and popular sites such as the forts. We stayed out late and did not feel unsafe in the area at all.

ROOMS: The rooms were clean and comfortable. They were not especially large, but were more than adequate for our needs and what I would expect staying in a city hotel. We also enjoyed the art by local artists. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no shampoo, lotion, etc. in the bathrooms, so you'll have to bring that with you or purchase it at the many stores in the area around the hotel. There is definitely noise at night, but at least in our room (304) it was about the same level as if someone had a tv on which I can fall asleep to...especially after a long day of walking around the city!

HOTEL STAFF: The staff were friendly and helpful. They had no issue holding our bags until check in with no charge and called cabs for us to take us to the airport after checkout so we wouldn't have to wait on the street. Check in and check out were quick and painless.

GENERAL HOTEL: As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no elevator and no bell boy so you'll have to bring your luggage up the stairs yourself. As we travel light, this was not a problem for us at all. We enjoyed the rooftop area. It is open 24 hours and the hotel staff told us that we could bring any beer, wine, etc. up there to enjoy. The jacuzzi is just a jacuzzi, not a hot tub, so it's a little chilly to use late at night.

Overall, this hotel is clean, comfortable and in a great location in Old San Juan. If you're looking just for a clean, convenient, reasonably priced place to sleep each night, then this is definitely the hotel for you. If you are looking for room service and someone to carry your luggage, then you will need to spend more money and stay somewhere else. We don't need any extras in a hotel, so for us, Da House was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2010

This has been the worst hotel we have ever stayed in till today. we travel regularly and have been living in 2 star to 5 star hotels. This is the first time we did not get any sleep. The only reason we chose this hotel was beacuse it is in Old san Juan very close to our cruise pier.

First of all, there is no elevator!
The reception is on first floor (almost 2 modern floors due to long ancient staircases). We had to carry our heavy luggages ourselves.
The receptionist were not so helpful.
There is no restaurant. So no breakfast. The streets are scarry in the night especially if you eat late.
The worst of all .... there was loud music playing all night long. We heard loud music, people using abusive language on the streets below, screams, ambulance sirens, etc, etc. all night long. We could not sleep at all.
When we were in the room, in the evening, somebody suddenly entered in the room. (probably some other guest). When we contacted the receptionist, she did not even apologise and stated that the other receptionist might have given our room key to someone else by mistake... ridiculous.
All the furniture was very rickety.
bathroom was too small.
And they told us there is jacuzzi on the terrace... it was a small tub with full of sand and dirt inside.. unbelievable.. i do not understand how they can even tell the guests to use this jacuzzi.
And for all this ..... around 100 $....DISGUSTING

PLEASE AVOID USING THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ramkamat
Reviewed 26 January 2010

The location was very good and the room kind of cute. But the noise was terrible even with good earplugs. There were not any drinking glasses in the room, let alone shampoo in the bathroom. We asked the desk for ice--and they recommended we go to the supermarket to get some. We asked for a wine opener and they couldn't even find one to loan us. They also charged $5 to store our bags for a couple of hours. I definitely would not recommend Da House.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingtwo-3
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I found Da House on TripAdivsor when doing research for my trip to Puerto Rico. The majority of the reviewers seemed to be very pleased, and based on the very affordable rates, my boyfriend and I booked the hotel. Being young and on a rather tight budget, we were not disappointed. We were smack dab in the middle of Old San Juan; which is, without a doubt, where you want to stay.

No transportation is needed from this hotel. You are literally walking distance away from charming shops and wonderful restaurants. The hotel itself was very nicely decorated, with a plethra of local art displayed. The style, although fairly sophisticated and "bohemian", was a bit cold for my taste. The floors are all a very practical, visually appealing, but not so comfortable, tile. The furniture was more for display than lounging. It was truly a place to sleep and not much else--this worked out well for us, but not for the traveler who enjoys their lounge time.

The real issue was the leak coming from the shower, which caused a very unpleasant mold odor. We did our best to air the room out, but there wasn't much circulation considering how open everything is. Upon checkout, we informed a young man at the desk. Somehow, I doubt any action was taken towards repairs, based on his look of disinterest.

When it came down to it, the bed was doable (no back or neck aches), the staff was friendly and fairly helpful (check-in/out was a breeze), the price was extremely reasonable, and the location was aces.

While you're there, visit the restaurant (sorry, forgot the name) across the street from Da House. They make a Pina Colada topped with Bailey's that will make you say "Mas, MUCHO Mas!"

For future reference, our room was 312, Heriberto Gonzalez.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple