“Stay here only if you DON'T require sleep! NOISY!!!!!”
Review of Da House Hotel

Da House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 8 March 2010

GOOD: The rooms were clean and attractive.

BAD: It's located near bars/clubs and the music, noise from the street of people in the clubs and OMG the MUSIC PUMPED THROUGH OUR ROOM like we were right in the bar itself! INCREDIBLY NOISY....stayed for two nights, abdandoned our last night there (yes, charged a penalty of $100...they really could give a crap about their guests) because WE NEEDED TO ACTUALLY SLEEP!

WISH they would've been HONEST with their guests on their website about it being centrally located in the center of 'the party' and honest with it being as noisy as it was. If I were going to Old San Juan with a group of friends and planned to be out drinking all night long, it wouldn't have mattered. That would be the only reason to stay there!

PARKING: DON'T, DON'T rent a car and think you'll park it anywhere close! The one lot was almost $50 per night. We did find a lot down near the Coast Guard Station near the water that was only 3 or 4 dollars over night. About a 10 minute walk, but well worth it.

I would recommend the Marriott in Old San Juan if you really want to experience an otherwise charming small town.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KimyBO

Reviewed 26 February 2010

If you want a successful stay in Old San Juan, just stay here. Easy, inexpensive, and TOTALLY GORGEOUS. The place is super chic, the rooms are beautiful, the staff is helpful, and the cost is VERY reasonable for the location. It is in the heart of Old San Juan, near shopping and restaurants (go to La Madre, right across the street. Another perfect spot!) My only advice would be this: it can be VERY LOUD at night, ALL through the night (trash trucks, cars, people) so if that might bother you, choose an interior room or one NOT on the main road/corner. Even with a pretty sleepless night, I would highly recommend this place. When people find out you are staying at Da House, you get big smiles and everyone knows how neat it is. The location couldn't be better.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bellabella1028
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We only stayed here one night a room on San Franciso St. The artwork is very cool and the decor is modern, but comfortable. For only 90 dollars a night including tax, I thought Da House was an incredible deal and a unique place that my wife and I will never forget. The location is also outstanding....right in the middle of Old San Juan. We could walk anywhere we wanted in 10 min. Check out the Coach Factory store on the way to the fort!! Cafe Puerto rico is also very good on Plaza de Colon.

Do not leave without visiting the rooftop terrace with Jaczuzzi overlooking the Old City....very cool. In fact, this place is way more cool than me. I felt like I needed to be reading a Jack Kerouac book while I was there.

The staff is as helpful as you need them to be without going out of their way. There are a lot of stairs, so I wouldn't recommend to elderly or handicapped guests.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2010

It's good, because it's in the heart of old San Juan near good restaurants and walking distance to all the major attractions in old San Juan. The hotel is bare basics, no services (food beverages, ice, TV, radio ext. but it's clean and comfortable. Some noise from the music and partying on the ground floor club.

One drawback "no elevator" . If your on the forth floor..it's a hike with baggage!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The last two times I stayed at Da House Hotel I could not take a shower! The first time I complained and the management said the hot water worked. The last time I stayed,there was no water pressure and when i complained the desk clerk said, "oh the plumbing doesn't work right on that floor". I wrote a complaint to the owners who never responded and when I protested my credit card bill, I was told that since the amount had already been charged "there was nothing they could do about it". Since you are required to give your c.c. imprint, there is nothing you can do to protest shoddy service. This used to be a good hotel when it first opened, but the last two times I stayed there it had obviously slipped--rooftop jacuzzi it advertises never works either (a minor point). This led to me finding another place on my R/T trip through VSJ--which was quieter cheaper and the hot water worked fine!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ProWriter
Reviewed 6 February 2010

I stayed at Da House for one night with my boyfriend and 4 of our friends. We really liked this hotel! I have a hard time understanding why someone who needs a hotel with many amenities would book a very inexpensive hotel in an old city without thoroughly researching it. If you are considering staying at Da House, read a number of the reviews here on Trip Advisor and you should be able to easily tell if this hotel is for you. It is certainly not for everyone, but for less than half the cost of many other rooms in the city, it can be a great choice!

LOCATION: The location of the hotel is great...it is close to many, many great bars and restaurants and popular sites such as the forts. We stayed out late and did not feel unsafe in the area at all.

ROOMS: The rooms were clean and comfortable. They were not especially large, but were more than adequate for our needs and what I would expect staying in a city hotel. We also enjoyed the art by local artists. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no shampoo, lotion, etc. in the bathrooms, so you'll have to bring that with you or purchase it at the many stores in the area around the hotel. There is definitely noise at night, but at least in our room (304) it was about the same level as if someone had a tv on which I can fall asleep to...especially after a long day of walking around the city!

HOTEL STAFF: The staff were friendly and helpful. They had no issue holding our bags until check in with no charge and called cabs for us to take us to the airport after checkout so we wouldn't have to wait on the street. Check in and check out were quick and painless.

GENERAL HOTEL: As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no elevator and no bell boy so you'll have to bring your luggage up the stairs yourself. As we travel light, this was not a problem for us at all. We enjoyed the rooftop area. It is open 24 hours and the hotel staff told us that we could bring any beer, wine, etc. up there to enjoy. The jacuzzi is just a jacuzzi, not a hot tub, so it's a little chilly to use late at night.

Overall, this hotel is clean, comfortable and in a great location in Old San Juan. If you're looking just for a clean, convenient, reasonably priced place to sleep each night, then this is definitely the hotel for you. If you are looking for room service and someone to carry your luggage, then you will need to spend more money and stay somewhere else. We don't need any extras in a hotel, so for us, Da House was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2010

This has been the worst hotel we have ever stayed in till today. we travel regularly and have been living in 2 star to 5 star hotels. This is the first time we did not get any sleep. The only reason we chose this hotel was beacuse it is in Old san Juan very close to our cruise pier.

First of all, there is no elevator!
The reception is on first floor (almost 2 modern floors due to long ancient staircases). We had to carry our heavy luggages ourselves.
The receptionist were not so helpful.
There is no restaurant. So no breakfast. The streets are scarry in the night especially if you eat late.
The worst of all .... there was loud music playing all night long. We heard loud music, people using abusive language on the streets below, screams, ambulance sirens, etc, etc. all night long. We could not sleep at all.
When we were in the room, in the evening, somebody suddenly entered in the room. (probably some other guest). When we contacted the receptionist, she did not even apologise and stated that the other receptionist might have given our room key to someone else by mistake... ridiculous.
All the furniture was very rickety.
bathroom was too small.
And they told us there is jacuzzi on the terrace... it was a small tub with full of sand and dirt inside.. unbelievable.. i do not understand how they can even tell the guests to use this jacuzzi.
And for all this ..... around 100 $....DISGUSTING