“Great stay, perfect for a true experience”
Review of Posada Colonial

Posada Colonial
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the front upstairs apartment with the two beds. It was a great way to experience San Juan. It is within walking distance to several restaurants and stores. Just hop on bus T5 and it will take you to old San Juan for $.75. Easy walk to the beach. The neighborhood does appear a little rough, but we never had any problems at all. Highly recommend.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Eric H

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My family and I stay in Posada for 12 great days,spacious apartment well furnished,good neiborhood,excellent host.The location gives a the travelers choices to go to old san Juan,Condado,Isla Verde or if want to experience Puerto Rico major highways are close and easy access.I have recomended this place to friends who are planning to go to the Island,and to any reader of this review it will be a great experience im going back next year to have more fun

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alexander M
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The Posada is located between Isla Verde and El Condado, the two main San Juan tourist strips, but the neighborhood is working class neighborhood. 15 minutes from the Posada puts you at several beaches, old San Juan, Plaza Las Americas Mall and many great restaurants. The main east/west highway (26) is two blocks away.

All that said, we stayed in the downstairs apartment. It was listed for up to 4 people. We had 3 staying and 2 visiting during the day. We found it tight. There is no real sitting area, the TV is in the bedroom. The kitchen has basic items. You will need to pick up food and paper goods. You are given the sheets and two towels for each person.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magjek
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for four nights in the back front apartment. It was spacious, furnished, even had a kitchen and pots and pans and cooking utensils, and silverware and all that. AC was good, it was in a pretty safe neighborhood in Condado/Ocean Park, about maybe 25 min by bus to Old San Juan. You can walk to Playa Ocean Park in like five minutes, which was amazing. There's a very friendly cat on the premises. It was a very comfortable stay, and the hosts/owners were kind enough to pick us up from the airport and drop us off with no extra charge. Only complaint is that the wifi didn't work for our entire stay, and the water pressure in the shower was basically just a trickle, and it was lukewarm at best.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank boogaba
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have to join the other reviewers in stating that Shawn was fantastic - he picked us up from the airport, gave us a short tour, and even gave us a ride home from the grocery store. The location is very close to the beautiful beach and grocery store - walking distance - and the neighborhood is authentic and pretty darn nice. We enjoyed the Puerto Rican experience! I came with me 3 daughters so two of them slept in the bedroom. My other daughter and I slept in the 2 twin trundle beds. To be very honest, I did not sleep well at all. I checked and the twin mattresses are the plastic-covered, inexpensive ones that offer very little support. My daughter agreed. They would be wise to invest in new ones. The other improvement should be the wifi which is very weak. We don't necessarily need to be on Facebook, but we need it to plan and check other details of our trip since we do not have iPhones. All in all, the stay was lovely - great kitchen, great neighborhood, great value, and great hosts. I would certainly recommend.

Room Tip: For two travelers the private room is quiet. If there are more individuals and they are required to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JudyWild
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at the Posada Colonial the first week of June. It was our first trip to PR and we really wanted something off the beaten path. I chose the Posada Colonial because of the reviews. I wanted something where I felt safe yet away from the touristy parts of San Juan. The Posada Colonial was perfect. When we arrived, our host Shawn picked us up from the airport. He gave us a great tour of the neighborhood around the Posada Colonial including the 24 hour grocery store, the public transportation bus stops, lots of great restaurants and bars and also how to get to the beach. The next day, we rented a car so we could see more of the island and Sean was gracious enough to give us a lift to the car rental place. Shawn and his wife, Christiane, were wonderful hosts. We will be returning with other family members in the Fall and I can't wait. We plan to always stay at the Posada Colonial. It has a great location as you can walk to a really fantastic beach, you are close to an exit to get back on the main highway and walking distance to so many restaurants and bars as well. We stayed in the first floor apt that sleeps 4 however there was only me and my husband. The bedroom has the only air conditioner which was great at night. The apt has lots of windows and wonderful breezes. Other reviews spoke of bugs being a problem but not for us. (again we were there the first week of June) There are several cats that live on or around the street. We were adopted by a cat called, "Pillow." I would have smuggled him home if I could have. He was very sweet but never a pest. Overall, I would recommend the Posada Colonial to anyone. The rates are great. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The neighborhood is safe. The hosts, Shawn and Christiane live in the house next door so they are close should you need anything and they are so accommodating. REALLY enjoyed our stay and consider the Posada Colonial our Puerto Rican home. We are talking about moving there when we retire. That's how much we loved it!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank tcloud5
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Stayed here on one of my many trips to PR on business. It was very stylish and comfortable. Sometimes the neighbourhood got noisy, but I expected that. I was able to park on the street. Ocean View is a nice, laid back part of San Juan with easy walking to the beach. The hostess, Christiane was excellent. She was very good with communication before and after my visit, encouraged recycling, and was helpful in every way (although I am pretty self sufficient in PR). The house has been renovated relatively recently but in a very classic Spanish/Puerto Rican style so it feels authentic, but in a stylish and quality way. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business