“Loved La Concha!”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Astoria, New York
“Loved La Concha!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here for the long 4th of July weekend. Our flight was delayed for 3+ hours on Friday night and we did not check into the hotel until 3AM...no problem at all. The lobby was still very lively and check in was a breeze. The room was very nice. It had a small refrigerator and it was very clean. The entire hotel is very well kept. I've read many complaints about the shower, it did not bother me at all. I enjoyed the dual shower heads, they both worked well and the shower was spacious.

We were very hungry when we arrived so we went up to the room, showered and went out to get something to eat. Easily found food close by at this hour. After, we stopped by the casino and got back to our room after 6AM. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've slept on at a hotel and the pillows are heavenly!! The view from our room was gorgeous but I missed having a balcony. We had an end unit which did not even have any balcony at all and that was a disappointment. Although, I liked that the large window opened up and I could hear the ocean, just not the same as sitting out on your balcony. We had lunch by the pool at Solera and it was delicious...so was the Sangria and White Lace cocktail :) We spent the day at the adult pool and security did great with not allowing any kids in. This spot of the hotel was very quiet as were many other spots. The property is very large, yet you can find plenty of areas to be alone or be within a crowd if you want, I liked that a lot. Pools were small for such a large resort but we never had a problem getting chairs. For me, the beach is nothing to write home about as it looks like most NY beaches just with a prettier atmosphere, but I expected this and didn't go for the beach. The hotel staff was always very friendly and helpful. It can get noisy at night, we had a party going on outside our room door one night...early morning actually. I didn't complain to anyone about it. There was another door behind the main room door, so I closed it and that took care of the noise problem. No matter what time we got back to our hotel there was always activity in the pools and the lobby, very lively hotel. We had dinner at Latin Roots in Old San Juan and they had live music and very good food.

We had breakfast at Voga and it was very good but not enough. I had Eggs Benedict made with crab cakes and it was supposed to have avocado as well but they didn't have any (??) - it was still excellent but I did leave hungry. We had dinner at Latin Roots in Old San Juan and they had live music and very good food but ran out of Pernil by the time we arrived :( We had lunch across the street from La Concha at Angel Cafe or Cafe Angel (not sure) it was very good Puerto Rican food. Had EXCELLENT Shrimp Mofungo here!!

I have to say the absolute BEST meal we had was at Casa Lola - I will be craving that steak for a very long time...the Ropa Vieja Empanadas were soooooooo good and so was the cheese flan. The service by our waiter Juan Carlos was fantastic and the restaurant itself is very pretty with a great atmosphere.

We would definitely return to La Concha for a quick getaway again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trizi01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,307)
  • Polish first
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

The hotel is nice, but way too expensive for what it offers. I was extremely dissappointed in the beach. It looked like a Texas beach (not very pretty with green water). The staff is very friendly and helpful, but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon. The cheapest glass of wine in the main restaurant cost $15.00!!!!! PR is a great place to take your family to see the rich history, not a paradise to relax. There are many other places that make PR look very average.

The crime rate in Purto Rico is terrible. We never felt safe on the beach at night or on the street in front of the hotel. Homeless people asked for money every 100 feet. I don't understand why this hotel is rated so highly other than the nice staff. The location is horrible and the prices are way too high. I was very dissappointed and will never go to PR again. Bad beaches + High prices + high crime rate = waste of money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daahmad
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

A group of six friends stayed here for a 3 night getaway. There were a few things I wasn't happy with that have been covered here before; expensive drinks ($7.50 for a Medalla? Really?). But for the most part, this place didn't disappoint.

The hotel was very well-maintained. Maid service was right on the ball every time we asked for something. And we put them to the test. The pools were great and obtaining a lounge chair was shockingly easy. There's just so many of them!

The hot tubs could stand to be hotter. But maybe they keep them chillier on purpose due to the warm climate.

What was so convenient for us was having access to all that Condado has to offer. We walked to Starbucks every morning. We had a liquor across the street. Plus, we eat a number of local restaurants in the neighborhood. Our least favorite meal of the trip was actually Voga (inside the hotel).

This is not a great place for romance. But for a fun time with friends, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Balc/view mean a lot. Pay up for the ocnfrnt ste
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

This was the 2nd trip to la concha. The first time the hotel had just opened and the stay was wonderful! This time it was just ok.
Pros: excellent location, in the midst of great shopping and lots of goodvplaces to eat! Suites are a very nice touch and provides extra space and kitchens, good for leftovers. The staff was very nice.
Cons: checked inti the hotel and the guy said I didn't have a reservation because I was supposed to have checked in the day before. I had to pull out my iPad to show him the correct information for check in. This took a large amount of unnecessary time. Felt bad for holding up the line. Good part was that room was ready! The pool situation is awful! They have 3 pools here one of them being an adult pool. So why are kids swimming and crowding up the adult pool when there are 2 other pools for them to swim in?????? It got so bad that one time I looked at the pool and there was a pacifier floating in the adult pool. Yuck! I heard several people talk about this situation. There should be someone from mgmt to address this issue ASAP. People from the hotel sa this and said nothing. Cleaning of the room was ok, could have been better. Upon arrival i some some hair in the room that was not mine. Thats my pet peeve in hotels. Alll in all the stay was just ok. Was much better when it first opened! I think the management needs to be more involved and visible at la concha.

Room Tip: Suites is the way to go
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunshine11
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

From the moment my family and I arrived at La Concha on Tuesday June 7 through the day we left on Wednesday June 16, the service was impeccable. Felix Perez the doorman was there when we arrived and when we departed. He was very kind and accommodating. Raiza Medina the front desk concierge was awesome! She checked us in, made sure our requests as Platinum guests were met, greeted me by name daily, and gave us great advise on food and beaches. The Ocean Lounge serves as the Concierge Lounge. As a Platinum member of the Marriott Reward Program, this is often our favorite place to grab meals and drinks on our various travels. Michael Tischler the Manager was a favorite of my wife and kids, as well as Pablo Rivera, who also worked in the Oceans Lounge. They were truly great guys. The staff as a whole was genuinely pleasant and kind. They were always positive and only spoke well of the Island and its attributes.
Our room was fantastic. We had an upgrade to a corner suite, which had a separate kitchen area instead of the typical studio suite. The room was "laid" in true Renaissance fashion and every amenity was provided. We could see the ocean without getting out of bed. We went to sleep every night listening to the sound of the ocean waves clapping on the beach. The girls shared the the sofa bed, which was okay with them at 11 and 16 years of age, they had a large flat screen television to themselves.
A great aspect of the hotel, and there are many, is that you are literally a few yards from the ocean when you walk off the back patio. There are also 3 pools.
The location of the hotel was on the main drag Ashford and the hotel lobby turns into a club at night. Truly a good time, with tourists and locals alike. There is Starbucks located 3 blocks to the right of the hotel when exiting it, next to the Conrad. Ivet and her team were very courteous and kind. After day two, they remembered our drinks. La Concha is located 2 miles from Old San Juan which is similar in architecture and layout to the French Quarter in New Orleans. Saturday Night in Old San Juan is a must. We were about 30 miles from the Rainforest and Caves. We were also able to visit some of the local beaches and eat local food in Pinones' . I suggest renting a car and putting your own personal tours together. The paid tours were very expensive and we were able to view the same attractions for a fraction of the price. Danny's International Restuarant, a few blocks from La Concha has great food, and if we had planned better would have gone to grocery store for food to stock the fridge. Instead we bought snacks and everything from Walgreans. Not the most economical decision. There is a subway and Chilli's walking distance from the hotel.
This was our first visit to the Caribbean. La Concha and their staff made us feel special every minute we were there. That was the best choice for hotel and I would not stay anywhere else on the Island if given the opportunity to visit again.
Thanks La Concha staff for helping to make our stay unforgettable!

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott Rewards member call ahead.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank GoTigers19
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

The La Concha Resort was awesome! We were greeted by Felix when we arrived and his smile and energetic personality let us know we had made a GREAT choice! As we entered the hotel lobby we were very impressed with the contemporary decor. Our rooms were not ready, but we were compensated for the inconvenience :-) While we waited we sat in the lobby and had cocktails, chips and salsa. They were superb, pricey, but superb!!! I entered my suite and loved it!!!!!!!!! Everything was so modern...TV, i-Dock, and sophisticated shower!!! Felix was very helpful and was always there to ensure that we ate at the best spots and our cab drivers were on point. Actually all of the bellman were awsome...I loved this hotel and HIGHLY reccomend this resort if visiting San Juan. The food was soooooooo good at Voga the Italian restauant. 5 STARS all the way!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank iCandyDiva
Little River P.o.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

The suites in the new tower are amazing and the grounds and architecture are breathtaking. We had a great time in the water but they do have an undertow so you can't go out very deep but still enjoyable. We had great service from everyone at the hotel. We took cabs to get downtown and that was costly. Be sure and get a verbal commitment from the cab driver re the amount before you leave. We had a few drivers try and get more money from us at the end than was agreed to.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,111 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!