“Vibrant atmosphere, friendly service, so-so rooms”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was our third time it stay at La Concha, but the first time with our kids. As always, the front desk staff and bellmen were incredibly friendly and helpful. We had reserved a city view one bedroom suite but were upgraded to ocean view at no charge. The lobby and pool area are always active and hopping! The lobby and pool area are immaculate! The beach area is I think the most spacious on the Condado beach. The hotel is perfectly located close to many restaurants, upscale shopping, and a nearby Starbucks and Walgreen.
As mentioned we were traveling with our 2 kids, 11 and 15. Usually we are able to get away with a king bed plus pull-out sofa. And as this was a suite, I was expecting to have enough room. However, when we arrived after 11pm from our flight and got situated, we pulled out the sofa bed to find that it was quite simply the worst pull out bed I've ever seen......EVER! It was barely larger than a twin and was quite thin and flimsy. At that late hour we simply made do, knowing that it was only one night. But please know that no matter what they say, these rooms will not adequately accommodate 4 people! The suites do have a kitchenette, with ice maker. The ocean view from the balcony is lovely. The bathrooms are spacious.
I would stay here again, but would make sure to get two queen/double beds rather than use sofa bed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Stephelps

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

I was not especially impressed with the hotel. Good location / view and convenient to the beach, but service in general is slow (I waited over 15 minutes to pick up my key at the front desk after I'd already checked in (no elite desk)), and well over 30 minutes for my bag to be delivered up to my room. Rooms are modern/minimalist. I'd strongly recommend the full service Marriott just up the beach over the Renaissance, especially since the price point is similar.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Theoface
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Theoface,

I acknowledge receipt of your experience through Trip Advisor of your past experience while visiting our hotel. I would like to convey to you my most sincere apologies for obviously not meeting your expectations and standards at La Concha Resort.

Your comments are well taken and it is through letters and comments like yours that allow us to point out the areas where we may need to improve... I have met with our entire Operational manager’s regarding your comments and concerns and we will take matters.

Dear Theoface, once again I apologize for the inconveniences and hope this does not keep you from giving us another opportunity to prove to you the true service offered in our hotel for which we are well known.

If we may be of any assistance in the future towards your next stay with us, please do not hesitate in contacting myself or our Front Desk Manager Denise Padilla (erivera@laconcharesort.com) at any time.

Cordially,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Beautiful hotel, nice rooms, friendly staff. Stayed for 4 nights for a recent business trip in an Ocean View room (make sure you ask for a higher floor or you'll be looking at a tree or the restaurant) and everything was perfect. Could use another reasonably priced restaurant on site, but other than that, it was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room on the ocean side for the best views and least amount of obstructions.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lawrencemon
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We travel here often for work. The hotel is centrally located, the beach is beautiful, rooms are well-appointed. You even get complimentary travel-sized Aveda bath products. The service is impeccable. I've traveled to many places in the world. Hector Torres' service at the pool and salon is hands down, the best. He makes you feel welcome, and right at home. I'll be back again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Some rooms down a separate entrance hall are available and are exceptionally q...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rita G
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We just stayed here my husband and on march 6th to the 10th it was the worse service ever u would sit at bar no one would even say hello u literally had to flag them down to get a drink and they were not even friendly or apologetic for the wait our room overlooked a run down parking garage beach service awful literally two guys there who could care less if u needed a chair and argued in Spanish over me as I was trying to relax about their tips check out the girl at check out didn't even ask how our stay was or sat thank u for staying with la concha nothing!!!!! The store in hotel the lady working their gabbed the whole time on phone while I waited 20 minutes before I decided to walk out last but not least stayed in suite towers rooms smelled like must and hotel took at least 8 minutes to come up they should b ashamed of their employees worse service I've had in a long time the only good and friendly service was Jose who opened our taxi and greeted us they should really promote him because he was the only staff member who actually made an effort never again !!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Eits 117,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. It saddens me to learn that we didn’t meet your standards in your stay. There is no reason why this issue was not resolved immediately by our staff Our one of Managers make themselves available to assist you.

On the other hand, I am glad to know that Jose “One of our best employees” was there for you and that his service was quick and attentive. Please give La Concha Resort a Second Change to make your stay memorable.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I will gladly make all the arrangements for you!!

At your Service,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband was given an incentive trip to this hotel through his business. We did not pay airfare or for the room at the hotel. We stayed in the Tower and had a beautiful ocean view. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The room was modern but not large. I liked that it had a fridge, freezer and microwave, as well as dishes and silverware. The bathroom, while modern with a walk in glass shower, still felt kind of old, perhaps due to stained tile and grout. The beach is very clean, the sand is soft, and the water was kind of rough. The bed was comfortable. If you eat and buy drinks at the hotel, be prepared to spend a lot! A lunch sandwich or salad was around $16-18. A local beer $6/bottle. However, due to its central location, you can easily buy cheaper beer and liquor at Walgreens or various other stores within a two block distance. There were also several places to eat nearby. The pool was heated, not extremely refreshing in the heat. Overall, we had a great experience. I didn't give it more stars because I have been to other resorts where things felt more peaceful and serene and "exclusive".

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed Feb. 22nd for one night before a cruise. We used Marriott points and more Marriott points to upgrade to ensure an ocean view room.
The hotel was as we remembered. Very fun vibe, modern, nice staff. Probably one of the nicest on San Juan!
We were disappointed to be given a tiny room behind the elevator (room 818). While it did have an ocean view it was soooo small and accessed by a small dingy hallway beside the elevator. Perhaps because we were only there one night but I was disappointed to be sure. This room should be offered at a substantial discount! Last year we were given a room in the same category with a sofa, little desk.....The hotel was full so we sighed and made the best of it!

We love the adult only pool but it became totally shaded by about 1 pm. Last year it was heated to a lovely warm temperature but this year it was not warm at all. Not sure why? The centre main pool was nice and enjoyed by lots of children. Lots of towels and cold water available which was nice.

Great hotel. There can be glitches anywhere. Wish we had a better room but otherwise a good stay.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Hamiltontraveller

Dear Hamiltontraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am grateful to be aware of the issues that you experienced. I am also very thankful to have this opportunity to assure the members of Trip Advisor that we take all comments and reviews extremely serious and under consideration for guest’s delight.

I am really Sad by your comment that we were unable to make it happen on your second stayed with us.. All of us at La Concha Resort are proud to have built our reputation over the years by having some of the trendiest, edgiest and most caring staff and we truly believe all our guests deserve to be treated with the highest level of service. All our training programs and standards have one common goal, to exceed guests’ expectations.
I would like to have the opportunity to personally apologize that you didn’t get the same category from your previous stay.
Please come a third time to enjoy of our beautiful property, we will do everything in our power to ensure your stay will be a pleasant one. Should you need any assistance to make the future reservation or, special requests or would like additional amenity please do not hesitate on contacting me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!