“Great hotel!”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at La Concha during spring break with our two sons (age 18 and 19). When we first booked they said we couldn't get two rooms together, but when we got there, my sons room was right next to ours, which was great! The concierge, Jeffrey, was very informative and helpful, especially with our excursions. The room was a little tired, but we had beautiful views. The location was fabulous, we walked to lunch and dinner a couple of times and we went to Old San Juan twice! My husband and I like the beach, and my sons like the pools - so there was something for everyone!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann G
Write a ReviewReviews (7,634)

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel lobby, the lounge, and the area around the pools is gorgeous. I wonder if the discrepancies in the reviews stems from travelers staying in the new versus old wing of the hotel. We were put in the older wing, despite being Marriott Platinum members. Apparently, the new wing only has king beds and we needed doubles. Our room, while far from luxurious, had a lovely ocean front view, but no balcony. The storage options were quite decent.

Most every one offered good service, but the front desk staff was brusque during check-in and the concierge was truly negligent. We asked him his opinions on two restaurants and he said -- "it is not my job to judge" Whaaaat? On another day, we asked him to make reservations for us but when we arrived the restaurant told us that they didn't have reservations in our name. Luckily, they accommodated us. At this point we really had our doubts about his follow through, so walked up to him to confirm the reservation we had made for another night on our way out and were told that the restaurant we had chosen was full but that he had made another reservation elsewhere--without informing us. We just ended up going to the restaurant of our choice anyway and it was nearly empty. Just don't get it.

Stay here only if you won't need concierge services and are booked for a high ocean front room in the new wing.

Room Tip: The pool area is loud! Choose a high floor in the new wing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank FoodieTravelFun
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear FoodieTravelFun,

Thank you for sharing this information with me. I am deeply concerned and very embarrassed that you found so many issues with our Concierges staff.
I truly apologize for this unacceptable experience and wish to inform that we are very serious in regards to make each and every one of our guest explore in and outside the hotel. We follow Marriott guidelines and try at all times to keep our rooms in a perfectly clean condition and to obviously honor all guest requests if available.

Please be assured that I will follow up to ensure this does not happen again.

Again, I apologize for this unfortunate incident.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Let me start by staying that as a Platinum Elite Marriott member that I have a lot of experience in Marriott brand hotels, so my expectations are based on those experiences.

The pros:

+Beautiful views of the beach from the room
+The staff is super friendly (less the checkin girl)
+Convenient to almost anywhere you want to go in the San Juan area
+The free breakfast in the Ocean Lounge was fantastic (Only applies to Gold and Platinum members, otherwise $35 a day)
+Great pools and entertainment
+Clean, nice accommodations

Cons
-Checkin girl was rushed and less than pleasant; however, this was the only employee we encountered that was throughout our entire stay
-Despite reserving a King, we got stuck with 2 double beds. Not ideal for a couples retreat
-I was denied an upgrade to a better room, or even the King that I reserved, which is like spitting on a Platinum member

All in all we had a nice time and enjoyed our stay. I can't say enough about how friendly majority of the staff is and how helpful they are. We are likely to stay somewhere else the next time we go simply due to the fact that we were stuck with double beds, the management made no attempt to correct it, they made no apology for the error of even make a token points offer; nothing. While the visit was nice, I expect much more in meeting the reserved accommodation as a Platinum member.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joseph J

Dear Mr.Joseph J,

Thank you for sharing your past experience in La Concha Resort. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

We strongly believe that it is our obligation to present you with outstanding facilities and friendly, cordial and efficient service.
We value the opinions and suggestion of all guests and I will share your thoughts with our Operation Team.

Also I will like to extend you an invitation once again to our property and make it up to you and make our lovely Hotel your “Home away from Home”. Please allow me to help you out with your reservation arrangements.

Our success has been built upon friendly and professional hospitality to our guests.

Regards,

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I made the reservation on a travel site I never heard of before. I was very happy when I called a couple of days before my stay and the staff did a comprehensive walk through of the reservation, and everything was correct.
The front desk staff were very friendly, helpful and accurate. They made sure they had my Marriott number on the reservation. When I got to the room, it was a better view than I had reserved. The room was spacious and in great shape. Bathroom was high end. The room phone didn't make much sense, but that was the only trouble I had.
My stay was only a short one night, but I would stay here again. Location turned out to be within blocks of everything I was visiting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel post 35th wedding anniversary cruise. One of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. Great pools and whirlpools with multiple choices, landscape and architecture absolutely induced serenity and relaxation. The rooms were very well appointed and upscale amenities. The staff was outstanding and went above and beyond to answer ever need or request. I highly recommend this property as the best in San Juan, you will not be sorry for staying here.

Room Tip: All the oceanfront rooms are amazing with protected sliding glass doors that open to take in the sou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This hotel/resort is nice but left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths. The lobby design and amenities are very nice with the bar in the center. The rooms are very large and they have added an additional door to the sleeping area to block the noise from the walkway balconies. And, there dis a LOT of noise form the pool/common areas and all of the kids (lots of kids!!) The manager at the Solera grill needs a lesson in hospitality. There are no signs saying that certain seating around the pool is reserved for Solera but we were very rudely asked to leave when we were sitting there one night at 11 PM when no seats were taken and no one was waiting. We will look at other choices the next time we return to San Juan. A shame because with a little attitude adjustment this could be close to #1.

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront room and the view was fabulous. Unfortunately the sliding door opens onto a 8...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights at this hotel. The location is great. Less than 10 minute cab ride to Old San Juan. Close to airport. Beautiful beach. The hotel staff is very accommodating. The room was spotless. The pools are beautiful and very unique. My stay overlapped with spring break so there were many college students at the main pool. I really enjoyed my stay. Everyone tried very hard to make my stay great

• Stayed: February 2014