“Pearl of the Condado!”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We just returned from an 8 night stay at La Concha. We have passed through San Juan many times but have never stayed more than a night. We were thrilled with La Concha. From the moment the front door staff opened the door of our taxi to the folks at the front desk. Everyone could not have been more welcoming. Alfonso brought our bags up to the room and took the time to explain all the features of the room and told us never to hesitate to call if we needed anything.

Our room was quite nice and well appointed (a 1 bedroom suite city view in the suite tower). Everything you would need to make breakfast or have “hora feliz” in your room before dinner. We never had an issue with noise as other posters have commented on. However we did use earplugs as the AC fan was very loud.

Housekeeping was always prompt. We only experienced issues on the weekend when they have a high turnaround of guests. Sometimes items were not replaced in the room like coffee, water, face cloths or bath mats but a quick shout out to another housekeeper working in the hall was more than eager to help out. Special thanks to Margarita.

Dinner the first night in La Perla was outstanding. It is such a romantic setting and the service provided by Marya was top notch. We had lunch every day at Solera. Items were generally well prepared and served promptly.

Most days were spent on the beach where there were ample chairs and towels if you showed up at any time of day. No need to run down and save chairs like at other resorts. Nestor on the beach was very charming and always had time to chat.

We travel to Mexico generally at this time of year and wanted to change things up. There was so much to do in and around San Juan and the other restaurants we visited for dinner were quite good. We can’t wait to come back and hope to see many familiar faces soon.

Thanks La Concha for a great vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ywgtravellers
Write a ReviewReviews (7,709)

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We just returned from spending 4 days at this beautiful resort. We had a very relaxing and positive experience. The check is was quick and easy, staff is very friendly and very accommodating most of the time. We had some minor issues but nothing worth complaining about, and the staff addressed them to our satisfaction. The resort is beautiful, clean. The best thing is all 3 pools are open 24/7 and they're heated!! We stayed at the Suite Tower, had a spacious room, ocean view balcony. That's the only way to go here. The city views are far from pretty. The beach was beautiful. The only real complaint we had was the waiter service at the beach, slow is an understatement and getting their attention proved to be a challenge. Other than that everything was great. We had dinner at Perla, highly recommend it!! Ahmed the bar tender very friendly, can recommend great restaurants and makes great drinks! We had a very late flight out and they let us have a very late check out, which let us enjoy the resort the entire last day. We greatly appreciated it!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan G
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great time. The staff were amazing and made us feel so welcome. The rooms were clean and the Perla restaurant was out of this world. Our maid was also top notch! Located within walking distance of Old San Juan.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Boyd D
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel pre and post a cruise out of San Juan. It is a very clean and modern property. The room was nice with a modern and minimal decor. We had an ocean facing room so one wall was all glass with a sliding door. Multiple layers of curtains kept the morning sun out if you wanted to sleep a bit longer. The room was well appointed, clean and in good condition. This hotel is also located right on the beach and has excellent pools and hot tubs. Several restaurants and bars make is a fun scene. On the downside, the hotel is very busy. You are often waiting for a elevator and service can be slow, but this is a also a trend in San Juan itself. All of us reserved 2 double bed rooms in advance, but they tried to give us one king bed. They seemed to be trying to do that with everyone. The lobby was very busy with music and parites on Saturday night, so if you are looking for quite, not sure this is the place. If you are looking for a fun, happening scene with great pools and beach access this is a good bet.

Room Tip: Splurge on an ocean front room...it's a great view and worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rainer49
Reviewed 7 April 2014

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were greeted like family. The doorman Felix was so impressive when we arrived that my wife and I knew it was the right hotel choice we made. Suites were huge and clean, balcony with ocean view was great and the staff tendered to any needs we had. The lobby bar was exciting to be part of during our stay and the bartenders were pleasant to deal with. The pools were fantastic and overall we would stay again at the La oncha and also recommend to anyone. At checkout there was a minor issue with the charges for the room but that issue was immediately corrected by the front desk staff.

Room Tip: ocean view with balcony is the rooms to stay in
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I just got back from a 3 night Babymoon at La Concha and we couldn’t be happier. After reading many TripAdvisor reviews I decided to contact the general manager Mr. Eduardo Rivera about requesting a quiet, Ocean View room on a high floor and he came through with flying colors. I reserved a Junior Suite Ocean Front room before contacting him but he responded back to my email saying that we would be taken care of and the room was perfect.

Check-In was brief and efficient and our room was ready right away. It was in the older section of the hotel but the room was very spacious for two people and when you close the glass partition door all you hear is the ocean (if you open the sliding door which we did) or nothing else, which guaranteed us both a great sleep. Thank you again Mr. Rivera!

I think to fully enjoy La Concha, like we did, you have to understand what it is. First and foremost this is a resort right in San Juan in the bustling Condado district. While it’s right on a beach and designed for maximum isolation there is no denying that you are staying in a city hotel rather than a completely secluded resort with nothing else around. I would understand if we came here and got the same kind of city view and noise we have in Brooklyn and we would have been very disappointed. However, La Concha, when used correctly gives you a bit of everything.

We got the Ocean view, the quiet adult pool by the new building, the exciting lobby bar that is always a party, a small but always roomy beach, and an amazing area where there are dozens and dozens of bars and restaurants a mile or more in either direction. There is a larger pool (actually two pools with one being on a higher level right near the lobby) where there are families and people relaxing and partying all day long. The fun was never out of control but expect lots of girls’ weekends, wedding parties, bachelor parties, honeymooners, and families enjoying the sun.

The hotel tries to offer something for everyone and for the most part they succeed. There is always someone at the beach to set up beach chairs and an umbrella for you. The beach, like all beaches in San Juan, is public so on weekends it gets pretty crowded with locals and people from other resorts but honestly as long as I had my chair in the sand I was happy and this did not bother me. Also, if you get up early (before 10 a.m.) then you can have your pick of any lounge chair anywhere on the property.

The wifi always worked for me and I found the employees ranged from very friendly to efficient which is fine for me as long as I’m nice and relaxed.

Where La Concha didn’t succeed to me was in the food / beverage area. We only had lunch by the pool the first day and my hamburger was not very good with a cold, hard bun and frozen French fries for $16. Also, the Mojitos were $11 and were watered down and not worth the price. Also, trying to flag down a server by the pool or beach wasn’t easy and even after you ordered it often took a long time to actually get your beverage of choice. I would recommend La Concha upgrading this element as they would have more happy customers and they would make a ton more money!

Also, be warned, paying for any upscale food in this area is expensive. It’s on par or higher than many excellent New York City restaurants, but with a little research and commitment that you are just going to be paying 20% higher than you would like you can have a really great time. We went to Walgreens when we got there and loaded up on cheap snacks, water, and beer, which I would recommend doing as well. Also, any quick search on Yelp gives you a very good snapshot of what is popular around the area and for the most part those places were hits. We went out to dinner somewhere different every night and really enjoyed a nice variety of food.

I would recommend Pinkys for Breakfast or lunch. My wife liked her smoothie and eggs a lot.

For dinner I highly recommend Ropa Vieja (skirt steak with Puerto Rican Spices), Oceano (Scallops), Central Steakhouse (Lamp Chops), and Il Postino (Penne).

All of these places are .5 miles or less away from La Concha and were all very solid options but a bit pricey. There are also much cheaper food options (Wendys, Subway, Chilis, some local Mexican spots) so anything is possible because there are so many places to choose from. We didn’t really explore the nightlife but from the sheer quantities of bars in the area no one seemed to be lacking a spot to pick up a Medalla Light or three.

Everyone travels with different experiences in mind and for us La Concha checked off just about every box we wanted. It’s convenient, modern, and relaxing….just what we wanted.

Room Tip: An Ocean View is a must or you want to pretend you are not in the middle of a city. Also, a higher f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank randomrules
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was the third time I've stayed at this hotel, I've made positive reviews about this hotel before but I can honestly say that I have never had such a horrible experience with customer service and reservations in my entire life. First the website is poorly designed, they give you the same rate for a 2 queen suite as a 1 king suite. The problem with this is that when you specify that you want either a 2 queen suite or a 1 king suite it is NOT a guarantee. I requested a 2 queen city facing suite and when I booked I noticed that it said not guaranteed. Normally I wouldnt have a problem with this but if I am paying for a room that specifically has a certain set up I expect to GET that set up ie 2 queen beds instead of 1 king bed. I called the hotel and spoke with several people who basically told me 'ehh too bad you'll find out what kind of room you have when you get here'. I even spoke to Eduardo Rivera who is one of the managers who specifically told me that I would be getting a suite with 2 queen beds. Ok I thought the problem was solved until I arrived. I arrived and of course all they can do is give me a 1 king suite, and there was "nothing they could do" the lady who checked me in was completely useless. They gave me another room "with a view" which I quite frankly did not care for because it was NOT what I requested. I dont care about the view, I care about how many beds are in the room. They also gave me some coupons for free tapas which by the way ended up giving us stomach problems. Eventually they gave me the room I originally requested which is the only reason why this rating is poor rather than terrible. The trip started with a room I did not request and ended with stomach problems from free food.

I had another reservation for July which of course I have already cancelled. I will NEVER stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Manny T
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Manny T,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Tripadvisor and sharing your experience with La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort.

You indicated in your response that our service did not meet the standards and for this isolated incident I do apologize.

I take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. My personal goal is to address every concern so that we can ensure all of our guests have an exceptional experience. Indeed with spoke about your guaranteed 2 beds of your reservation through a third party with the confirmation number you gave me. However you personally made a new reservation with our In-house reservation Department with a lower rate and by doing so the 2 beds were no longer guaranteed and the reservation we spoke about was cancelled. Based on our records an email was sent advising you about the aforementioned changes on 3/27/14.

We value all of our customers; everything we do is aimed to provide an excellent hotel experience. If I may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services.