“Great hotel that could use a few minor changes - and be ready to spend $$$”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Wallington, NJ
“Great hotel that could use a few minor changes - and be ready to spend $$$”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I just got back from a 5 day, 4 night stay at La Concha. I figured I'd just bullet out some of my key findings so its a bit easier for you to read.

*Check in - we arrived at 12:30 in the afternoon and our room was ready! That was HUGE as I had read from many that check in went way later than the 4pm time - so we were really lucky for that.

*Room - We had a Junior Suite Oceanview - the view was worth the extra money. It was sooo nice to open the door and have the waves and wind as you relaxed. The suite had good amount of space, we never felt cramped. After a couple days the room started to smell really musty - like wet and old. We then realized that there were NO HOOKS in the entire room so you couldn't hang any towels to dry, any wet bathing suites etc...so after a few days of them "drying" over chairs, the smell really got to us. That would be my 1 major suggestion about the rooms - add a few simple hooks to the back or the doors. You could hang them out the balcony but it was really windy and you didn't want to risk losing anything!

*Pool/Grounds - Perfect! My hubby and I are not beach people, so we loved having the option of 4 pools and many many different areas so sit and lounge. That was great! When it was cloudy or rainy, we parked ourselves under one of the covered outdoor couch areas and just read for hours with a couple glasses of wine. That was true relaxation. THe pools were heated so they didn't provide any relief from the sun.

*Location - Great location to walk around find tons of places to each and drink. 10 min from Old San Juan but $15 each way. We didnt plan well and went on 3 different nights, making that almost $100 in taxi's alone! I wish we looked into a bus.

*Food/Drink at hotel - Ok - wasn't amazing, but was totally decent. But its SO EXPENSIVE!! $8 for not even a full beer, $14 for a glass of wine, $19 for a burger....no thanks. Like others suggested, walk 1 block to the left of the hotel and stop in the Walgreens - pick up some snacks, cases of water, wine and beer. While we came back broke from the trip, having some of those items stocked in our room made us not have to give up our 1st born to pay off the credit card bill :)

*Bar/Lounge - The Hotel is apparently the "hot" spot of the area - at night the lobby turns into a nigh club and its definitely on the trendy side. My cute Target sundresses didn't really fit in the with Gucci clad guys wearing sunglasses inside and gals with their tata's hanging out while they were sipping on $15 cocktails :)

*Local eats
Breakfast - Walk to the right of the Hotel and hit up Ben & Jerrys (yes, like the ice cream) They do a great breakfast for like $10-$12.
Punk Burger Bar - Walk to the left. While it says Burger Bar, they do have breakfast for like $8!
Marmalade in Old San Juan. If you are looking for a special, fancy and not cheap night out, take yourself to this restaurant. It was one of the best meals we have ever had.

I think that sums up some of the major points of the trip. Its a great spot, but I don't think we'll be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amy P
Eduardo R, Front Office Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Hola Amy P,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and rating us to be clean, comfortable, and friendly but also giving us some points that we can improve since our guest are our eyes and voice for years to come.

I truly hope that for your next visit to Puerto Rico you would give us another opportunity to be of service and show you all that we have to offer. If I should be of any assistance to you, please contact me at erivera@laconcharesort.com. It would be great to have you stay with us once more.

Eduardo Rivera
Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,357)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

From the time we walked into the lobby to sadly leaving five days later, we experienced excellent service, amenities, food, drinks, and accommodations! The bellman at the front entrance were top notch. They remembered all of us and were extremely helpful with suggestions of places to go, see, eat, drink, etc.

The check-in process was fantastic. We upgraded to a suite and loved it! The pools were great and the beach was very nice. The food at the hotel was fabulous. We ate lunch at the pool bar area and had dinner at Voga, the Italian restaurant that was one of my best meals I have had. Everywhere you turned, the service was excellent.

The hotel is located in a great place- easy to walk to restaurants, bars, shopping. It is also a quick cab ride to go to Old San Juan, which is a must see! When we returned from our trip, we were ready to plan the next back to San Juan and stay at La Concha!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CincinnatiTara
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 10 April 2014

2 times staying in the hotel and coordinating workshops for our employees, Excellent staff attendance from the Banquet group. Special thanks to Mario Giménoz from banquets, he went the extra mile to please us, a group of 26. Front desk, housekeeping staff always with a smile. Definitely will do business again with them. Highly recomended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HumacaoO
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I absolutely loved staying at this hotel. The view from our ocean view room on the fourth floor was spectacular! I could lie in bed and see the ocean crashing and near the incredible soothing sounds of the water. The Perla Restaurant was delicious and stunning in its remarkable beauty. The indoor/outdoor pools were infinity pools with no end and you just felt the peace and tranquility... even when crowded. The food was awesome... a must try are the deep fried bananas with chocolate sauce! Serious addiction! Their guacamole was rocking and the drinks delicious! I could have stayed another week and been absolutely delighted. The location of this hotel is in the heart of San Juan so you have the urban feel on one side of the hotel, and the ocean, surf and sand on the other.... something I have not experienced before...and I loved it! A big shout out to Felix Perez who would greet us daily at the door and his wonderful charming attitude, smiles and pride for his job was remarkable! La Concha, you truly have a gem in this outstanding doorman. I'd love to return to San Juan and visit again! Five star and a must visit!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SpicyJan
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We loved the hotel.The staff was fantastic. We never had a single problem. They gave us great hints about the surrounding area and some day trips. The hotel is in the middle of the city but once u step in it is exciting and relaxing at the same time. I didn't know what to expect and we had family with us .I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of restaurants were within walking distance. All in all we wanted to stay longer and will come back soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa J
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

2nd time staying at this location. Upon arrival, reserving the room via Marriott website was easy. Check in was a breeze especially being that my flight was delayed and my bf had to check in before me. All I did was make a call to Marriott then confirmed w the hotel. Room was very clean, no hair anywhere (my pet peeve) and the bf was impressed as well. Room service was great evenings the minor mistakes (employee in training). Only con was service cut off is 11pm. Really? Weekends too? No bueno. Beach access was amazing. No fees for chairs, tables, or umbrellas. Staff everywhere went above and beyond to assist. Oh, being an elite member, we went to members only lounge. NOTE: you cannot take fruit out of there being that in the past guests have claimed food poisoning. Funny thing was that the same worker that told me I could not, watched a lady stuff fruit in a cup an exited. Interesting. Pools were axing, gym, full of modern equipment. Personal trainer included. All in all, you cannot go wrong with this location minus a few minor hiccups.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Prettyteeth
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We just returned from an 8 night stay at La Concha. We have passed through San Juan many times but have never stayed more than a night. We were thrilled with La Concha. From the moment the front door staff opened the door of our taxi to the folks at the front desk. Everyone could not have been more welcoming. Alfonso brought our bags up to the room and took the time to explain all the features of the room and told us never to hesitate to call if we needed anything.

Our room was quite nice and well appointed (a 1 bedroom suite city view in the suite tower). Everything you would need to make breakfast or have “hora feliz” in your room before dinner. We never had an issue with noise as other posters have commented on. However we did use earplugs as the AC fan was very loud.

Housekeeping was always prompt. We only experienced issues on the weekend when they have a high turnaround of guests. Sometimes items were not replaced in the room like coffee, water, face cloths or bath mats but a quick shout out to another housekeeper working in the hall was more than eager to help out. Special thanks to Margarita.

Dinner the first night in La Perla was outstanding. It is such a romantic setting and the service provided by Marya was top notch. We had lunch every day at Solera. Items were generally well prepared and served promptly.

Most days were spent on the beach where there were ample chairs and towels if you showed up at any time of day. No need to run down and save chairs like at other resorts. Nestor on the beach was very charming and always had time to chat.

We travel to Mexico generally at this time of year and wanted to change things up. There was so much to do in and around San Juan and the other restaurants we visited for dinner were quite good. We can’t wait to come back and hope to see many familiar faces soon.

Thanks La Concha for a great vacation!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!